• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I would think about what you lost and aside from the video tape and maybe some files on the laptop you did not loose jack in the big picture of life.

Homeowners insurance will get you new "stuff". The psychological aspect is something that will just take time to get over. The tape is probably not coming back, sorry for that.

Thieves can get in period but judging by what was taken you are not in that bad of shape. They must not have felt they could clean you out of anything large so you are probably in good shape there. I would look at where they entered and determine why that spot was chosen - was is a blocked from view doorway or a spot they felt comfortable they would not be seen? If it is then you might need to do something there.

Simple motion detector lights are great. I have them and even when I walk up and the lights come on it makes me pause and think "who turned that light on"? LOL

You have already taken care of the door and I agree with the sbsg2005 that the door frame is something to look at but again, if they are in an unseen area they can work it with tools.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Definitely sorry you had to deal with the incident.

It's unfortunate that there are such cold-hearted, sons of b*tches out there that do this.
    Sounds like you're doing what you can to recuperate...
    Just don't ever forget: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

The thief walked out of your house successfully... so your chances are more likely than ever for a return.

Make sure you give them a reason to turn around and go somewhere else.

The easiest ways of deterring a potential-robbery at your home...
    Motion Detector Lights, Always leaving at least one light on in your house that's visible from outside,
    and as silly as this sounds... Putting up a Security sticker outside of your door(s)... (Yes, even if you don't actually have it).

If that won't do the trick or suffice,
    A guard dog and a surveillance system are more expensive options, but work.
    Statistics are the very proof that most robberies/thieves/criminals are mentally sane, clear minded and "normal".
    Human instinct will trigger for most of them the moment you give them a reason not to break in. Just a thought.

Good luck and am glad nothing worse came of this,

Jeff

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I came home tonight to my back door being kicked in.

should read "having been kicked in." When I read "being kicked in," I thought that you got home as it happened. I'm very glad for your family that that was not the case. I hope you get back the footage of your father.

seriously though, a little girls piggy bank? thats low.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Thanks for all the support. I'm going to try and move on. This is a lesson in life for me. I will make the house much safer and move forward. Hopefully this never happens again.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I worried my house is going to get broken into, cause my house has 8 french doors, wife love the idea of being able to look into the side & back yard from almost any room in the house. But i'm worry some scumbag will break thur the glass.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    What a terrible situation. Too bad you didn't have a few rotties, GSDs, dobermans, etc. in the house. There would have been chunks of that dead POS who broke in all over your house, and the dogs would have been feasting.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Glad you are safe.

Sorry you are having to deal with this situation. I am glad you are safe and they didn't get away with too much. I'm not sure how I would handle this situation. I've tried to make my home as secure as possible and our two GSDs are an excellent security system. I would imagine the feeling of being violated would be the worst part. Hopefully you will never have to deal with anything like this again. +1 for the way you and your wife reacted. Take care and stay safe.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sorry to hear about the break-in.

Somewhere on INGO a while back someone posted up a door latch and deadbolt reinforcement kit (or plate, something) that really seems to help make the door stronger.

Anyone know what Im talking about??

I made my own so it is not that difficult. Minimal skills involved to accomplish
    the task.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    glad to see the cameras are in the works to add. They may not be perfect and get the face of the robber, but they get a general description, and if placed in the right areas, what kind of car/truck/van and its color to help aid police.

If it were me, doors/frames, alarm, cameras (in that order) then a dog (even an ankle biter)

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    My previous home was broken into back in the 90's; I was just out of school and didn't have much. The damage was about the same as my deductable (I would have been better to leave the doors unlocked).

The police said they may try again in about 2 months, which happened (an armed neighbor chased him off). My guess is he was a student (it was a school break each time) and lived in one of the many Apt. nearby (walking distance)?

After the second time, I got an alarm - no problems since. I moved a few years later, I never really felt safe there again.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I hope this doesn't sound too sick to consider but have you and your wife checked all the closets and drawers where your clothes are stored? A lady I used to work with had her home broken into and the dude rifled through her clothes and did something nasty on a pair of her panties in a drawer. Just a caution.

I know the feeling of being broken into. I was the first one into our business on the Monday following a younger brother's wedding. The place had been ransacked and the safe was laying on its side busted open. It's a very scary and infuriating feeling.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    In the current economy, I don't think we have any safe neighborhoods. If the economy continues as is or gets worse, then look out.
    This may have some validity but I don't think your average laid off factory or trade worker is going to suddenly go out and start busting into houses (although some of the plumbers I've worked with over the years look like they could do that:D). Most of these low lifes are just that way. They are recession-proof "business men."

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I reread the op and am wondering if your wife might have scared him/them off when she came home. If that was the case the whole situation is much scarier. There is probably nothing more dangerous than walking in and the perp(s) are still there. I hope that wasn't the case.

LFD102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Sorry to hear about the bad luck. several years ago we had some one try to kick in our front door while we were home scared the living SH** out of us but not as bad as the bad guy met by a 120 lbs Rottie. where we live now several of the homes around me have been broken into or their bars have been but we have been left alone. I'm a firm believer that is because of the 2 pit bulls running around the house and yard.
    Since my wife is not a big gun person I insist on having dogs with the hours I work if nothing else they give enough warning for her and the kids to hid and call for help or scar the dirt bag off
    Oh by the way I HATE a thief

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    im not sure if anyone has said this yet cause i didnt take the time to read through all the posts. but i would upgrade your doors to steel and i would also look into getting the 3m security windows...im not sure exactly what it is called but ive seen it tested and it works extremely well

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    All of my neighbors have been robbed several times over the years, believe the reason i havnt had any touble are all the bad A fully trained attack dogs being trained in front of my house by the road for everyone to see. some of these dogs will pull your guts out for real. some will also stay on attack after being shot or severly injured. most have been working line shepards, budsuckersloss, straze, are some of my favorite lines. currantly have a dog that i think will beat them all. was able to shoot full 44mag loads next to him without a release on a jute at 6 weeks old very solid temperment, only time will tell, he is only 4 months now. best part of this dog he was given to me free. will recomend this breed when he is evaluated in a year or so. dont think anyone could guess the breed should be 50 to 60 pounds when full grown.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    -Update-
    Just found the laptop 5 minutes ago. It was hidden underneath our bed under stuff we hadn't gotten to yet. Now I can't find my glasses (normally wear contacts except at night).

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    So I've decided to spend Xmas bonus on motion lights, cameras, alarm system. This should be a good start. Wife started carrying her handgun on her person today. She usually gloveboxed it until now.

Top Bottom