• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kiddchaos

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Personally I loved shooting the Kel-Tec SU2000. I'm not a big guy and this was a lightweight gun.
    I had no problems hitting targets at 100 yards. It folds up into a laptop bag. Plus if you're a glock fan, the mags are interchangeable.
    And if you have a 9mm pistol, then it's only one type of ammo to carry around.
    I would suggest a car alarm or cable lock if you don't already have one.

Some other guy on INGO has an AR in this lockable truck storage box, with bug out gear. That's another option.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    ACC,
    I like the idea of a rifle in every patriots car. The 9mm out of a rifle length barrel is a different animal and much more accurate out of a rifle all together. I like what you did there and I hope it suits your needs.

Personally, I've got an ar-15 broken down in two pieces in a little carry bag in my trunk. Its just one of those things that to each their own. You've got a rifle in your truck which is more than we can say for most people.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Great idea. I have been toying around with the idea of mounting a gun in my truck also. A rifle is much easier to shoot well than a handgun be it 9mm or 223. :yesway:

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Great idea. I have been toying around with the idea of mounting a gun in my truck also. A rifle is much easier to shoot well than a handgun be it 9mm or 223. :yesway:

True, but you can't slip a rifle into your pocket if you're pumping gas in a bad neighborhood. I think there's justification for a long gun and a handgun in a vehicle, since both would be needed at different times.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A pistol is for close people shootin...if I need to use my pistol to fight my way to my truck gun, I'd hope to find something more powerful behind my seat than a little 9mm when I make it there. When I think of a truck gun I think of something that will reach out and touch something, hard. Not a short range small pistol caliber. Mine's an '06 loaded with 180grain RN at 2800fps. Different strokes for different folks I guess. Nice mounting scheme.

Yeah. Your post is as far as I got.....:dunno:

If that is all you have then use it but a 9mm rifle would not be my personal choice. A 9mm anything would not be my choice so I am biased anyway.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    OP, how did you mount the Velcro straps? I like your idea, I've been toying with a long gun in my truck as well, that is out of sight, yet easy to access.

Last edited:

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I think it is a cool idea myself. Just a little susceptible to damn thieves is my only concern. I love my little folding Sub2k, it goes in a green tanker tool bag with some 30 round funsticks and my G17 when I take the family on a roadtrip. I usually carry a .357 SP101 and I wish there was an inexpensive .357 beater carbine (pump or lever) to be found as a truck gun, but there is no way I would toss my favorite shooting big loop carbine in the truck for some thief to take.

I always thought the perfect truck gun was a beater SKS, but the price on them is too high now. I wish there was a cheap but effective carbine like that again.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Dunno, it is a neat setup, but I personally don't feel I want or need a rifle in my vehicle for self defense. I think that if it were used, a prosecutor and /or Jury might consider it a "long range" weapon more than a self defense firearm. We as firearm owners may believe a 9mm rifle differently but the general public does have prejudiced views.

In my opinion if the BG is so far away that I can't hit him with my 45 ACP or another handgun, I would have a hard time convincing others it was a self defense shooting. If I were to carry other than a handgun in my vehicle, I think I would opt for a "Coach shotgun". Although fairly short range, they are a devastating self defense firearm, and with #4 buck cover a fair area.

If a SHTF scenario occurred, THEN I would toss some of my rifles (and probably a shotgun or two) in my vehicle without regard to concealment. I would probably carry my LR-308, AK and possibly Garand and M1 Carbine with me with plenty of ammo!

Not faulting you for your setup, just wouldn't do it myself for the above reasons! Everyone has their own desires and reasons.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I honestly like it. I am not a KelTec fan but pistol caliber carbines are nothing to thumb your nose at. 30 roundsof 9mm out of a 16" barrel makes for an effective 50 yard thumper.

OP I am curious about you carbine. The optic and stock take away the ability to fold the gun. That was one of the selling points of the sub2000. I never cared for the idea myself. Looks like you have a coupler that strengthens that pivot point? Stock sights lack, what kind of optic do you use.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I like the OP's setup. Everyone may have a different vision for a "truck gun," but I never see myself running back to my vehicle to retrieve a firearm to defend myself. If I make it to my vehicle, I'm getting out of the area. However, if a mob of several people attempt to thwart my attempt to leave, I would probably want more than 30 rounds in two magazines.

I like the idea of having a pistol-caliber carbine with 30-round magazines for several reasons. First, there is the larger capacity, avoiding the necessity to change magazines, if needed. Second, it's short and easy to maneuver in the vehicle. Third, I would feel a lot more comfortable (sitting behind my computer right now), with the thought of using a less powerful round for close range use.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I used to keep an old Mossberg with the barrel chopped to 19" in my truck. Stupid thing kept rusting. That and the theft issue keep me away from dedicated truck guns. I have kept a pistol in a safe in the vehicle before. Best one was a duracoted model 10 revolver. I might again after July 1st. Probably be a Glock 23

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I used to keep an old Mossberg with the barrel chopped to 19" in my truck. Stupid thing kept rusting. That and the theft issue keep me away from dedicated truck guns. I have kept a pistol in a safe in the vehicle before. Best one was a duracoted model 10 revolver. I might again after July 1st. Probably be a Glock 23

Why July 1st.? What happens then?

Top Bottom