• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have been working on this rifle project for far too long. I have a distinct like of compact rifles and wanted to build a Cowboy Assault Rifle or Politically Correct Urban Defense Rifle. Whatever you call it, I am very happy with how it turned out.

The rifle started life as a Marlin 336 waffle top .30-30 manufactured in 1949. I picked it up at an auction 10-15 years ago. The wood was average, mechanically excellent with a very smooth lever action and crisp light trigger, but the finish was very worn. No pitting or rust, just little of the original blue left. First thing I had done was have the barrel cut back to 16.5" and the stock shortened about 1½". This was easy as the five shot tube was the older version which was not full length. I then shipped it off to Birdsong in Arkansas where it was coated in Birdsong Teflon Green with black accents. Excellent indestructible finish.

It sat for a long time and I finally had the receiver drilled and tapped and added Skinner winged tactical sights - blade front, peep rear. Shot it briefly a couple weeks ago at the 100 yard gong and the iron sights were right on. At least right on for an 18" gong offhand. Eventually I settled on a Burris Fastfire III in a winged mount for a dot sight. As the pic shows, no chance of co-witness but the irons are useable if you pop off the fastfire QD mount.

Made it to the range this weekend and this thing is awesome. First pulled the bolt (love the 336 for that) and did a little Kentucky bore sighting. Got the dot roughly on center of the target at 25 yards then fired two shots. Holes were touching at an inch high and a couple inched right. Some adjustment and fired another two. They also were touching and just off center. Moved the target out to 50 yards and fired three rounds. Group opened up to about 3/4" and again just off the center mark. Left it there to finish up at 100 yards another day.

I always liked the concept of a "tactical" lever gun and this project has proofed that for me. Very comfortable to shoot, compact as all get out and a useful, flexible caliber. If Indiana ever allows this caliber for deer season it will see some woods action. For now this will serve as a great take along rifle for woods, truck or travel gun or whenever I want something more than a pistol but don’t need an AK.

Only things left to do are possibly painting the wood with bed liner for a black, textured finish and definitely attaching a cartridge pouch to the stock for 12 extra rounds.

Last edited:

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    I like it...actually I love it! Great gun to throw in a scabbard on the jeep, quad, horse, whatever just like you said. Well done sir.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    very cool. now to suppress it?!?!

I forgot to add, when I had the front sight installed I had it set back so I could thread the barrel in the future. :cool:

It really is a blast to shoot. I should say, one of the main drivers of the project was a $1,000 gift card I was given to Gander Mtn. This was back when they had gunsmith services. Since I didn't shop at Gander much and their prices are high, I used it to cover most of the work including them sending it to Birdsong. Otherwise I would have cerakoted it. Birdsong did a great job including pulling and coating the bolt, trigger, loading door and all the screws and pins in black Teflon. Weirdly, in most light the green looks almost coyote.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Dang you, I have this old 336 Glenfield...now you've given me yet another way to spend $$$. Looks really good!

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I have a carbine 1894 in 44magnum. It holds 9+1 or 10+1...I forget. Skinner serrated front blade with a rear ghost ring sight. It's fast and a lot of fun to shoot. You can work the bolt and blast away for a while, without having to reload, at urban predators should the need arise. Using 265gr cast boolits with a wide meplat...but not too wide that it doesn't feed smoothly. One of my favorites. Very similar to your concept. I see the need for one of these in everyone's arsenal.

I believe that when you make it to the pearly gates that God will have some strong words for you for putting a red dot sight on a lever gun. Just my opinion. Having said that...it's a SWEET rifle. Very cool. A beat-up old levergun is a neat project for anyone to take on...so many options.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    Well done, if it were mine I would leave the wood as is. Also have to agree with youngda9 about the red dot sight.
    I think I would remove it and use the irons. Just my opinion FWIW, I still think it is very cool, again well done!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I always liked the concept of a "tactical" lever gun and this project has proofed that for me.

Me too. I've taken them to Arizona, Texas and Alabama for gun school. They fall apart (they are too fragile for hard use) so bring 2 if not more.

NOTE: among the first "police carbines" were Winchester M94s issued to the San Fransico PD just prior to 1900.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It's a heck of a lot better looking than a Mossberg 464 SPX

41026-catalog.jpg

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Odds are I will probably leave the wood as is. It is a pleasure to shoot and, at least for now, I don't see the need for additional traction. As for the red dot, it serves incredibly well. The peep sight is fast but the dot is speed itself. I also like the idea of having eyes open and focused at the target, not the front sight, given the impending urban warfare this will see. I also don't see a difference between this and putting a dot on a bolt gun, browning inspired semi-auto or any other firearm. I ain't shooting CAS with it after all.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    You know, the most surprising thing for me was how accurate this was. Shooting Hornaday Leverevolution 160 gr ammo and getting 3/4" groups at 50 yds with nothing but a range bag and rolled up coat as a rest speaks to the quality of 66 year old craftsmanship.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    That's pretty cool! Really makes me sorry I had to sell my 336 years ago. Might be a reason to pick up another one sometime.

I kinda want to pick up a stock one to partner with it. The irony is right after I started the project, getting the barrel and stock shortened, Marlin started making the youth model again. Would have saved me some time and money.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Really cool looking and very good shooting too. I know this project has meant a lot to you and am happy for you to see it has turned out so well! :yesway::yesway:

Top Bottom