• ...and so much more!
  • Kingrat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Evansville
    ok be forewarned that this will be a long story

it starts this last sunday 2/1/09 at the west side walmart in evansville, i walked in looking for one of the walmart special ruger 10/22's with the 22" stainless barrel, luckily this location still sells guns

so i go to the back and they have one, and i say that i want to buy it, guy leaves and gets another guy from automotive because walmart hasnt trained the guy manning the counter on how to complete the process of selling a firearm

2 forms and 1 hour later i walk out with my first ruger 10/22... note: ive bought guns before, i know how to fill out the forms to most gun stores satisfaction, except walmart takes them to the next level :rolleyes:

went out and shot it sunday and all was good, until this morning (monday 2/2/09) they call my cell phone number while i was at work and asked me if i could come back and and fix where i abbreviated 2009 as 09 (wtf are they worried about that for, either its 1909, 2009, or 2109)

i know i have no legal obligation to go back and fix a previously filled out form after they and their managers sign off on it and complete the sale but i decided i would do it rather than having them call me and bother me again for 2 numbers

so at this point i was thinking about it all day and decided if they wanted to inconvenience me i would try and inconvenience them so tonight i walked in open carry with my dan wesson 1911 sticking out of my owb don hume, walked around, went back to the sports dept and told the guy the story about the phone call

at this point he was like :runaway: i dunno where the forms are and nobody told me so i had him call a manager and he spent 10 minutes on the phone with them figuring out what was going on, i fixed it, talked to him for a couple minutes, walked around the store some more, and left

no reaction, im a bit disappointed i couldnt pull the "well if you dont want me to go fix the paperwork your managers called me for, ill just leave" act that i had thought about a couple times during the day :dunno:

but i suppose its good too that nobody even paid any attention or seemed to care, im only a little peeved that one of the managers called me for such a stupid thing

but i guess i can see where they would be so cautious being such a large chain that still sells guns in some stores but ive never had to write "na" in the blank boxes, and write out the full "east" in my address, where do you draw the line?

moral of the story: the 22" ruger 10/22 is awesome for $240, nobody at the west side walmart seems to care if you open carry, and I don't care enough to use punctuation. :)

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I've been to that store several times, especially when we camp at Burdette Park. I always CC there, haven't OC'd yet. It usually takes an eternity to find someone to help buy ammo or look at rifles.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    In all fairness this CS about abbreviations is not a Walmart thing, it's an ATF thing. They really are that anal about their stupid forms. They will try to snag dealers on ANYTHING stupid.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    In all fairness this CS about abbreviations is not a Walmart thing, it's an ATF thing. They really are that anal about their stupid forms. They will try to snag dealers on ANYTHING stupid.

Exactly correct and one of the reasons that Wal-Mart has dropped Firearms Sales in many stores :patriot:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I miss the OLD walmart on the West Siiiiiiiiiiide.

I had TWO late-night runs in order to buy bandaids/bandages. Both times it was me that needed them. And needed them "right now".

Good times...good times.

No more Schlotsky's or Back Yard Burger though... That's a bummer. The Christian bookstore that I used to work at has finally closed, too. (Can't figure out how they stayed open as long as they did...)

-J-

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Your correct about the ATF being anal and just needing to complete the forms correctly. I would hate to think what ammo/guns would be going for if Walmart lost their permits to carry or sell it.
    Besides most of "these" products are still American made which is a small percentage of everything else that they carry.

9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Kingrat said:
    so at this point i was thinking about it all day and decided if they wanted to inconvenience me i would try and inconvenience them so tonight i walked in open carry with my dan wesson 1911 sticking out of my owb don hume, walked around, went back to the sports dept and told the guy the story about the phone call
    I am sure there are many good reasons one might want to OC.

I just can't see where doing it for the sole reason of hoping to "inconvenience" someone is a good reason.

:twocents:

Last edited:

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    You got a new gun?

ermey-weapon.jpg

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been to that store several times, especially when we camp at Burdette Park. I always CC there, haven't OC'd yet. It usually takes an eternity to find someone to help buy ammo or look at rifles.
    easy solution for finding help...pick up the phone and call 0 and tell the operator you need help with ammo.Always works in Franklin any how.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    easy solution for finding help...pick up the phone and call 0 and tell the operator you need help with ammo.Always works in Franklin any how.

That's what I do. I've received a variety of reactions, too. The most common is surprise that a customer had the initiative to do it. Second most common is a simple "I'll send someone now" type of response. A couple of times, the person on the other end of the line (coincidentally management types each time) got pissy with me because I dared use their internal communication system. How DARE I! :rolleyes:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Indeed, how DARE you, Rhino!:rolleyes:

Nice, Kingrat.:yesway:

Makes it seem safe and acceptable to do so in the future even lacking "dubious motive.":):

cox7215

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Kokomo, IN
    It is a ATF thing, it happend to me when I was home last, bought a gun at Dunhams in Kokomo and the Mgr. called and asked me to come back in and change E. 3rd St to East 3rd Street.......

Top Bottom