Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-formulaire/pdfs/5589-eng.pdf

Firearm Definitions

A non-restricted firearm is:

An ordinary rifle, shotgun or combination gun that is not described below as being restricted or prohibited.

A restricted firearm is:

A handgun that is not a prohibited firearm.
    A semi-automatic, centre-fire rifle or shotgun with a barrel length less than 470 mm (18.5 inches) that is not prohibited.
    A rifle or shotgun that can fire when its overall length is reduced by folding, telescoping or some other means to less than 660 mm (26 inches).

Any firearm prescribed as restricted (including some long guns).

A prohibited firearm is:
    A handgun with a barrel length of 105 mm (4.1 inches) or less.
    A handgun designed or adapted to discharge 25 or 32 calibre ammunition.
    A rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make it less than 660 mm (26 inches) in overall length.
    A rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make the barrel length less than 457 mm (18 inches) where the overall firearm length is 660 mm (26 inches) or more.
    An automatic firearm and a converted automatic firearm.
    Any firearm prescribed as prohibited.

I am not aware of issues from customers that purchased 18" bolt rifle barrels with the intention of hunting in Canada, including several with "unreal" 458 chambers.

Might be worth a call. Canadian Firearms Program at 1 800 731-4000 in Canada and the USA, (506) 624-5380 outside Canada and the USA.

I will definately call on Monday. I found this same list on line. This is what caused my concern. Under "prohibited" from your list, Where it says "A rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make the barrel length less than 457 mm (18 inches) where the overall firearm length is 660 mm (26 inches) or more." I found an identical list that said 470 mm. Of course I can't find it now. This looks like good news. I'll provide an update once I hear from the Authorities up north.

Last edited:

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    My Remington 700 action arrived at my local gun shop about 2 hours after I left town last Wednesday. Finally, I was able to go and pick it up today. Everything looks good. I threaded the action on the barrel, and used a fired case from my AR in .458 Socom to estimate the headspace. This allowed me to measure to get a recoil lug that is just slightly thicker than needed. I placed the order for the recoil lug tonight. I should get it on Friday. I will post pictures once I get the barrel and action attached with the recoil lug.

Does anyone actually have .458 Socom go/no go gauges that I could borrow. I will pick them up or pay shipping both ways.

One last note, I am in conversation via email with the authorities in Canada to determine if this gun will be legal to take into Canada for the bear hunt. I'll keep you posted.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    It's really cool reading you explaining how you're building your own custom rifle.
    I sure hope that Canada will find your barrel length legal.
    Please, if it's not too much trouble, some photos showing some of the stages of your build would be interesting.
    Hopefully, you'll find someone willing to lone one to you, but Pacific Tool has go/no-go gauges for this caliber listed at $47.
    It sure would be a drag to have to buy something that you'll use only once, though; although it's possible that you could find a gunsmith somewhere willing to buy it to recoup some of your investment.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    .458 bolt guns are the bees knees.:yesway:

From the moment I saw these, I knew I needed one...

Controlled-Fracturing-458-570gr-Subsonic-Bullet-Rev-0.jpg

Mine will probably have to wait until my two pesky kids get outta college though.:(

Mama can let a couple store bought guns slide, but I don't think I could sneak a custom build under the radar.:shady:

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature

Mine will probably have to wait until my two pesky kids get outta college though.:(

Mama can let a couple store bought guns slide, but I don't think I could sneak a custom build under the radar.:shady:

what bullets are those?!?

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    So, here are a couple pictures of where things are right now.

IMG_1010.jpg
    I used a fire formed case from my AR to get an estimate of the head spacing. When it was where it needed to be, the gap where the recoil lug would fit measured .1855. Using this number, I ordered a recoil lug that comes with a thickness of .200. I will have to remove a little metal for perfect fit, but I will wait until I get go/nogo gauges to do this.

IMG_1011 r1.jpg
    Here it is, just put together temporarily. This gives an idea of what a Remington 700 without a stock looks like. So, now I wait for the recoil buffer and gauges.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    So, here are a couple pictures of where things are right now.

View attachment 36899
    I used a fire formed case from my AR to get an estimate of the head spacing. When it was where it needed to be, the gap where the recoil lug would fit measured .1855. Using this number, I ordered a recoil lug that comes with a thickness of .200. I will have to remove a little metal for perfect fit, but I will wait until I get go/nogo gauges to do this.

View attachment 36900
    Here it is, just put together temporarily. This gives an idea of what a Remington 700 without a stock looks like. So, now I wait for the recoil buffer and gauges.

Awesome, keep us posted

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I wish I had the tools and skills to do something this cool.
    This should be about as good a .458 Socom as it's possible to get.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon

I always wanted to play with these in my 458 AR but never did get around to it before selling it. 97 Gr 458 bullets that can be pushed over 3000 fps

Lehigh bullets

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I always wanted to play with these in my 458 AR but never did get around to it before selling it. 97 Gr 458 bullets that can be pushed over 3000 fps

Lehigh bullets

And if the bullet misses it's target, the flamethrower will get it.:laugh:

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    Have you ever surface ground .013" or more off a part?

Order a .187-.189 if you are confident of your measurements.

Truthfully, I am not 100% confident. The way I measured, it is possible that the action turned a tiny bit. Also, I was using a fire formed shell from another gun, so I really want to get the go/nogo gauges in and set it off of those just to be sure. I know it may be tough to take off .013", or whatever the final measurement is, but I figured it was better to start a little too big, than a little too small. If I take a tiny bit too much off, then oops!. That would be $26 wasted and by that time, I would know the exact measurement so I can get another one.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    I took AllenM's advice and rented the go/no go gauges from 4D Reamer. They just arrived. I got my recoil lug also. I am hoping to have time to work on it this weekend. I will keep you posted. Oh yeah, my spot is confirmed for the bear hunting trip this September, and the authorities in Canada responded to my email and told me this rifle would be legal to bring across the border! :rockwoot:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yay!
    I love reading good news all around.
    You'll have a real conversation starter with you in hunting camp.
    How cool is it to have a rifle that you built yourself, and not an AR at that, but a proper rifle?

Top Bottom