• ...and so much more!
  • doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Hey All-

Looking for some info (more like a good review) on the Nagant Revolver.
    I know all the specs, looking at some first hand knowledge about the revolver? Been intrigued with this revolver for a long time, been shooting a 91/30 for awhile and love the damn thing. I figured the revolver would make a good partner for the 91/30.

What are the pro's/con's of the nagant revolver?
    Is it worth a purchase?

thanks and Semper Fi!

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    thanks, do you own one? Trying to find individuals local who own and shoot them regular. I think it would make a fun plinker, I know ammo may not be the cheapest, but the design fascinates me. Old world construction I guess? It wouldnt most likely compare to today's technology, but overall I think it would make a nice piece to any collection!

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    thanks, do you own one? Trying to find individuals local who own and shoot them regular. I think it would make a fun plinker, I know ammo may not be the cheapest, but the design fascinates me. Old world construction I guess? It wouldnt most likely compare to today's technology, but overall I think it would make a nice piece to any collection!

I don't own one but have also been tempted. From the limited reading that I've done on them I've found that they will actually chamber several different .32 cal. rounds. The proper Nagant round is only loaded by one company (I think) and yes... they aren't the cheapest round in the world. KS&E guns here in Lawrence was selling them from $99-$130 depending on year, condition, and rarity. :rockwoot: :patriot:

Last edited:

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Loved the movie the "Mummy" I know its not the same revolver, because Brandon Fraiser used the:

Chamelot-Delvigne Model 1873

But it does remind me of the gun (sort of), and I know I could not find the actual revolver or afford it but it would be a Hoot!!!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    One of my good friends owns one, and we've shot it quite a bit.

The Pros:
    1) It's an interesting piece of history
    2) It has virtually NO recoil. Think .22LR
    3) It's fairly accurate, if you can get past the trigger pull and virtually nonexistent sights (see below)
    4) The guns themselves are inexpensive to acquire and all the ones I've seen have been in really good shape

The Cons:
    1) The DA trigger is horrible. On par with the Polish P64 and Romanian M95 service pistols, which are the heaviest, nastiest examples I've ever tried. SA isn't bad, though.
    2) Slow to load, even slower to reload.
    3) Ammo isn't cheap and can be hard to find. Good news is, it's primarily new-loaded non-corrosive commercial stuff (Hotshot) and not 60+ year-old corrosive mil-surp.
    4) The long, skinny firing pin mounted on the hammer is subject to bending or breaking.

My friend's theory is that because of its anemic caliber and poor ergonomics and sights, the 1895 was more frequently used to execute deserters than it was to shoot at the enemy. ;)

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Loved the movie the "Mummy" I know its not the same revolver, because Brandon Fraiser used the:

Chamelot-Delvigne Model 1873

But it does remind me of the gun (sort of), and I know I could not find the actual revolver or afford it but it would be a Hoot!!!

One of my favorite movies and yeah.... that's a cool heater too!!! :patriot:

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    good price! Okay, have to ask-when doing transfers who would you recommend? The only reason I ask is because with the dealers that I have dealt with in Ft. Wayne, its more a inconvience than anything. They want way to much in my opinion-also there is the problem (at least with me) of sight unseen! I am very particular with what I buy, almost a little OCD, as my wife says. So any help would be awesome!!

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    There are a few guys on here that are FFLs the only one I know for sure is Michiana, but he's a bit out of your way.

Find An FFL

Auction arms has a search by zip code ^^

try that!

Good luck :)

and let me know how it is once you get it, I had my eye on one for a while

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    I have one and love it. Its a great plinker and pretty accurate. I have had no problems with it. I get ammo(7.62 Nagant) from Southern Ohio Guns for $22.95 per 50rds. There are several online dealers that sell the gun for $79.95 plus shipping and FFL fee. I shoot it all the time. Thinking about getting the .32 cylinder, althought they are almost the same cost as the whole gun. Mine was in very good condition. Just had to clean it up.

CyberGuyPR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    NWI
    If you are willing to wait a few weeks and spend $30 you can get an FFL 03 and have the revolver shipped directly to your front door. That's convenient!

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    If you are willing to wait a few weeks and spend $30 you can get an FFL 03 and have the revolver shipped directly to your front door. That's convenient!

Okay, forgive me but what would an FFL 03 be? :dunno:
    If you can give me the "FFL for Dummies" version, I would appriciate it!

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    A lot of people consider it to have "anemic" ballistics.

compared to a 32acp, it throws a bullet thats 25% heavier 100fps faster.
    compared to a 32naa, it is still slightly faster, and develops 20% more muzzle energy.

According to brass fetcher, either of those calibers will through-penetrate a 16" block of ballistic gelatin with non-expanding bullets. The Nagant bullets are of heavier construction than either, so I would expect them to penetrate a little farther still.

Put this in perspective of a military cartridge which came into service 30 years before the discovery of antibiotics. While the Nagant wont poke a huge hole, it will reach vitals without any problems. Under battlefield conditions, any torso wound from a Nagant would have taken an enemy soldier out of the fight, and ultimately proved fatal.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    A lot of people consider it to have "anemic" ballistics.

compared to a 32acp, it throws a bullet thats 25% heavier 100fps faster.
    compared to a 32naa, it is still slightly faster, and develops 20% more muzzle energy.

According to brass fetcher, either of those calibers will through-penetrate a 16" block of ballistic gelatin with non-expanding bullets. The Nagant bullets are of heavier construction than either, so I would expect them to penetrate a little farther still.

Put this in perspective of a military cartridge which came into service 30 years before the discovery of antibiotics. While the Nagant wont poke a huge hole, it will reach vitals without any problems. Under battlefield conditions, any torso wound from a Nagant would have taken an enemy soldier out of the fight, and ultimately proved fatal.

Thank you for the explanation. Awesome information!

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    The Nagant revolver was the gun with which "Russian Roulette" was invented. That, in itself, is enough reason to own one.

;)

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    Stopped by Gander Mt. today, they had one in their showcase! Overall I like the history and the looks of the firearm, however I really did not care for the $149+ price tag that Gander had listed. Plus, it wasn't one of the nicer ones I have seen!

I think I need to shop around, I know there are better deals out there!

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Stopped by Gander Mt. today, they had one in their showcase! Overall I like the history and the looks of the firearm, however I really did not care for the $149+ price tag that Gander had listed. Plus, it wasn't one of the nicer ones I have seen!

I think I need to shop around, I know there are better deals out there!

In Indianapolis, try FS&E Guns (Pendleton Pike a little bit west of Post Road). Last time I was there (it's been a while) they had several Nagant Revolvers at about $95 each. I could have found them online for less (and did, in fact) but once you add in transfer fees and shipping....

Top Bottom