• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    So I've been thinking about loading my own subsonic .223. I can't afford a can or a tax stamp right now, so this seems to be the next best option. Anyone got any experience? Will it even cycle my AR? (I don't mind if it won't! I have no problem with firing them single shot, or like a repeater!) I only have about 65 yards to shoot at home, so I'm not too worried if it won't shoot 300 yards either! Any input is appreciated!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I can not offer you any help with load data for subsonics, but maybe you could try inviting some fellow INGOs with .50 BMGs over for some shootin. Then the next time you shoot .223 it will sound like .22 to your mamby pamby neighbors:D

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Why do you think going subsonic (without a can...) will appease your neighbors? That will still be a loud bang. Cycling an AR (in 5.56/.223) with subsonic will be an issue. There is/was a commercial round out there that would supposedly do it, but I mostly read bad reviews on it. Never tried it. But just going sub will NOT make it quiet.

emsdial911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Lapel
    If you live outside the city limits there is not much they can do. I have a neighbor who called the sheriff and he told her that there was nothing he could do. They didn't even come over and talk to me. She really hates it when I shoot 5lb of Tannerite :ar15:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Have you tried talking to your neighbor about a time of day it would be less bothersome to them, after all, they are your neighbors. Have you invited them over to shoot?

roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    You might give them a polite heads up (and a plate of cookies) before you commence next time. I'm sure that an unexpected gun shot can be startling to them.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Lol! I'm not exactly trying to let them control what I do on my property, but I DO have to live next to them! I know there is nothing they can legally do, but like I said, I DO have to live next to them! I know subsonic .223 still goes bang, but in theory, it does so at much lower decibels! I usually try to shoot when they are out, but that's much easier during the summer, when they are at the lake all weekend! Fall, winter, and spring, they are always home on the weekends! I don't know, maybe you guys are on to something! If I make it sound like Bosnia all day, maybe they'll move! What will it take to set up an NFA day at my house!?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    55grain bullets with about 3.8-4grains of titegroup will give you a nice subsonic round. --please look that up. I don't have my data book handy...I'm not going to be responsible for squibs or overpressures :) BUT it is still loud. I don't think this will solve your problem. Subsonic ammo just doesn't have the "crack" of the sound barrier breaking. It still makes noise from the initial combustion of the powder and escaping air.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Be a real jerk about it and con one of them into shooting with you. Maybe start with .22's and then work them into centerfire rifles. Get them addicted to shooting too, then they will spend all their money on ammo. That'll show'em!

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    My neighbors aren't liberal, or the kind that would complain, but shooting 22's when within hearing distance at home is cheap and fun and just seems like doing your part to be a good neighbor.

Not to say that I haven't lit things up with the big bores on occasion, I just try not to drive people nuts when possible.

Top Bottom