• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Good luck! I've been contemplating LASIK for some time now but am too much of a weenie:eek: Have been wearing glasses since I was 5.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Good luck on the Lasik next Tuesday, I'll be one week removed from my corneal lens replacement in the left eye (cataract:cool:) and a week out from the same procedure on the right eye.

I was in and out of the Indiana Eye Clinic surgery center in Greenwood Tuesday in under two hours. Great improvement on the vision in the left eye even though my eye is still dilated almost 36 hours later.

No burning or other bad effects other than a little dry eye that Reflex Optive has cured.

I was really amazed at how quick and easy it was and not feel a thing. The only thing that I heard was the laser or ultrasound which every they used breaking up the cataract as they was removing my corneal lens.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I would consider it, but I need to see the long term results before I decide. I'm 27 and have pretty severe astigmatism. Dunno if it'd be beneficial as my lenses are going to look more like footbalsl each year. :(

I just finally needed glasses this year, but have known about the stigmatism for a few :(

I had my eyes done with what was then Price/Whitson Cornea Institute of Indiana on North Meridian south of I-465 back in 1994 as part of the FDA studies.
    The same Dr. Price Mentioned by the OP.

I'm now into my 18th year with no ill effects, and still no eyeglasses or even reading glasses. (even though I'm 56)

I had pretty bad astigmatism in my left eye, and even in 1994 when they hadn't yet perfected laser treatment of it they improved it dramatically.

Before I had it done, I'd been a prisoner of glasses since 4th grade, and my vision was so bad that without glasses i was almost helplessly nearsighted..

I've NEVER regretted it.

Go for it, but remember it's your eyes, so don't cut corners.
    Go to Price because they've been doing it the longest in this area, and Price/Whitson Cornea Institute of Indiana was the FDA study in the central Indiana area when I had mine done in 1994.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Alright guys, here's my last post before my surgery! My appointment is tomorrow morning!

When I "see" you next it will be without glasses!

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Good luck! I have been following this thread, wanting to have it done myself. I can read a ton on the procedures, but always helps to have some actual people talking about the results that are not potentially paid advertisers of the doctors.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    waiting anxiously for the outcome. been debating this myself for years and after spending way to much money 2 weeks ago for new glasses and 6 mths of contacts I am about ready to take the plunge.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    waiting anxiously for the outcome. been debating this myself for years and after spending way to much money 2 weeks ago for new glasses and 6 mths of contacts I am about ready to take the plunge.
    Do it. My only regret is that I could not have had it done 25 years ago...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Remember we want post-surgery photos, all the cool kids post eye surgery photos:

utf-8BMTIwNTExMTEyNGEuanBn.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Remember we want post-surgery photos,

Me? Post photos?

Absolutely!

Just a quick note to say that I didn't die. :D

I just woke up from a mandatory 4-hour nap, and I'm already amazed at how much better I can see! Even just sitting here for the last 30 minutes my vision is starting to sharpen up. I can now read the wall clock from my bed. :yesway:

I'll post more (including photos!) later tonight.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So here is how today's procedure went.

I arrived back at Price Vision Group at 91st and Meridian this morning at 8:15am. I was taken back to an exam room where I got to meet my surgeon Dr. Tenkman. I've never had my pupils complimented, but I apparently have some very desirable ones. :D He is an extremely nice guy, probably in his mid 30s, and has two boys the exact same ages as mine. He examined my eyes one last time, noted no changes from last time, and turned me back over to his assistant.

I was then led into another waiting room where the receptionist gave me 2 prescriptions and went over my post-op eye drop schedule. She also gave me some sleep goggles to wear for the first week so I don't scratch or rub my eyes in my sleep.

v3klmu.jpg

At this point I also paid the remaining balance ($1,840) for the procedure. Here is the total price breakdown for the entire procedure, from start to finish:

$995 Right Eye
    $995 Left Eye
    $30 Vitamins
    $20 Eyelash wash
    $50 Prescription eyedrops 1 (after insurance)
    $35 Prescription eyedrops 2 (after insurance)
    -$25 Credit for taking survey
    --------------------------
    $2,100 total out-of-pocket expense

After only waiting about 5 minutes I was taken back and introduced to my surgical team-- Assistants Rex and Rox, Dr. Tenkman, and a photographer. Rex gave me some numbing eyedrops while Rox cleansed my eyelids with iodine. I got a cool hairnet and some tissues stuffed it it to soak up the later irrigation. I was then led into the "operating" room.

The LASIK machine consists of one bed and two laser units. The bed moves back-and-forth between them. I laid down on the bed, my knees were propped up, and a blanket was laid over me. The bed was then maneuvered underneath machine 1 (the laser that cuts a corneal flap).

In this machine I just laid still while it worked. A small "cup" was placed over each eye (one at a time) and then the machine would come down and draw a suction on my eyeball. After it was locked on a 10-second laser then cut a flap in my cornea. This was not painful at all. As the suction increases I did lose vision and everything went black. I kept looking straight and it eventually came back after the laser was finished.

After both eyes were "cut" I then kept them closed as I was moved to the other machine. My part on this next machine was the exact same-- look straight up, this time at a flashing green light. My eyelashes were taped back and my eyelids were pried open with a small spreader. The laser then did its work in just 7-seconds per eye. During this time there is a slight burning smell, but it quickly subsides. After that the corneal flap is then replaced, moved precisely back into place, and the eyeball is irrigated.

At no time was anything painful. Probably the "worst" part of the entire procedure was trying to resist the urge to blink and remembering to breathe. It would probably be slightly more uncomfortable to someone who was claustrophobic. The entire procedure, from laying down to standing up, was probably only 5 minutes.

When I sat up I looked again at the clock on the wall. The numbers were already noticeably clearer. :yesway: I was checked out one last time by Dr. Tenkman, some final photos were taken, and then I was released to my driver (my lovely wife).

I put on the sleep goggles for the drive home. As soon as I got in the car I could feel the numbing drops beginning to wear off. I decided to lay the seat back, close my eyes, and just relax on the way home. Half way home my eyes started to burn. It got progressively worse, but never to the point I'd call "painful". It was certainly uncomfortable. Almost worse was just having my eyes closed while riding in the car-- I don't do well with motion like that.

When I got home I went straight to bed, as instructed by the doctor. I took the provided sleep medication, but it took some time to take effect. The burning sensation was keeping me awake. After 30 minutes or so I finally drifted off and slept for about 4.5 hours.

My wife had my eyedrop prescriptions filled while I was sleeping, and I put them in when I woke up. All burning had stopped by this point, and I was checking out my new eyes.

I first noticed how well I could read the clock on the wall. I later noticed more detail in the pictures we have hanging on the walls around the house. I even noticed that one picture had slipped down slightly in its frame-- something I hadn't noticed in the past. Looking out my back door I can already see the houses in the next neighborhood more clearly, as well as more detail in the far-away hospital building. I've now been awake for about 3 hours and most initial glare has gone away.

Here are a few pics of my eyes.

Indoors
    2j4skdz.jpg

Outdoors
    2zs2ydv.jpg

I'll continue to report back as my vision adapts and sharpens. I now need another round of eyedrops. I have a follow-up visit tomorrow that lovemywoods will be driving me to. The office also said they would put the pictures from today's procedure into a slideshow set to music and email it to me to share here (see Printcraft's slideshow as an example).

Thanks again for all of the well-wishes. :ingo:

Top Bottom