My range day today - The good, the bad, and the ugly. (Lots of pics)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I have shoot thousands of rounds of Silver Bear with no issues. It is dirty, but that is about all. I have had the same issue with my S&W 15-22. The cases looked the same. I will have to check the hammer.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I'm not real sure why it wouldn't cycle in my Bushy. It's gonna take a long time to expend 1000 rounds at one round a pop.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    You were shooting at 60yds? If so, that's likely the problem behing the pitting of the AR500. I don't believe you're supposed to shoot closer than 100yds.

Even so, mine has help up well even with pitting. I shot it a bunch this weekend.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I'm not real sure why it wouldn't cycle in my Bushy. It's gonna take a long time to expend 1000 rounds at one round a pop.
    Me and my buddy put 333 rounds through his Bushy Patrolman carbine without any issues at all. Not sure what the problem is. If its short cycling and not loading a new round it might be dirty or gas rings could be lined up. Make sure the bolt moves freely in the carrier. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    the deal with the 22lr might, i say again, might, be improper headspace. if swapping out hammers doesn't fix it, you might contact the manufacturer of the upper to find out what the proper headspace is and who they might authorize to check it. if there is too much headspace, the base of the round (nearest the rim) would be likely to blow out, much as it appears yours did. this is (generally) due to the round not being entirely seated in the thick walled steel chamber. the brass is much weaker, by design, and will rupture if the powder ignites without the support of the chamber/bolt face container. i do not know what type or amount of lubricant you used, but perhaps a more generous application might allow the buffer spring to throw the bolt it wasn't designed for all the way home, seating the round properly. I Am Not A Gunsmith. IANAG. i made a new one. YAY!

EDIT: sorry, it's past this kid's bedtime. missed the part about the 2 round bursts. perhaps a slight mistake/misalignment in the lower? i'd say if the hammer doesn't fix it, have someone with lots of experience building/smithing check your lower. if that doesn't fix it, maybe try my suggestions.

Last edited:

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I ordered a new hammer yesterday, along with some Magpul goodies for it. Hopefully it all gets here by Thursday, and it doesn't rain on Friday. I will go back and give em another whirl.

jimbojr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    SE MI
    I'm guessing that the burr is stopping the round from chambering all the way but the firing pin still is released and the round being discharged without support is causing your blowout?

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    If its short cycling and not loading a new round it might be dirty or gas rings could be lined up.

Gas rings being lined up and causing failures is a myth.Personally, the Silver Bear is usually hotter than Wolf (and I've shot over 10k of Wolf through my AR's) so it should give fewer problems. I haven't had any with the rather limited experience I've had with Silver Bear. Is your gun short stroking, or acting like it's not getting any gas at all?

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I'll tell you what...2 weeks after posting this review, and I am still waiting on parts to try to correct the problem. TacSol has been good with communication, but I give them an F on actually DOING anything to help out. I finally canceled my order from them and ordered from Midway instead. It should be here by Wednesday, and hopefully I will get an opportunity to try it out again on Friday. Plus I ordered another Bushnell ACOG clone for my .22

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I hope the rounded hammer fixes the problem. I was looking into buying one of these uppers but now I'm waiting to see what happens with yours.

TacSol seems to think it will solve my problem. My parts will be here today and I will try to get a re-review up as soon as I can get back out to sling some lead, hopefully by Friday.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Has anyone else ever used Silver Bear .223 in their AR and had luck with it? I'm not real sure why it wont cycle.

Cases and cases and cases in .223, .308, and 7.62x54R.

No problems ever. Still cheap enough and not as dirty as Wolf.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    The rain has let up for a bit, so I am going to make a break for it and try this again.

I'll post a report when I get back.

Top Bottom