• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I got my press set up tonight and after about 8 rounds I broke the chain (of course, LOL)

I'm wondering if I didn't have the powder measure in the exact right spot because the chain was rubbing on the thumbscrew that holds the turret in place. Should it be canted a little to create more clearance?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    friend of mine had the same problem. If they arent JUST right, the chain can easily snap. I think he now buys them in multiples and when one breaks, he orders a new one so he always has a spare.

That has to be the weakest point in his entire setup.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I picked up some hobby chain at Lowes. It's a little bit heavier duty. That was the video I used to set the original one up but I think it was rubbing on the knob. Seems to be working now.

But of course I just blew up my primer assembly somehow. FML. :ugh:

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    So after doing a bit of reading and research online I think for rifle rounds at least, I will forgo the priming on the Lee. Is there a recommended single-stage for decapping and priming?

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    If you want to prime off of the progressive, I would recommend a hand primer. RCBS and Lee both make decent ones and it would be cheaper than buying a single stage for priming. I always hand prime even if using a progressive press... that way I can make sure the primer is seated correctly. It works especially well for rifle because you have to trim, chamfer, and debur anyways, so while you are prepping your brass, you can prime it and have it ready. Just my two cents..

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    If you want to prime off of the progressive, I would recommend a hand primer. RCBS and Lee both make decent ones and it would be cheaper than buying a single stage for priming. I always hand prime even if using a progressive press... that way I can make sure the primer is seated correctly. It works especially well for rifle because you have to trim, chamfer, and debur anyways, so while you are prepping your brass, you can prime it and have it ready. Just my two cents..

I think that's what I may do. I can remove the advancement arm and use the Loadmaster to deprime my brass before hand priming them, then switch back to progressive and leave stations 1 and 2 empty. Will probably be more efficient in the long run than stopping every 3-4 rounds because the primer feed messed up.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    For your problem with the loadmaster chain. I took a piece of 3/32 rod and made a hook in one end, put that thru the powder measurer and the put a spring and set screw for the return of the slide.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I also like to use a hand primer, went with the Lee and have no problems. To de-prime I got the cheapest Lee single stage and their cecapper die, works with anything I reload. The single stage is handy for other things also. Jim.

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    I do all of my rifle depriming/priming on the LM, but with a twist - I do it in two stages.

I have 2 different turrets with dies installed for a single rifle caliber. The first turret holds:
    Station 1: Universal decapping die (http://www.amazon.com/Lee-LP90292-Precision-Decapping-Die/dp/B002SF2ZXU/)
    Station 2: Resizing die with the decapping pin removed.
    Station 3-5: empty

This first turret is for depriming and priming only. The universal decapper does its obvious job at station 1, then at station 2 the case is resized and primed. This way I can lube the cases, perform the resizing step (and priming), then clean the cases off so the lube doesn't gunk up the charging/seating/crimping stations. The resizing die in station 2 holds the case very steady for priming, which really helps reduce the chance of problems. I do this same trick with stations 1 and 2 for all my pistol calibers as well (obviously they don't require case lube so the dies are all in one turret).

On the 2nd turrent I have:
    Station 1-2: empty
    Station 3: charging die
    Station 4: seating die
    Station 5: crimp die

It takes 2 passes through the press to complete the rifle rounds, but it does make everything work smoothly.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Another dumb question, what do I need to adjust for shell plate timing? When I bring the lever back up the plate is maybe half a tick from where it needs to be. I can't move the turret to the right place because of the positioning bits, so I'm guessing there's something that needs to be done below?

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    There's 2 things you can do. The plastic part that the lever hits to index the shell plate can be screwed in and out to adjust the timing. There is also a bolt on the bottom that can be unscrewed and you can adjust the whole carrier to advance or retard the timing of press.

Biscuit

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    La Porte
    As to the to the timing for the case feeder I find it feeds nice if you make smooth complete cycling of the lever. Only time I have problems is when I am not smooth. Or stop and start.

djsmith1000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2014
    United States
    I bought a loadmaster, loaded up a few hundred rounds on it, then sold it. Definitely do not prime on it. I had multiple primers explode. Very difficult to keep everything working smoothly. Never had chains break though.

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    Lee fixed the priming issue. Make sure the primer feeder had a grey color where it holds/grabs and pushes the primer into place above the ram. Check youtube there are a ton of videos on the priming system and most include the hint about the grey color of the new primer feeder. if your is not grey call LEE for a replacement.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    There's 2 things you can do. The plastic part that the lever hits to index the shell plate can be screwed in and out to adjust the timing. There is also a bolt on the bottom that can be unscrewed and you can adjust the whole carrier to advance or retard the timing of press.

All right, I got the indexing fixed. I rewatched the setup videos and I was putting the knob on the shell plate upside down, so apparently there was too much pressure on it. Once I did that adjusting the bolt on the bottom worked like a champ.

Additionally, I'm giving up on priming and just going with a hand primer. When I resize, though, the opening is too big on .223 . . . does that mean I have the die too far down? Trying to look for my videos with the adjustments now. My bullet seating die just doesn't seem like it's crimping, the bullet will fall down inside the shell. If I back off the bullet position knob it will go through without dropping but it's still loose.

I have been able to make a grand total of 14 rounds since I set my press up. Thankfully between the weather and being busy a lot of it is due to lack of time, because otherwise this would be really frustrating.

Last edited:

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    All right, I got the indexing fixed. I rewatched the setup videos and I was putting the knob on the shell plate upside down, so apparently there was too much pressure on it. Once I did that adjusting the bolt on the bottom worked like a champ.

Additionally, I'm giving up on priming and just going with a hand primer. When I resize, though, the opening is too big on .223 . . . does that mean I have the die too far down? Trying to look for my videos with the adjustments now. My bullet seating die just doesn't seem like it's crimping, the bullet will fall down inside the shell. If I back off the bullet position knob it will go through without dropping but it's still loose.

I have been able to make a grand total of 14 rounds since I set my press up. Thankfully between the weather and being busy a lot of it is due to lack of time, because otherwise this would be really frustrating.

What is the deal with priming? Are you neck sizing the brass or full length sizing? It sounds like your sisizing die is not adjusted correctly. When you seat the bullets there should be a some resistance, you can also use calipers to check the I.D. of the case neck. I'll check when I get home on the adjustments for the sizing die. Your problems seem exactly opposite of how mine went when I set it up. I had everything up and running in about an hour

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    What is the deal with priming? Are you neck sizing the brass or full length sizing? It sounds like your sisizing die is not adjusted correctly. When you seat the bullets there should be a some resistance, you can also use calipers to check the I.D. of the case neck. I'll check when I get home on the adjustments for the sizing die. Your problems seem exactly opposite of how mine went when I set it up. I had everything up and running in about an hour

I'm stumped, to be honest. I've watched all of the videos multiple times, I've even had my laptop out and watched the video while I did all the adjustments. The priming thing is just because I've heard the Loadmasters don't do so great priming rifle cases. I'm using an empty decapping die in station 2 to stabilize the case but if you look back a ways you can see that I also blew up my first primer feeder, LOL.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    It seems like your sizing die needs to go in about a 1/4 turn or so. I always ran a decapping die in station #1 and the caliber specific sizing die in #2 (you will have to move the decapping rod up to get it out of the way). Don't take this the wrong way, but it's probably something so obvious that you didn't even think about it. And if you can get another set of eyes on it to see if there is something else going on.

Edit: Also make sure you are running the press up to the full stroke. The loadmasters don't "cam-over" like some of the nicer presses

Top Bottom