• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    +1 on the Ruger MK (pick a version), Browning Buckmark, or S&W.

Pick one of those and you'll be good to go.

The S&W 22A is probably the best bang for the cost.

Last edited:

jaramia20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Michigan City
    Take a look at the Walther P22 . You can pick them up for around $300 and they have all the controles of the full size . Safty , de-cock , slide lock , mag release. You can also get them with difrent barrel sizes . They make a great little plinker with cheap ammo , teach good gun handling , and make a good close in squirrel gun .

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    That's not a bad idea, I hadn't considered that! Thank you.

Around $500 is a good price range. I don't mind spending $ for good quality but unless he starts showing an interest in competition I don't want to spend much more.

That seems like a good option also. How hard are they to field strip & clean?

I just took a peek at the Ruger site. I think my son might like the 22/45 -- he loves my Kimber 1911, so something that looks kind of like it and has a similar grip might be a good thing. From the description I assume it has the same action as a Mark III.

Definitely looks like the same sort of thing, and the MSRP is similar. I wonder how they compare?

Thanks for your replies, folks. I have some time since his birthday isn't till fall but that means I have an excuse to shop at gunstores. :D
    I think you're on the right track with the 22/45. I went that route when my oldest girl turned 12. I wanted a .22 cal pistol for her to learn with and my Mod 41 S&W was too heavy for her to hold steady. The Ruger is much lighter with the polymer frame and everybody on the planet makes parts or accessories for them if you want to upgrade later on. The only downside is that some find them to be a rectal discomfort to reassemble the first time.

theturtle06

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO
    CZ's unless bought used are not inexpensive. I would look at a Buckmark. You can go anywhere from a 4" to a 7.5" barrel. Mine will fire any brand of ammo I feed it. Honestly I would steer away from the P22, or Mosquito. They are both temperamental, and some with unresolved issues. My :twocents:

I suppose our definitions of inexpensive vary - you can find used CZs for around $450 or even cheaper. Seen them new for well under $600. I was just putting this conversion idea out there to offer some growing room for the OP.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    If he likes you .45....take a look at the Chiappa firearms 1911-22 it got good reviews so I bought one, I haven't shot it yet.

umbrellablue

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    I have a Ruger Mk. III and I love it. You can drive nails with it and it is built like a tank. The only downfall to the pistol that I would assert is that it can be difficult to clean compared to some other, more modern designs such as the walther 22

mx_chick_42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    i would def say the wathers p22. great gun! my b/f has one he carries on his ankle and everyone that shoots it loves it. and as for a rifle for smaller ones the ruger 10/22 is a great one. my 4 yr old niece needs a lil help with it cause her arms are not long enough yet but she loves to shoot it. thats us in my avatar shooting it

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Sorry for the long delay in responding, everyone. It's been a long week.

I really appreciate all of the advice -- y'all have given me a lot to think about. I was a little concerned that my son would not want a pistol -- he's been very jealous of his older brother's Henry. I asked what he thought about possibly getting a pistol instead of a rifle for his birthday and he has been babbling ever since about it. I think I made a mistake since his birthday isn't until fall! He even tried to talk me into getting a pistol as an Easter present.

For the moment I'm leaning more towards a dedicated .22 instead of a conversion. Every combination of standard pistol and conversion I've looked at seems to add about $200 to the price. You do get the ability to use different calibers and grow with the weapon that way, but I just don't feel that comfortable with the idea of a conversion.

I think the next step is to get to some gun shops and get a first hand look at some of the choices you folks have brought up. I was in Bradis the other day and noticed they have a number of the models that have been discussed so (darn it) I'll just have to go shopping.

I did have a question about the Walther P22. I know that some Walthers have a reputation for biting your hand if you're not careful - has anyone had that problem with the P22?

Thanks again everyone.

Dough Boy 1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Hammond, IN
    I did have a question about the Walther P22. I know that some Walthers have a reputation for biting your hand if you're not careful - has anyone had that problem with the P22?

Thanks again everyone.
    I had one some years ago and didn't have a problem with it. It was a fun gun to shoot... Wish I still had it with the current price of ammo!

Top Bottom