• ...and so much more!
  • XDinmyXJ

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    Indygunworks, once again, you are WRONG , the man was concentrating on his shooting, not his brass, it is his until he says it is not. It is the same if he comes into your shop and takes your tools just because you are not using them.

OVERTHEHILLGUY

p.s. I will never forget you calling me a TROLL when I first started posting on this forum!!

You want a cookie or something? :dunno:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Indygunworks, once again, you are WRONG , the man was concentrating on his shooting, not his brass, it is his until he says it is not. It is the same if he comes into your shop and takes your tools just because you are not using them.

OVERTHEHILLGUY

p.s. I will never forget you calling me a TROLL when I first started posting on this forum!!

Um. Wow :dunno:

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    The range I go to has concrete floor, and when the chance comes to police the area, I clean my station of whatever is there, and throw it in the buckets there for that purpose. There is always brass from shooting stations 1,2,or 3 lanes left. I don't like standing on all that brass, so unless someone gets on the ball, grabbing brass when there's an opportunity, or announces his intentions to me, it's going into the can.I like to leave the station I've been on as clean as, or cleaner than when I arrived.If nobody is shooting to my right I clean that station too. I don't reload, and anybody that wants what comes from my guns just has to clean it up...it'll be a lane or two to my right, thank you.

glockman23

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indy

OVERTHEHILLGUY

:popcorn:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I used to give brass to a buddy of mine to reload for himself and he would sell reloads to me on the cheap since I keep him supplied with brass. One day I was at a range that I had not been to before with a buddy and had a guy that was almost trying to catch my brass as I was shooting.

I stopped midway through the second mag and looked right at him and told him that every empty brass he kept of mine I expected 2 live rounds of his.

I got a WTF :n00b: look, and before he had a chance to say anything I said cough it up, either 50 live ones or 25 spents, I bought them their mine till I die.

He gave me my brass back, packed up and left. My buddy was looking at him giving him the stink eye as he was walking away and he muttered da** idiot costing me money.

As we was leaving later, the RO told us that he shows up three a maybe four times a week shoots maybe 50 rounds over a hour and walks out with over 500+ every time.

Then it hit me, he was collecting brass to resell it for his own profit.

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    OK....I thought TROLLS had short memory's..NO?...OH Short Legs.

Before you shoot mark your ammo with a green or black perm marker, either on the case or bottom. Then politely announce your are a field tester for the goverment and all brass is radio-active to different degrees.
    HELL you will have the range all to yourself, not to mention leftover brass.
    You always gotta be think'in.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    OK....I thought TROLLS had short memory's..NO?...OH Short Legs.

Before you shoot mark your ammo with a green or black perm marker, either on the case or bottom. Then politely announce your are a field tester for the goverment and all brass is radio-active to different degrees.
    HELL you will have the range all to yourself, not to mention leftover brass.
    You always gotta be think'in.

+1 That is Awesome!! I'd LOVE to see someone actually do it....any certain type of marker work better?? Come on, dying to know here....

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    While I agree with marking your brass to save confusion when other shooters are around, what ever happened to common courtesy. It is sad that you would have to go to that much trouble just to keep someone from stealing your property. If it isn't yours you don't take it. At the very least you can ask if the person wants his brass if you are interested. Besides do you know how long it would take me to mark up a couple thousand rounds. I was at Roush Lake last weekend and had shooters on both sides of me. We did our best to make sure the brass got to the person it belonged too. I'm sure some did not but everyone did there best. I was packing up to leave when I saw this guy wandering down the firing line with a bucket picking up brass while people were shooting. He wasn't shooting anywhere near there. I had all mine and was leaving at the time or I would have asked him for my brass that he was collecting for me. Brass isn't cheap especially if you have to buy it 2 or 3 times over.:xmad:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    This is one of the reasons I liked shooting Sellier & Bellot. That red primer! Very distinctive.

45Ammo004.jpg

Wish there was a way to order custom colored primers because putting something on it yourself would likely muck up your firing pin, ...no?

Anyhoo...it would be a good way to pick out your own stuff on the ground!

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    An armed thief is stealing your property and you had a gun and didn't take out the perp, man what are you waiting for, shoot him next time.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    +1 That is Awesome!! I'd LOVE to see someone actually do it....any certain type of marker work better?? Come on, dying to know here....
    I use a black, or red marker, on the head of the case, to mark my .38 spl cases, because I load a light and a heavy, load, no mark, is good for .38 handgun, red, or black, .357 only...

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I use a black, or red marker, on the head of the case, to mark my .38 spl cases, because I load a light and a heavy, load, no mark, is good for .38 handgun, red, or black, .357 only...

I do the same and never have had any issues. But I have always wondered if it can do anything to deteriate the primer if done in excess and stored long term.. I wonder because I do know that a sharpie does have something in it that will destroy the cobalt binders in the first few thousandths on the surface of tungsten carbide. I am a tool maker and we are constantly reminded by all our vendors to not use theses on carbide.

We buy our best grade tungsten carbide from Europe. ( Austria to be specific ) And yes, we buy from there because this is one product Americans don't make the best ! There, they call sharpies " Devil sticks " because of their destructive nature on some things.

As for the brass collectors... What I find works well, is when I go to a public range, I try out my "new and unproven" loads first. I like to fire 2 or 3 at a time then collect the brass and inspect it, making any notes if necessary. This sets the tone letting them know I want my brass for when I start shooting my proven loads in quanity.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    When I'm at the range, I make it a point to ask those on either side if they are collecting brass and let them know that I am. It's resulted in a couple of good conversations about what we are shooting and what loads are working for us.

I've not had too many problems in the past with guys poaching brass, but I have had issues with people that don't reload, assuming that everyone is like them. They sweep up while you are focused on shooting and next thing you know, they are dumping some of your brass into the scrap buckets along with theirs.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    next time, just pick up the casings everytime you fire a round. Not only will it save money on reloading your brass, but you'll have less time to send rounds down range.....big time money savings there.

......or how about scribing your initials on every piece, that way when you file the police report, they'll know what to look for:laugh:

all kidding aside, you should have asked him for your brass back, plain and simple. :twocents:

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven

I have used sharpies and marked my shells over the years. Never noticed any problems.

Top Bottom