• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    My Diamond dog food is cornless. Its 'lamb and rice' large breed puppy food. Its suppose to be really good for their joints...

Well what do ya know? I'm sitting here staring at an empty bag of Diamond Lamb and Rice that Leo just finished last night...Too bad Kara picked up a 50 lb bag of Exceed yesterday and already opened it.:n00b:

I guess I know he doesn't have a corn allergy though, because he started itching before he finished the bag of Diamond.

I guess I'll stick with benadryl and I'll try the Salmon oil...And I'll definitely be picking up the dog food from now on.:rolleyes:

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    Well what do ya know? I'm sitting here staring at an empty bag of Diamond Lamb and Rice that Leo just finished last night...Too bad Kara picked up a 50 lb bag of Exceed yesterday and already opened it.:n00b:

I guess I know he doesn't have a corn allergy though, because he started itching before he finished the bag of Diamond.

I guess I'll stick with benadryl and I'll try the Salmon oil...And I'll definitely be picking up the dog food from now on.:rolleyes:

might not be the corn...3 most common food issues are corn, chicken and wheat...or it could not be food related at all...The thing to keep in mind with the higher quality foods (i.e. Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance-both have Limited Ingredient Diets, aka allergy diets) is that the dog eats less to meet nutritional needs then a lower quality food because they're digested more of what they're eating. My 40# high energy heeler eats 1-1/2 cups of Blue Buffalo a day...very high energy and she has no problem maintaining her weight...just a thought...oh and she poops 1x a day...

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    might not be the corn...3 most common food issues are corn, chicken and wheat...or it could not be food related at all...The thing to keep in mind with the higher quality foods (i.e. Blue Buffalo, Natural Balance-both have Limited Ingredient Diets, aka allergy diets) is that the dog eats less to meet nutritional needs then a lower quality food because they're digested more of what they're eating. My 40# high energy heeler eats 1-1/2 cups of Blue Buffalo a day...very high energy and she has no problem maintaining her weight...just a thought...oh and she poops 1x a day...

This was something else I was wondering, but forgot to ask.

I'm giving my little moose 2 cups, 3 times a day right now...Do you have any idea how much Blue Buffalo that would translate to?

Right now I'm letting him eat a lot while he's putting on weight, but once he hits ~110 lbs, I'm going to cut his diet way down in attempt to keep him living and healthy for as long as possible...He's going to be a massive dog, so I'm not sure if ~110 lbs is realistic, but I'm going to do my damnedest to try.

Damn, one poop a day would be really nice.:D

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    He no longer has chicken, corn or wheat in his diet anymore and he also takes benedryl and fish oil everyday. So far, so good.

Since he only needs to eliminate twice a day, I leave his bowl full now and he has drastically cut back on how much he eats. His food aggression towards Xander and his Dog buddies is pretty much nonexistent now...I guess it's because he knows he'll always have a full bowl to go to.

He's almost 9 months now and he's around 77 lbs give or take a lb or two.

Here he is a couple weeks ago during some training exercises(all I have are crappy phone pictures):

IMG00001-20100513-1815.jpg

And here he is tonight...He has two new cuts under his eye and I have no idea how he does it(luckily they go away):n00b:

IMG00029-20100630-1926.jpg

He's pretty much completely balanced now and there's nothing I haven't been able to teach him within an hour or two.

I ran him pretty hard tonight, so when we came back I gave him some leftover porkchops and now he's crashed.:):

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    As per 40cal's request, here is an update on Leo.

He's now 10 1/2 months old and right around 80 lbs.

He still has really annoying (dry) skin issues, but with bi monthly bathes, benedryl, fish old and Vitamin E pills, he's been a lot better. It's just a pain in the butt to remember everyday. One plus though, is he's so used to taking them, I can just take the handful of pills and toss them down his throat now.

Anyway, here are some pics...

Playing fetch at the park.

DSC_4844.jpg

DSC_4849.jpg

DSC_4843.jpg

Snuggling up to his buddy.

DSC_4687.jpg

The sad face he always gives me when I make him pose.

DSC_4885.jpg

High five!

DSC_4887.jpg

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Dry Skin issues. My vet and the woman that taught me and barney in obedience class, said that too many bathes cause dry skin and dandruff. Only bathe your dog at least once every 3 months is what they told me.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Dry Skin issues. My vet and the woman that taught me and barney in obedience class, said that too many bathes cause dry skin and dandruff. Only bathe your dog at least once every 3 months is what they told me.

I've always heard that too, but he started getting these issues before I gave him this many bathes...We use the oatmeal bath, which seems to soothe his skin.

I actually think my biggest problem is forgetting his pills. I haven't forgot a single day this week and I just took a look at his back and there is no signs of itching, except for thin hair, but he did that about over a week ago.

Leo is outside so much playing with his buddy(I take him to my parents house to run several times a week and they have a 6-7 month old GSD) so much that we wouldn't be able to stand the smell if we waited every 3 months to wash him.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Im jealous! Beautiful pup, he'll be a great addition to the family.

He already is.:D

He has had his "big boy" bark since he's been about 4 months old...He would, without question bite someone that he knew was a threat, but he needs a few more months under his belt before he'll be ready to inflict serious damage if push came to shove.

He still has his little quirks, but he's a phenomenal dog and is sharp as a tack.

I still want to wait another year before I get my next dog...I want Leonidas to be completely balanced and trained before I get another puppy.

I just need to decide if I want another GSD or an Ovcharka...It's up in the air, but I have awhile to decide.

Muddy_Ford

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Hartford City
    He looks great Joe! My Golden has had itching issues since he was little and I bought one of those furminator brushes that you guys were talking about on here and that has helped tremindously! I'm going to try some of those pills you're giving Leo and see if that finally knocks out the remaining little bit of the problem.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    He's looking good, Joe.

Thanks!

He looks great Joe! My Golden has had itching issues since he was little and I bought one of those furminator brushes that you guys were talking about on here and that has helped tremindously! I'm going to try some of those pills you're giving Leo and see if that finally knocks out the remaining little bit of the problem.

And thanks!

I'm not sure if we are dealing with the same itching issues if the furminator has helped, but large bottles of benedryl, fish oil pills and Vit. E inexpensive, so it couldn't hurt to try.

If you see that that concoction of pills actually do help, PM me for details on a ridiculously easy way to administer them.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom