My range day today - The good, the bad, and the ugly. (Lots of pics)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I didn't get much time to shoot today, but I took the whole day to play with guns and gun accessories.

Woke up about 9:30, and started out to the hardware store to get some e-clips to fix my TacSol 22 upper bolt. One the way up the street, I passed the mailman who I knew was bringing me my lower parts kits, so I hit him up for my packages, backed up and went back home to build my first lower.

I bought two Delaware Machinery lowers last week for $150 total, and ordered the parts kits from a chap in Texas. They got here in two days time, for $100.
    One of the DM lowers is staying sealed in it's nice little black box for now, but the other one I put together for my TacSol 22 upper.

Here it is after I completed it.

01-1.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

So, after I got it all put together, I was anxious to go and try it out. I also got a case of Silver Bear .223 this week and I wanted to to sling some of it downrange as well. Problem is, I destroyed my target stand last week, as some of you saw in my previous post about that. So I moseyed on to Lowes and picked up some parts and pieces, and about five 8' treated 2x4s, totaling about $20 and I built these in about 30 minutes time...I just cut the 2x4's in half.

12.jpg

It was getting to be about 4 pm, so I loaded up and headed on out to my shooting area. Here is a wide angle shot of it...

19.jpg

As you can see, I have lots of room to shoot, but this is usually where I do most of my dirty work...

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

20.jpg

Now for the bad...

The Silver Bear wouldn't cycle. For some strange reason, my semi-auto became a bolt action. I had to recharge after each shot, and many of them would become jammed and not eject. If I only put 5 rds in a magazine, I might get lucky and not get a jam, but still had to recharge each round.

Threw in a mag of PMC and had no problems. So I blamed the ammo.

So I decided to switch to my .22 I just assembled.

Same effing problem. I was using Federal Bulk Pack which I have NEVER had a problem with, and I was getting jams, and it would NOT cycle the next round for nothing. I had to drop the mag, clear the chamber, reinsert the ma, and recharge each round. It's safe to say by now, I am PISSED off.

Then something happened. I started getting double feeds and 2 shot bursts. This happened a couple of times, then I had a loud(er) bang than I should have with .22 and smoke was rolling out of the dust cover. It also deafened me in my right ear, and startled me to the point that I threw the rifle down out of reflex. After one of the 2 shot bursts, this happened...

26.jpg

It blew the entire cap off the end of the casing.

After examining the rifle, I found nothing out of the ordinary, and blamed it on a bad .22 round. I commenced to effing around with it some more trying to figure out why I couldnt shoot it more than one round at a time, and about 10 minutes later, the same damn thing happened again. Now I have this...and a ringing in my right ear. (don't wear my ears with the .22)

27.jpg

This is pretty much what started happening after my two blowouts. I would get these over and over again to then point where I could only shoot one round at time.

25.jpg

24.jpg

23.jpg

Look at this one!

29.jpg

If you look closely, you will see the barrel has become burred

30.jpg

I think this could have something to do with my problem?

So after about an hour and a half of this crap, I decided to throw in the towel.

I went downrange (about 60-65 yds) to the target stand to see what damage I did to it after about 150 .223 rounds, and maybe 150 PAINFUL .22 rounds.

I also shot at it with 100 rds of .40 from my M&P, even at 60 yds, I hit it about 75% of my shots.

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

40.jpg

My AR500 steel plate is showing pock marks after two trips to the range

41.jpg

42.jpg

This one looks like the surface of the moon

43.jpg

nicks...

44.jpg

45.jpg

But my target stands held up fairly well. Better than the PVC stand I made the weekend before.

Easy to travel with too.

46.jpg

So, as you can see, a enjoyed building my first lower, and constructing my target stands, but my day of shooting totally sucked.

I gotta figure out why that TacSol 22 is giving me such fits.

And I have about 900 rds of Silver Bear that is going to take awhile to shoot up in single shot mode.

I stopped by Wally World later this evening and they had six 100 rd .40 WWBs, so I bought them all. :rockwoot:

Last edited:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    +1 on the report AND the target stands. I think I need to run to Home Depot in the morning to make one like that!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Seriously, those metal things are like $8 a pair. The treated 2x4's were $2.50 each, and a box of deck screws cost me $5.00. I bought treated lumber because it is wet, and figured it wouldn't splinter as bad. I was right.

I failed to mention that putting one of those lowers together is a bit tricky the first time. It took me about 45 minutes to figure it all out.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Has anyone else ever used Silver Bear .223 in their AR and had luck with it? I'm not real sure why it wont cycle.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    Just guessing, but it looks as though the rifle fired out of battery. I can't imagine the fired cases looking like that if they were fully chambered.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I had to pry both of those casings out of the chamber. They almost appeared fused to it, as it took some effort to get them out.

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    That pic of the barrel would have me digging out my dremel for sure!

Those stands are a great idea, I can't believe the damage from one trip!:ar15:

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    The .22 build looks really good. What twist is the .22 upper? Is that a Buashnell Trophy MP optic? I've got a CMMG .22 kit for my AR and it was giving me some fits too. I had empties getting stuck in the top of the upper infront of the bolt with Federal bulk .22s also. I'm going to try some CCI MiniMags and some Stingers. I've got some Augila super high velocity stuff to try in it too. I think mine just needs to wear in.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    360 I think I asked this before....

Are you running a notched hammer?? If you are take it out and find a smooth hammer..

For some reason the notched hammers do NOT run worth a damn with the 22lr uppers. (Ask me how I know).

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    The .22 build looks really good. What twist is the .22 upper? Is that a Buashnell Trophy MP optic? I've got a CMMG .22 kit for my AR and it was giving me some fits too. I had empties getting stuck in the top of the upper infront of the bolt with Federal bulk .22s also. I'm going to try some CCI MiniMags and some Stingers. I've got some Augila super high velocity stuff to try in it too. I think mine just needs to wear in.
    The barrel is 1/16 twist.

I have a Ceiner kit and never had ANY trouble with it with the Fed Bulk.
    Yes is a Bushnell and it is awesome. Dead on right out of the box. The T lines up with my front sightpost for a dead accurate placement.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    360 I think I asked this before....

Are you running a notched hammer?? If you are take it out and find a smooth hammer..

For some reason the notched hammers do NOT run worth a damn with the 22lr uppers. (Ask me how I know).

Yes it is notched. I'm gonna order a round one tonight and see if it helps.

superstorm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 19, 2009
    SW Fort Wayne
    I had the same thing happen to me last week but I was shooting a T/C R55 sporter in the 17HM2 it trashed both clips I sent it back to T/C for them to figure it out. Will let you know what they figure out.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Yes it is notched. I'm gonna order a round one tonight and see if it helps.

There is your problem!!!!

I have a Spike's upper the first time I took it out I had thrown it on my S&W lower and it ran super with Fed Bulk Pack, CCI, even some Winchester.

I got my Spike's lower and put it together, took it out and had nothing but trouble it was pinching empty cases in the bolt jamming them in the top of the upper, I was getting 2 and 3 round burst fire. I tried everything took it completely apart cleaned and lubed everything still had problems. Put it back on my S&W lower and no problems. I figured I put the lower together wrong so I stripped the lower checked every spring, the trigger, disconnecter, I went through it with a fine tooth comb. Come to realize it was the notched hammer causing all my trouble.

Switched out to a smooth hammer and it runs perfect!!!

Top Bottom