• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    i had one. sold it 2 days later. they are really expensive to shoot and the trigger pull is god awful. they look cool and are cheap but thats it.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    I'd love to have one, and have mulled it over for years. Not so much to shoot, as much to play with while I'm watching The Mummy and The Mummy returns...

PMY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I had one. I paid about $100 for it. Put one box of ammo through it. I don't remember how much I paid for the ammo. (I have a policy where I don't buy ammo on the same day I shoot it, so I don't remember how much it cost.)

I then put it in the back of closet, where it sat until I sold it a couple of years later. For about $100. I sold it to a couple of Russian guys who were thrilled to see one.

Its an interesting revolver, but not very practical. But if you were into practicality you wouldn't be asking the question.

I say get one. Get a couple of boxes of ammo. You should be able to get about what you paid for it if you decide to sell it.

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I think they are cool for the fact they are one of the few revolvers that can successfully use a suppressor.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvF4yurWSc0]YouTube - Silenced 1895 Nagant revolver (NFA)[/ame]

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    They are nice to have in the collection, but I wouldn't make it your only pistol. Like others metioned, expensive ammo and a 30+lb trigger pull mean they aren't all that practical to shoot. But, they are nice to have as part of your wartime collection.

Oh, and if anyone asks you why they are 7 shot instead of 6 shot....the answer is the first 6 are for the bad guy, and if you haven't stopped him by then, the 7th is for you. I've heard various accounts of this both joking and semi serious in regards to the use of the 7th round in this revolver.

rjstamp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Never heard of a Nagant revolver...had a M44 in 7.62x54r and it looked real nice but was hard to keep a tight group. It would be fine for short range deer in the brush.

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Never heard of a Nagant revolver...had a M44 in 7.62x54r and it looked real nice but was hard to keep a tight group. It would be fine for short range deer in the brush.

You are talking of the Mosin Nagant M44. The 1895 Nagant is a revolver. Here is some information with pictures.

[URL]http://www.surplusrifle.com/pistolm1895/index.asp[/url]

I have one, but have only taken it to the range twice in the last 4 years. So, about 21 rouds through it.

Cheers

rjstamp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    How hard is it to find ammo for it...I haven't seen it around to often. I would think it would be quite expensive too.

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    I had one. They are good revolvers. Very accurate. DA trigger is a little heavy, so what!. Ammo is $21.95 for a box of 50 from Aim Surplus. Or you can buy a .32 cylinder for it. Good revolver for $100, plus it is historic.
    Always laugh at these guys who ***** about trigger pull. Must have girly hands.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    The double action is horrid, but the single action isn't terrible.

As for ammo: The romanian made HotShot brand stuff that was the actual Nagant ammo was $20 for 50. That being said: The gun can fire (though it splits the case, making it useless for handloading, but still relatively accurate and safe) .32 long, .32 short and .32 H&R Mag (though a bit raucus, not for constant diet supposedly). They do lose the gas seal effect though that the factory Nagant stuff gives.

The .32 ACP cylinder is okay, but usually has to be fitted (not a johnny shadetree special). But the cylinder offers some opportunity, such as getting it reamed for .32 H&R dimensions (as some have online). Gives better accuracy and keeps cases from splitting.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have one, but haven't taken it to the range yet. I got it to fit a hole in my collection and not as gun that I would consider carrying. Like the Mosins, it does have some interesting history behind it. And like the Mosin's it is a rugged weapon. A con, as other's have pointed out, is ammo availability.

For the price that they're selling at I think it would make a nice addition from a collector's standpoint and I honestly don't doubt that it would be a fun plinker.
    As usual, the Russians were split on their opinion of it...half liked the gun because it was reliable, and in their words, was the only handgun that could be fixed with a hammer. The other half considered it an eight use revolver...7 shots at the enemy and then throwing it them as a last resort since reloading it did take some time.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Bradis usually stocks ammo for it. I don't recall it being overly expensive either. The Nagant sure is interesting, but is fun to shoot single action. Not as much fun in double action but still interesting. I'd never consider one for carry, but they do make a nice addition to a collection.

Owning and shooting one does provide a perspective into an area of firearms evolution that's worth exploring. It kind of fits between the early revolvers and early semi-auto pistols in that it's kind of over engineered for a revolver. There is a lot of stuff going on for a revolver when you fire. That double action trigger pull is so heavy because it's moving the cylinder forward for a better gas seal. Interesting.

DoubleJJ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Floyds Knobs, IN
    For the cost of a tank of gas it's a good buy. I had one and found it fun to shoot and acurate enough for the 25y range.(SA) S.O.G. has ammo for it at about $22 they also have 32 cylinders. I ended up giving it to my brother to add to his Russian collection. He loves it.

Top Bottom