• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    I have a 10/22 rifle and a 20 gauge shotgun but I have the itch for another rifle. I was looking 22mag bolt and lever action rifles since the ammo is relatively inexpensive. I am also fond of the Marlin 1894C in .357/38. Any suggestions on the pros and cons of my potential purchase?

Thanks.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    You can't go wrong with the Marlin.

I prefer the Winchester 1892 design for pistol length cartridges. The 1892 is just soooo smooth.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I just bought the Marlin 1894 this week...I went with the 44mag because I intend to hunt with it and everything I read said the 357 mag was O K but the 44 was better and could be used on heavier game IE bear....I got mine at Dicks for $469....:twocents:

I have an older Winchester that is fun but the Marlin feels a lot tighter and more solid

Man I gotta get to the Range...:cheers:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Yes I have a Marlin in .44 Mag. it is GREAT... The 38/357 is a good choice, the ammo is a little cheaper, I reload, so that doesn't matter much to me. Happy Hunting...

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I say go for the marlin i would prefer 44 mag over the 357 but that wouldnt be a horrible choice either . I am personally not a fan of the 22 mag i dont believe you gain enough performance over the 22 long rifle to justify the increased ammo cost . CCI mini mags in the 10/22 you already have would be my choice before buying a 22mag , that being said a larger bore rifle I believe would be a good choice

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I agree with kycrawler that you wouldn't see enough difference from the 10/22 to a .22 mag rifle to justify the cost. I think the .357 rifle is a great idea. I never wanted to have a wall full of similar guns like some folks do. I like many different calibers and types of action.
    That being said, I wouldn't pass on a screaming deal on a .22 mag bolt action just because I already have a 10/22.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I agree with kycrawler that you wouldn't see enough difference from the 10/22 to a .22 mag rifle to justify the cost. I think the .357 rifle is a great idea. I never wanted to have a wall full of similar guns like some folks do. I like many different calibers and types of action.
    That being said, I wouldn't pass on a screaming deal on a .22 mag bolt action just because I already have a 10/22.
    Having many different calibers was ok years ago...when ammo was plentiful and relatively cheap. In todays market with ammo prices what they are, and the difficulty of getting different calibers and trying to have enough ammo on hand to be able to go to the range and shoot whatever you want and still have access to more if the need be, seems to be a thing of the past. It seems to be a trade-off, do you want to spend your money on a couple more guns for your collection? or spend it trying to stock 20 different calibers of ammo. Some of the guns I sold on INGO was just to consolidate calibers.
    Been There!:dunno:

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    I also consolidated calibers . I dont see having a wider range of calibers as a bad thing in times of ammo shortage you have more possibility of finding ammo for a weapon you do have . I keep lots of .22 .223 .308 .30/06 and .45 but i also have a few other calibers i keep a couple hundred rounds of each around for. Nothing wrong with a little variety

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I had a .17hmr that I enjoyed but never really had a reason to shoot it. I use a .22lr for squirrel and plinking. so I sold it to a fellow INGO member who was going to use it for groundhogs.

I took th proceeds and bought a marlin 1894 .44 mag at Dicks for 469.00 as well. I mainly will use it for deer but it is fun to shoot. Low recoil and more accurate than i expected.

I am very please with my 1894.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Marlin .44mag....Great deer rifle and you got a good price. A local gun shop around here wants $529.00 for one. I had one that I seldom used and traded it to another INGO member...he got 3 deer with it, just this season.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i would probably pass on the 22 mag idea since you already have a 22lr. i might suggest a centerfire like the 223. they are fairly cheep to shoot and it extends your max range a good bit.

if you decide to go the 22 mag route. i really like the marlin 22 mag rifles. some come with really nice wood like this.

22mag001.jpg

22mag002.jpg

22mag005.jpg

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    Thanks for all the input. I was looking at ammo today and 22mag is more expensive than I thought. Considering I could run .38 specials through the Marlin 1894C that is the direction I am leaning towards. Does anyone have the stainless model? Is it worth the extra $150 or so verse the blued model?

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Having many different calibers was ok years ago...when ammo was plentiful and relatively cheap. In todays market with ammo prices what they are, and the difficulty of getting different calibers and trying to have enough ammo on hand to be able to go to the range and shoot whatever you want and still have access to more if the need be, seems to be a thing of the past. It seems to be a trade-off, do you want to spend your money on a couple more guns for your collection? or spend it trying to stock 20 different calibers of ammo. Some of the guns I sold on INGO was just to consolidate calibers.
    Been There!:dunno:
    Your argument seems to be more of an argument for diversification, rather than against it. What happens if the caliber you choose is the one that is most in demand and shortest in supply? then once you use it up, you'll be without ammo for a long time, or paying exorbitant prices for that caliber. Doesn't make sense to me. I have 2 shotgun gauges, 3 rifle calibers, and 5 handgun calibers, I think. Maybe more. I'd certainly like to have more than that. If .357 and 9mm become scarce, I can always buy and shoot .40 S&W. If .223 becomes scarce, I can shoot 7.62x39.

As to buying a couple more guns for my collection or buying more ammo, I don't see the reason for making such a choice. Each gun I buy, I buy adequate ammo for it, whether it's a caliber I already have or not. I don't have just one box of ammo for each gun. Each caliber has a purpose to which it is better suited than the others. 357 doesn't conceal as well as a handgun in .32 acp. I wouldn't hunt with a 9mm or .40s&w. .22 is better for high volume practice. It is the same with rifles.

If you want to limit yourself to 11 different 9mm pistols and 3 different 9mm carbines, fine, but I don't see the point.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a 10/22 rifle and a 20 gauge shotgun but I have the itch for another rifle. I was looking 22mag bolt and lever action rifles since the ammo is relatively inexpensive. I am also fond of the Marlin 1894C in .357/38. Any suggestions on the pros and cons of my potential purchase?

Thanks.

About everywhere I go .22MWR runs around $10-$15 a box of 50. Depending on the type of ammo, and brand. The last time my Dad bought 357 magnum, it was $18 a box of 50. Really it all depends on what you plan on using it for. For up close say distances shorter 40 yards, in my opinion the lever action would be a nice choice in either caliber. For any distance up to 100 yards, I would go with the bolt action .22MWR. That's just my personal opinion.

Top Bottom