• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Maybe Hendricks Co Deputies don't normally arrest more than those types. I've arrested murders, rapists, armed robbers. etc and sometimes it is hard to know if I run across them while I'm off. There are too many arrests for me to remember all their faces. I just watch my six ALL the time and look for anyone mean mugging me.
    :+1: There are nearly 60,000 arrests in Marion County alone annually. A large number of them take it personally and all have the potential of being violent. Combine that with the risk of running into one of them high or drunk...again.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    There are nearly 60,000 arrests in Marion County alone annually.

Are there really that many arrests per year? That is 164 people arrested every day of the year, on average. Or 6.8 people per hour. That seems a bit high. If we really are arresting that many people, that is really scary actually, though not all of them are arrests for new crimes..I imagine a good number are from re-arrest warrants.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Are there really that many arrests per year? That is 164 people arrested every day of the year, on average. Or 6.8 people per hour. That seems a bit high. If we really are arresting that many people, that is really scary actually, though not all of them are arrests for new crimes..I imagine a good number are from re-arrest warrants.
    Sounds about right. I'm sure a good chunk of them are warrant arrests. Ask our wagon driver on days east...many days we fill up his wagon as fast as he can drop them off at APC. I average 5-10 a week alone. One of our NRO guys on days has about 300-400 arrests so far this year...number one in the department.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Your reading too much into it...the problem with these types of communications IMO. I guess I could have found a better phrase. What I meant by saying that was that I was not in a minority of people that carry in Chicago but and EXTREME minority=exceedingly few. IF I had just said minority, that could mean anything up to 50%. I wanted to emphasize how small the group was, that's all.

See now that is funny!

The only minority you were in was the fact that you were legal to carry. In lovely schitcago there are a huge majority of ghetto minorities carrying illegally.

Not to mention all of the illegal carrying non ghettofied people that just feel safer breaking a pointless law in a shameless case of self preservation.

My question is this, as a LEO would you "out" or charge John Q family guy for illegaly carrying in Illinois or NYC if you had the authority to do so?:popcorn:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    My question is this, as a LEO would you "out" or charge John Q family guy for illegaly carrying in Illinois or NYC if you had the authority to do so?:popcorn:
    Hard to answer since I grew-up/work in Indy and it has been a non-issue. I do have friends (co-workers) that have found a person with a pistol in their vehicle (under a seat or in a console) without a permit. They did not have a criminal history and did not have any intent to break the law. They let them go on their way even though they broke the letter of the law without arrest. The did leave "smarter" with the pistol properly secured. Most people we run across w/o LTCH are dirtbags and deserve what they get. I cannot speculate what I would do if I worked in NYC or similar.

AF92venger

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    NE of Indy, but not too far!
    Thats just crazy!! I don't think I could do that! Theres a guy I know that is in Prison just because he had his fathers gun collection in his car with a whole bunch of luggage and everything from his fathers house that is fathers handed down to him. They pulled him over because of how much stuff he had in his car and found all those guns that he was just transporting home. He didnt know that you couldnt have any firearms in ChiTown. (Thats the story that I got from his father)

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Yeah...those numbers are pretty close. It used to average over 60K per year...but it's actually dropped a bit the last few years.

In the last week ending yesterday there were 950 people arrested in Marion County. 48% had an outright, 25% had a warrant, 14% had an outright and a warrant all of a misdemeanor or felony D variety...the remainder being a combination of high felony outrights and/or warrants and a couple of % that are out of county or out of state holds. Keep in mind that since cold weather is just beginning...the number of arrests are actually down. (compared to say the 1160 arrests during the 3rd week of June)

It takes criminals a while to get acclimated to the weather. Seriously...those numbers will rise when the criminal element gets used to the cold. Those numbers alone would put the arrest number right at 50K per year. Summer numbers are much higher making the total probably near 60K for the year. The year end number may be a record due to the bad economy.

Last time I heard Marion County had over 30K outstanding warrants. But that's been a few years since I heard a number. I know they purged a bunch of the civil warrants.

Any way you count it...that's a lot of people to have ticked off at you. And it doesn't even have to be the LEO that arrested any one individual. Say they just got out of jail. They see a LEO get out of his car and walk across the parking lot. You're still a target because they are ticked off because they got arrested last week. The LEO is just a symbol of why they got arrested...and now it's a chance to get even. Or say they see you pull into your driveway. Now the whole family is a potential target...they know where the LEO lives.

Hell...I can walk into the Kroger in Mars Hill and I've had a professional encounter with a very high percentage of the customers there. Do you think they don't know me? Most just nod their head and smile or say "hey". But several times it's evolved into a stare down or a few choice words. More than once I've had to warn them to keep moving or they would go back to jail. The last one was a drunk in Wal-Mart. It could have gotten ugly...he wanted to puff his little chest out because he remembered me...but his girlfriend was smart enough to drag him away. The last thing I want is a public encounter...all I wanted to do was get the camping stuff I was after and get on the road. But noooo...he wanted to "hey m-f'er" this and "hey, b**ch...remember me" that. I don't mind the name calling...as long as kids aren't with me. I hear better than that all the time. But now I can't turn my back on him because I don't know how far it will escalate...and I'm not about to get blindsided or shot in the back.

More than once I've been told, "I'll kill you when I get out". And one day they may decide to carry through with it. My name and salary are posted each year in the Star (this gives you the first name). Know my last name and first and you can find out where I live from property tax records...again...linked each year in the Star. Put the two together and I'm pretty easy to find.

Last edited:

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Luminatis Pizza........Mmmmmmmm. If you go up there again you should give it a try.
    I think you mean, "Lou Malnati's Pizza". No need to go up to Chicago... They ship pizzas worldwide.

Ikea rules!!:rockwoot: Where else can you have breakfast, go buy a room-full of furniture, then have lunch -- all in the same store? I HAVE to stop at the one in Bolingbrook everytime I'm up visiting the "P"s. I wish they'd put an Ikea here in Indy. The nearest one is in Cincinnati, IIRC. If you're a student or young couple that needs to furnish an apartment, it's the place to go.

Top Bottom