• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I was headed to an account this afternoon to troubleshoot an adhesive issue a customer was having. I was talking on the phone that was connected to the bluetooh HF system in my car. I was headed south on SR 19 and just four miles north of Wakarusa when I met a crusier headed nothbound. He lit up his light and I looked down to notice I was doing over 60 mph.

I pulled way off the road on the shoulder. Got my Drivers License, LTCH and registration out and had my hands on the stering wheel at 2:00 & 10:00. He identified himself and asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I told him that I did not know why. He said that I was speeding. I handed him my credentials ad informed him that I had a firearm in the vehicle. He asked where the firearm was at. I told him it was holsterd on my right hip.

He took my credentials ad went back to his cruiser. Five minutes later he returned to my car where my hands remained at 2:00 & 10:00 on the stering wheel. He said "First of all I want to thank you for letting me know about the firearmin your vehicle, but I am issuing you a sitation for speeding" He said he clocked me at 67 in a 55, I didn't think I was that much over but I guess I was. I asked for a warning instead of the ticket and was informed that they don't write any warnings. He said that they were given grant money by the state for "Operation Safety" He said they are writing tickets for for any violation including seatbelts.

He handled the firearm possession by me very professional as the way it should be. +1 for the way the officer handled the firearm but the ticket sucked. My own fault but still sux.

SR 19 between Elkhart and Nappanee is being worked pretty hard right now and they are nit picking for fines. One of the employees at my customer told me that he received a ticket for a burnt out license plate light.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    One of the employees at my customer told me that he received a ticket for a burnt out license plate light.

I'd go to court on this one and say I replaced it immediately after. Any judge in his right mind will toss the ticket.

Glad you had a good experience. However, I still do not recommend informing unless you believe the officer will see or become aware of the fact that you have a firearm.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Glad you had a good experience. However, I still do not recommend informing unless you believe the officer will see or become aware of the fact that you have a firearm.

This is the first time I have been pulled over since I started carring everyday. I will have to say that this officer helped to solidify my choice to inform. I will continue to do so until I have a negative interaction and that may change my method.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    This is the first time I have been pulled over since I started carring everyday. I will have to say that this officer helped to solidify my choice to inform. I will continue to do so until I have a negative interaction and that may change my method.

First off, carrying a handgun on you in your car is illegal without a LTCH. So by saying you are doing so you open yourself up to investigation. Second, courts have upheld the right of officers to disarm you for their safety during a traffic stop. They may take your gun from you and run it. If they run it the fact that you carry may be broadcasted over a scanner. In addition, if they run it you have basically just "registered" your firearm with the police. Sometimes when they return the gun they return it in pieces.

There is practically no benefit to informing. However, by informing there are all kinds of things that can go wrong and possibly extend your time on the side of the street. It is not an officers business what is in your car unless there is something illegal in plain sight.

My personal rule is to only inform if I believe the officer has or will see my gun.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

How exactly was your choice to inform solidified by the officer? What was the benefit of informing?

You're implying that the absence of a negative reaction to the information you offered was somehow more positive than the same absence if you hadn't informed.

Just curious about your reasoning.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think it sucks that a Wakarusa cop nabbed you 4 miles north of Wakarusa. I know they can do it, but I still think they should only ticket people in their town.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I think it sucks that a Wakarusa cop nabbed you 4 miles north of Wakarusa. I know they can do it, but I still think they should only ticket people in their town.

I think it also sucks that there is grant money involved in some do good program to write tickets. Now we're paying the people we already pay to the job they're paid to do?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    First off, carrying a handgun on you in your car is illegal without a LTCH. So by saying you are doing so you open yourself up to investigation. Second, courts have upheld the right of officers to disarm you for their safety during a traffic stop. They may take your gun from you and run it. If they run it the fact that you carry may be broadcasted over a scanner. In addition, if they run it you have basically just "registered" your firearm with the police. Sometimes when they return the gun they return it in pieces.

There is practically no benefit to informing. However, by informing there are all kinds of things that can go wrong and possibly extend your time on the side of the street. It is not an officers business what is in your car unless there is something illegal in plain sight.

My personal rule is to only inform if I believe the officer has or will see my gun.
    He has a Larry.

And the "officer safety" has to be articulated with justification of something more than the mere fact of possessing a firearm.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County

Driving a car without a Drivers License is illegal as well, that is why I have a drivers license. The reason I have a LTCH is so that I can legally carry in my car. If they feel the need to disarm me then that is something that I will deal with if it ever happens. I don't have a tin foil hat so I'm too worried about them knowing the serial number of my EDC, or broadcasting over the air that I have a gun. I do know how to reassemble my firearm.

Wheather or not there is any benefit to informing is personal preference. Yours is not to and mine is to inform. I travel to several states for work and some of them require you to inform. I choose to pick one method and run with it until I have been forced to change my opinion.

I respect your decision and I can only hope your ca respect mine.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    How exactly was your choice to inform solidified by the officer? What was the benefit of informing?

You're implying that the absence of a negative reaction to the information you offered was somehow more positive than the same absence if you hadn't informed.

Just curious about your reasoning.

I guess you can call it testing the waters to see how the interaction would go. It was positive, so I feel as though it was the right choice. As far as no negative being better than doing nothing at all, surprises me from you ATM. My informing him that I have a weapon is no different than your perfered open carry method. You have a right to open carry for all to see. I have the right to carry in my car and informing is my right to do or not to do, just like your choice to OC or CC.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    I've informed once and that'll be the last time. Nothing too horrible, just made an already stressing (car in a ditch) situation more stressful. Some officers are wonderful, and some aren't, and it sure is hard to tell them apart beforehand.

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I guess you can call it testing the waters to see how the interaction would go.

Most will go fine, it's the ones that don't you'll wish you'd avoided.

It was positive, so I feel as though it was the right choice.

That's just hindsight, I was more interested by any goals or benefits you may have had in your mind (vs the possible negatives) when you made the choice.

As far as no negative being better than doing nothing at all, surprises me from you ATM. My informing him that I have a weapon is no different than your perfered open carry method. You have a right to open carry for all to see. I have the right to carry in my car and informing is my right to do or not to do, just like your choice to OC or CC.

I didn't negate your freedom to choose, I inquired of your reasoning since it obviously differs from mine.

Though I have had one negative experience during a traffic stop years ago (the only time I ever informed), simple risk vs reward would have guided me to not introduce that information had I thought it through beforehand. Like you, I was just "testing the waters" that time and wished immediately that I hadn't. There was nothing to be gained while detained, just the possibility of extra hassle.

I don't get on people about preferring concealment, either, but I sometimes inquire of or discuss their reasoning.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Most will go fine, it's the ones that don't you'll wish you'd avoided.

That's just hindsight, I was more interested by any goals or benefits you may have had in your mind (vs the possible negatives) when you made the choice.

I didn't negate your freedom to choose, I inquired of your reasoning since it obviously differs from mine.

Though I have had one negative experience during a traffic stop years ago (the only time I ever informed), simple risk vs reward would have guided me to not introduce that information had I thought it through beforehand. Like you, I was just "testing the waters" that time and wished immediately that I hadn't. There was nothing to be gained while detained, just the possibility of extra hassle.

I don't get on people about preferring concealment, either, but I sometimes inquire of or discuss their reasoning.

When my kids were at home I always told them the "Dad will be as good to them as they will let me be" I am doing the same thing with informing I will do so unless I have reason not to. That reason will not come from experiences others have had. I wasn't there with them when they had the issue. I might be in the same boat as you one day if I have a bad experience that would not be singled out to just one officers bad judgment. I guess I look at it as a freedom that I have. I also lool at it as what would I want to happen to me if I was in the officers position.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm glad it the gun part went well and I would never criticize you for choosing to inform the officer.

I do not inform, but if asked, I would tell the truth...but I've never been asked (in 3 or 4 traffic stops since I have had my LTCH).

ATM

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    When my kids were at home I always told them the "Dad will be as good to them as they will let me be" I am doing the same thing with informing I will do so unless I have reason not to. That reason will not come from experiences others have had. I wasn't there with them when they had the issue. I might be in the same boat as you one day if I have a bad experience that would not be singled out to just one officers bad judgment. I guess I look at it as a freedom that I have. I also lool at it as what would I want to happen to me if I was in the officers position.

You have the freedom to waive all of your rights, for any or no reason at all ...they'll never make that illegal. ;)

I don't really follow your intent or reasoning to continue, either. Why do you consider informing an officer that you're armed "being good to them"?

Would you waive other rights just because you'd like that if you were in the officer's position?

Top Bottom