• ...and so much more!
  • Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    For now at least.

As as some may know/remember, I've been on the hunt for a S&W Model 10, 19, or 66. Well, I still am but after looking everywhere locally that I could and not having much luck, I decided to expand my options a bit, after finding this gem at Martinsville Guns and put it on layaway until I can pick it up on Saturday. :rockwoot:

It's 686 (no dash) early 80's 4" in excellent condition with original box and wrapping paper. The owner says he thinks he has the book and Smith screw driver at home and will look for it. :)

Pics aren't the best at the moment sorry. I'll get better ones once I bring it home.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      445.9 KB · Views: 249
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      432 KB · Views: 255

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    My younger brother has both a 66 and 686. The 66 seems slightly more broken in, the trigger on it is just ridiculous. In SA mode, they are both PHENOMENAL shooters, stainless pieces of art for sure!

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Congrats on the new 686! I made the mistake of selling my 586 a couple of years back and finally fixed that with a 66-2 about a month ago. These are fantastic shooters. The trigger on both my 586 and 66 are almost telepathic. You just think squeeze and boom.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    The 686 and 586 are actually L-frames, but they are excellent guns in their own right!

I didn't know that, thanks for the info. I had a model 10 tapered bbl right beside it and they seemed almost identical in size and in weight, the 686 being a little heavier. I guess my hands and eyes are due for calibration. :hehe: I chose the 686 over the 10 mainly because of condition as the prices were comparable.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have a 4" 686 and they are probably the best duty/carry revolver made. The L frame takes the same grips as the K frame the only thing you need to know is if it's a square butt or round butt. From the pic it is probably a square butt. If I could only financially have one gun it would be a 686

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I didn't know that, thanks for the info. I had a model 10 tapered bbl right beside it and they seemed almost identical in size and in weight, the 686 being a little heavier. I guess my hands and eyes are due for calibration. :hehe: I chose the 686 over the 10 mainly because of condition as the prices were comparable.

Both great guns! The key differences are that the L-frames are supposed to be a little more durable if you shoot a lot of heavy .357 loads and you will need different speed loaders or moonclips than you'd use for a K-frame. You might be able to use non-detail molded leather holsters for either, but not kydex.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Here's the sad thing: back in the mid 1990s, excellent condition, 4-inch 686s were going for $300 and less. It was the time when a lot of police departments were switching from the 686 to a self-loader of some kind.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Both great guns! The key differences are that the L-frames are supposed to be a little more durable if you shoot a lot of heavy .357 loads and you will need different speed loaders or moonclips than you'd use for a K-frame. You might be able to use non-detail molded leather holsters for either, but not kydex.

No way I'm letting kydex rub the finish on this. I already know this is one I'm not planning on selling.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The key differences are that the L-frames are supposed to be a little more durable if you shoot a lot of heavy .357 loads

L Frame Smith and Wesson's....Brought to you by Bill Ruger and the Security-Six...I am a huge Smith fan and when Ruger began getting some of that LEO market with the "built like a tank Ruger .357 magnums",Smith and Wesson lept to the challenge with the L frames....You have got a very nice piece there...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    . . . and, he can still get a K-frame because that was his goal! Two great Amish guns for the price of one quest!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have been looking for a 4" 586/698 for a long time now. I am jealous! I sold a 586 years ago and wish I hadn't.

Lep36

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    North side
    That's a beauty! I've got 2 model 66 no dash, well, I have one and my wife has the other! The 686 is just a tad heavy for my liking, but you can run it all day long and not worry about it breaking. Congrats!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Thanks everyone for the oohs and ahhs, and all the good info. I can't wait to get it home, cleaned and lubed so I can get it dirty! I also picked up a 500 ct box of 148 gr wadcutters so I would have some to load up some good plinking rounds. Any recommendations for loads/bullet weights target and also for SD ammo? Right now, the only powder I have is Win 231.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    For now at least.

As as some may know/remember, I've been on the hunt for a S&W Model 10, 19, or 66. Well, I still am but after looking everywhere locally that I could and not having much luck, I decided to expand my options a bit, after finding this gem at Martinsville
    attachment.php

The most aesthetic revolver EVER in my humble opinion!!! Great find! Congrats to you! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom