• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Lawmakers in Maine are debating a legislation that would prevent police from pulling people over for the sole offense of "not wearing a seatbelt." It would revert the law back to the days when it was a ticketable offense, only when already pulled over for another offense.

Yet the control freaks came out of the woodwork to defend these revenue-generating tools of the state. Lawmakers sat through testimony of cops and doctors, pleading with the congress to continue to punish non-violent crime. Think of all the fishing expeditions that would be prevented if this bill passed, they said.

I like what Sen. Ronald Collins had to say on the subject. "I'm a strong advocate of wearing seat belts. I encourage it, but I think it should be a choice."

Doctors and cops: Don't loosen Maine's seat belt law

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    $25 sure does bring in a lot of revenue. Especially in Marion County, where we have a special room we go to to swim in the piles of money. :rolleyes:

Who cares if its $1 or $25? It isn't your money to take and distribute.

Lets not pretend that these stops don't end up being extra opportunities to search people either.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Seatbelt laws for adults are about the dumbest ****ing thing I've ever heard of.

Kids are a different story...Parent's should be ticketed for not making sure their young ones are buckled.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I worked thousands of accidents!
    Never worked an accident where the person wearing a seatbelt was killed.
    Worked several where the person not wearing a seatbelt was thrown from the car and killed.
    A friend of mines son was killed when he hit the dash because he was not wearing a seatbelt.
    But OK
    If you want to make it an option go ahead.
    Maybe it'll thin the herd of the bullheads and the "Nothing can happen to me" idiots. :dunno:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Worked several where the person not wearing a seatbelt was thrown from the car and killed.
    A friend of mines son was killed when he hit the dash because he was not wearing a seatbelt.
    But OK
    Maybe it'll thin the herd of the bullheads and the "Nothing can happen to me" idiots.
    :dunno:

Exactly.

My vehicle doesn't leave the driveway/parking spot/etc before everyone I'm driving has their belt on, but to get pulled over and ticketed for it is moronic IMO.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Exactly.

My vehicle doesn't leave the driveway/parking spot/etc before everyone I'm driving has their belt on, but to get pulled over and ticketed for it is moronic IMO.
    Actually the law is enforced for the sake of the EMT's
    It's a lot less messy to transport people in single units as opposed to multiple pieces. :D

(I've seen that too):noway:

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I have to wear a seatbelt in my vehicle, but the guy passing me on a "2 wheeled death machine", my Mom's words not mine, doesn't have to wear a helmet. Or body armor. Or have training wheels. My child has to have a seatbelt on at all times, and if under size/age "X" a booster seat............... until they get on the taxpayer provided schoolbus. (my kids always wear a seatbelt, I do most of the time. ) I just think the double standard/ lack of logic is silly. I have car insurance, I have health insurance, I have life insurance. Driving a car without a seatbelt, is no more dangerous than countless other "elective" activities. People die every year.....skydiving,smoking,drinking, boating, skiing, falling out of tree stands, riding motorcycles,riding horses, scuba diving, shoveling snow and even in the throws of passion. Why all the concern about driving without a seatbelt, to the point of making a law against it , and not any of these other frivolous,dangerous activities? (ok, the last one is more of a necessity. but you get the point)

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Driving a car without a seatbelt, is no more dangerous than countless other "elective" activities. People die every year.....skydiving,smoking,drinking, boating, skiing, falling out of tree stands, riding motorcycles,riding horses, scuba diving, shoveling snow and even in the throws of passion. Why all the concern about driving without a seatbelt, to the point of making a law against it , and not any of these other frivolous,dangerous activities? (ok, the last one is more of a necessity. but you get the point)

All this is true. Life is dangerous. Government can't be a scolding parent, trying to save people from their own decisions.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    But OK
    Maybe it'll thin the herd of the bullheads and the "Nothing can happen to me" idiots. :dunno:
    I've never driven without my seat belt, and I would not do so without an extremely compelling reason, but I don't think the State should have the power to force me to wear it.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Who cares if its $1 or $25? It isn't your money to take and distribute.

Lets not pretend that these stops don't end up being extra opportunities to search people either.

Come on now, Rambone. You know that the police don't take or distribute the money. The police issue the ticket and the money is taken if the person decides to pay the ticket or appeals the ticket and loses and is fined by the judge. But you actually admitting that would go against your agenda.

And I'm sure you also know through your thousands of hours of internet research that the police cannot search you or your vehicle only for a seatbelt violation, that there has to be probable cause another crime was being committed in order for the search to occur. But admitting that would also go against your agenda.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    And the cool thing about being a cop is "officer discretion." I think it's a stupid, crappy law, and I don't enforce it.

Besides, the only reason that it's on the books is so that states are eligible for federal money from the NHTSA.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Growing up we never wore seatbelts and rode in the back of trucks. As far as I know my mom didnt kill me. Wear them but keep the STATE out of everyones business if you do not.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    And I'm sure you also know through your thousands of hours of internet research that the police cannot search you or your vehicle only for a seatbelt violation, that there has to be probable cause another crime was being committed in order for the search to occur. But admitting that would also go against your agenda.

You're right, they can't, but that doesn't mean that some of them won't find a reason to bully you into it. I mean this in no negative way towards police officers, but I've had something similar happen to me before, so forgive me if I don't wholeheartedly trust every single police officer who pulls me over.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Come on now, Rambone. You know that the police don't take or distribute the money. The police issue the ticket and the money is taken if the person decides to pay the ticket or appeals the ticket and loses and is fined by the judge. But you actually admitting that would go against your agenda.

Frank, I never made any claim about where the money was going. All I care about is that it is being taken out of citizens' pockets for a stupid reason.

So back to what I actually posted in the OP... I take it you are against Indiana taking similar measures.

An extra reason to stop, is just that. From there, we all know that people are getting asked for consent to searches that have absolutely no valid grounds to be performed. Its happened to me before. Searching me must have been a part of someone's agenda! :rolleyes:

Lets stick to the OP. Do you agree with the law or do you take this thread as a personal insult somehow?

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    But OK

You cannot honestly tell me you have worked "thousands of accidents" without 1 person being killed while wearing seatbelt? I spent 10 years in the fire service, and when a semi rolls over on top of a chevy aveo (for example), it doesn't friggin' matter what you are wearing! Sometimes it just doesn't matter.

Seatbelt laws are a perfect example of how the "establishment" continues the attempt to repress our cilvil liberties. This whole thing started with "for the safety of the children, they must sit in the back seat" laws, and has further escalated to being able to be stopped for not wearing a piece of nylon across your chest!

I'll get off the box now.

Top Bottom