My first rant: Why can't idiot drivers merge correctly?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    i heard somewhere that like 80% of traffic jams are caused simply by people in general being moronic drivers...namely not knowing how to merge properly

No it's because of the me first idealogy, take for example either the 465east/865 north exit or 465 north/69 north, they run down the left lane untill the last second to get as far down the road as they can then merge at the last second forcing everyone behind them to hit the brakes to keep from hitting them.

If the would have been patient enough to merge 1 mile earlier, traffic would flow smoothly instead of getting the "Me first" traffic jam.

It all falls to the idea that if everyone would leave 5 minutes ealier, there would be no rush to hurry down and merge at the last second.

Of course it all reverts back to reprogramming people, something you can not do to most of the idiots on the road.

Believe me, in 25 years plus of delivering beer, I've seen more than my fair share of the road rage idiots.

Last edited:

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I drive a semi and if I see a semi getting on the interstate I move over. If I am in the city the likelyhood of a car going slower than me is not high at all. So based on this I do not move over that much in a city unless it is for a another semi. I got tired of moving over and then by the time it came to move back over to the right lane some other clown is now passing me on the right because they "can't" wait.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Proper driving in general is more and more uncommon. I too spend a lot of time on the road both on and off the highway. If it weren't for the possibility of being distracted from my own driving, I'd make a conscious effort to get video of the many morons I encounter every day. Then I'd post them somewhere for all to see along with some choice comments. Its entirely too easy to get a driver's license. The problem with making it more difficult is the fact that many of them would just drive anyway. The percentage of unlicensed and/or uninsured drivers these days is crazy.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    You think that's bad? Come to Hamilton county where they're replacing every 4-way stop in the county with a roundabout and nobody knows the difference between "yield" and "stop".

And head over to the I69 / 116th St / SR 37 interchange. A complete cluster every day.. all because people don't know how to merge. I've even been cut off my school buses at that interchange!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I see the people that get in the far left lane going on 465 s on the east side heading for 65S. Right at the last moment they pull the over 2 lanes and pray all stop before hitting them. See this everyday.

I also see semis, cars, police cars, other school buses run the stop arm of a bus with all red lights flashing.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    You all need to visit China some day and drive there. Then you will appreciate how excellent and polite American drivers really are. :patriot:

I only bicycled. Somehow I survived...:)

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    You all need to visit China some day and drive there. Then you will appreciate how excellent and polite American drivers really are. :patriot:

I'll gladly pass on that. I got to witness a Chinese student total someone's car in a parking lot because he thought it was ok to drive however he wanted since he was blaring his horn and flashing his lights. The girl he hit was sitting there waiting for her turn at a 4 way stop. He got out and chewed her out for being in his way when it was his turn to go through the intersection (he was coming down a lane in the parking lot a good 30mph and wanted to blow through the intersection not caring about any cars already waiting in line).

And yeah, OP...it isn't just people in cars driving like idiots. While there are some very considerate and safe truckers, there are also some that shouldn't be allowed to drive bumper cars. I've known a handful of people that ended up dead because a trucker wasn't paying attention to what they were doing (blowing red lights @ 10-20 over the speed limit, drifting way over the lines and hitting stopped cars in turn lanes, and a trucker that decided it was a great idea to pay more attention to some females in a vehicle he was passing and ended up drifting off the road into a ditch that dropped about 3-5' down from the shoulder).

EVERYONE drives like a moron at times. Doesn't matter how many miles you've logged, how many years you've been driving, or how many years you've watched NASCAR and thought you could run with them. Remember, some of those guys even take some dangerous hard right turns when they should be turning left.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I'll gladly pass on that. I got to witness a Chinese student total someone's car in a parking lot because he thought it was ok to drive however he wanted since he was blaring his horn and flashing his lights. The girl he hit was sitting there waiting for her turn at a 4 way stop. He got out and chewed her out for being in his way when it was his turn to go through the intersection (he was coming down a lane in the parking lot a good 30mph and wanted to blow through the intersection not caring about any cars already waiting in line).
    What was her problem, didn't she see and hear him coming??:):

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    And yeah, OP...it isn't just people in cars driving like idiots. While there are some very considerate and safe truckers, there are also some that shouldn't be allowed to drive bumper cars. I've known a handful of people that ended up dead because a trucker wasn't paying attention to what they were doing (blowing red lights @ 10-20 over the speed limit, drifting way over the lines and hitting stopped cars in turn lanes, and a trucker that decided it was a great idea to pay more attention to some females in a vehicle he was passing and ended up drifting off the road into a ditch that dropped about 3-5' down from the .

FWIW I wasn't being specific to just drivers of cars. I agree there are some really unqualified truck drivers out there too.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else

The last accident that I was involved in was caused by a Chinese IU student on a bicycle riding the wrong direction 4 lanes left of center. Fortunately, I was making a right turn from a stop sign and barely moving, so no one was seriously hurt. He got up and proceeded to go off on me because I "wasn't watching where I was going.":n00b: He demanded that we call the police, which I happily did. He got really quite when the LEO turned ask me if I wanted him sited.:)

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    You think that's bad? Come to Hamilton county where they're replacing every 4-way stop in the county with a roundabout and nobody knows the difference between "yield" and "stop".

I hear ya! They're doing that in St. Joe County, too. People are totally clueless about them. Roundabouts make me yearn for merge lane idiots.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    As far as merging is concerned, most people seem to fear the pedal on the right. You are NOT going to hurt your car by stepping on that pedal. With practice it can even become fun!

Sorry to tell you this, it is not true that they fear the pedal on the right, in fact it is the exact opposite.

They have no knowlefge of the word MERGE, to them merge means accelerate to beat the guy beside you there first. They throw their vehicle into the throngs at warps speed with no concern to anyone around them, because after all, it is them that they only worry about.

If I remember before I head home tonight, I'll put the Driod X on the dash and start up DailyRoads Voyager (it turns your phone into a dash cam) and video some of the idiots on the way home.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Since nobodys has mentioned it, I will; how many of these driving impaired people are busy on their cell phone? I'd say most. I can spot a cell phone user very easily by their driving habits. The majority of times I finally get to pass a poor driver, they have a phone stuck to their ear. Of course, there were bad drivers before cell phones, now its a lot worse.

Heck I can be on the phone, eat a Big Mac and still function normayly, if you amuse me I'll turn to show you the phone, Big Mac and stick my tounge out at you while driving with my knee in my SUV and you'd never know it unless I made you aware of it.

Driving is quickly becoming a lost art, I bet that 90% of the people out there if confronted with a life or death sitituation while driving could not avoid it because of their poor drving skills.

Sacrifice_Me

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Refresher Course on the Rules of the Road

“Unwritten” Rules of the Road
    (D-bags, pay attention)

As each generation passes, these "rules" will be lost.

No.10 Defer to superior cars
    Your GTI will be thoroughly smoked by the GT-R next to you if the guy so chooses; don’t provoke him into a race you can’t possibly win. When someone has a superior car, defer to it. Don’t screw with him, even if you admire his ride and just want to see and hear it pull away fast. If a superior car is in your way, just pass safely and spare the theatrics. Your dignity will thank you for it.

No.9 Show respect when parking
    In this unwritten rule of the road, it’s how and where you park that matters. Look, the lines in a parking lot are there for a reason. Stay between them -- evenly -- and you’ll minimize door dings while actually being able to exit without contact. As for the guys who park in the far reaches, understand they’re doing it for a reason. Even if it’s a crap car, give the other guy some room.

No.8 Go easy on two-wheelers
    If you haven’t tried getting around on two wheels, you ought to give it a shot. Bikes and motorcycles each deliver a unique riding experience that can’t be duplicated from behind the wheel of a car. And until you’re outside the four-wheel isolation chamber, you won’t appreciate a downside to cycling -- and that’s how other vehicles sometimes treat you. If being cut off or tailgated in a car is annoying, it can get downright frightening on a bike. Watch for them, and allow space.

No.7 Give heads-up on radar
    According to USA Today, the recession could cost you in a way you never imagined: a speeding ticket. The article links strained budgets with lower tolerance for exceeding posted limits, even by just a few miles per hour -- so much for warnings, right? Not necessarily, if you follow the unwritten rule of the road by giving heads-up on radar. Though we’re not condoning speeding or trying to interfere, we also appreciate a couple of quick flashes of lights from oncoming traffic around a speed trap.

No.6 Don’t block lower vehicles
    When you have a truck or SUV, you tend to sit higher and have a better view of the road. That alone is a big part of the appeal (of course, the more there are, the less advantageous the higher altitude, but we digress). Still, not everyone’s bought in. Crossovers and conventional cars are still on the road, and they need a fair shake to see and be seen. Preferential treatment isn’t necessary; just try not to block cars’ lateral view when you can help it, like at driveways and intersections.

No.5 Stop to help breakdowns
    There’s nothing wrong with a healthy sense of self-preservation, but it’s OK to offer help when someone’s stranded on the road, even if it’s just calling a tow truck for them. If you were driving before cell phones existed, you’ve probably been on both sides of this unwritten rule of the road. It’s still a good one to follow, as long as you use your judgment: grandfatherly type in vintage roadster = probably harmless; dude in hockey mask with a molester van = be wary.

No.4 Don’t dawdle at the pump
    If you watch auto racing, you know all about fast pit stops and how critical they are. Don’t you wish gas station stops would go as quickly? Forget 12 seconds, sometimes you’re lucky just to get your turn in 12 minutes. As an unwritten rule of the road, dawdling at the pump is not permitted. Gas up and go. If you want to check your oil and wash your windows while on the phone before abandoning your car to shop inside for an hour, fine. Just pull away from the pump first.

No.3 Don’t block the left lane
    The left lane is the passing lane -- get in, get out. At least that’s the urban legend. Too often we’re seeing the left lane as a place to mindlessly drone along. Try that on the German Autobahn and you’ll come home without a vital organ or two. When someone won’t relinquish left lane dominance, others’ patience runs understandably thin and things can get dangerous with tailgating and risky attempts to squeeze past. Even if you don’t like faster traffic passing you, look at it this way: They’ll flush out the radar for you.

No.2 Don’t jump the line
    As much as we despise offenders of our previous unwritten rules of the road, there’s no excuse for jumping the line either. When approaching toll booths, merging into traffic or for lane closures, don’t be a self-important douche. Seriously, if you save any time at all, it’s usually negligible. So, signal your lane change, don’t cut off, and show thanks when you’re let in. While you’re at it, give big trucks a flash of the lights when they’re trying to get in ahead of you to let them know they have enough space.

No.1 Drive at the speed of traffic
    Our biggest unwritten rule of the road is driving at the speed of traffic and consistently staying within a 5-to-10-mph range. It’s not an “everyone else is doing it” endorsement of speeding, because we’re saying you shouldn’t go too slow or too fast. The idea is that going with the flow keeps the flow going. You don’t get stuck in clusters of cars or create them while reducing the risk of collisions between vehicles traveling different speeds.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    If you want to get extremely frustrated head South down I-465 on the Westside of Indianapolis near the I-74 ramp. I nearly get smashed EVERY single morning because people come flying around the ramp and only have 10ft to merge before they hit a block wall. The best part is that their is a YIELD sign on the ramp telling them to yield to traffic that is already on I-465.

Just last week I was in the far right lane and had a semi to my left and a semi come flying around the ramp to merge onto I-465. Luckily my car had enough "get up and go" that I took off before getting squished inbetween the two semi's.

There must be a lot of accidents right there because INDOT finaly put a sign that says watch for merging traffic right before you get to that area.

Friggin IDIOTS! :xmad:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    My first rant: Why can't idiot drivers merge correctly?

You had your answer all along.

People are not taught how to drive well. What little they are taught they quickly forget. I would guess that the majority of people could not even pass a driving test.

Exactly this.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Another forgotten rule of driving. The white lines at 4 way stops, stop lights and such intersections have a meaning. Stop behind them.

Top Bottom