• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Just wanted to share this, though some will certainly not agree with my post..

I always go to the 1500 for many reasons. Deal shopping, pick up something I need, look at all the toys, etc.

I went today looking for a gun belt, a specific holster, and an M&P compact 9.

I always go to Bob (Plainfield Shooting Supplies) first, because as a general rule, no one touches his prices at the 1500 for 'plastic' guns.

I was looking for the M&P without the safety, and not one vendor had one, including Bob, with the exception of Fort Liberty. Obviously as a consumer, I wanted to ask if they'd match Bob's price, which was $20 less than he was asking ($489).

So I asked "Can you do it for $20 less?

Man replied "Hell no. I've got $449 in it."

I mentioned that Bob was selling his M&P's for $469

The response I got was "If that's the case, then you should be at his table buying from him."

Maybe I rubbed him the wrong way by asking him to match Bob's price. I get it. What's the point of pricing your guns if everyone wants a better deal than you have marked?

But here in the real world, consumers want the best deal possible. That's been the case since the beginning of time. No offense to Fort Liberty trying to make a buck, but this response not only led me to walk down the aisle and buy one WITH a thumb safety from Bob, it compelled me to come here and divulge what I perceived as a crappy way of doing business. Crappy meaning there's a right way and a wrong way to reply to customers. When you're trying to make a living as a business in a crappy economy, this is a fatal error.

I'm just one guy. I'm sure he'll sell it for what he wants. But this is one customer gone - for life.

In the end, the lesson for me is to stick with what you know and like. Bob has always been great to me and my wife, and will always get my business.

/rant

All in all, it was a great trip to the 1500. I got what I went for, enjoyed looking at everything, and my belief of showing loyalty to those who treat you right was confirmed.

Again, some might not like this post. But if someone takes it to heart, my time wasn't wasted by positing this.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I would have paid the $20 and got the pistol I wanted, I can't deal with safeties on striker fired guns. I've tried it and hated it every time. After all, it's only $20 we're talking about here. :D

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Don't blame you one bit. That's no way to respond to a customer. All he had to say was a simple no, this is my lowest price I will take. After that comment I would not buy from them if they turned around and offered it for 10.00 less than another shop. Customer service means alot to me and I don't put up with rude comments from people where I could be spending my money. Not the first I have heard about rudeness from this shop. Never been there nor do I intend to go based on this post or others like it.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I would have paid the $20 and got the pistol I wanted, I can't deal with safeties on striker fired guns. I've tried it and hated it every time. After all, it's only $20 we're talking about here. :D

I would normally agree. I pondered it hard, but principal overruled desire. And since this isn't a carry piece for me, the safety is a non-issue at the range ;)

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    I get your point, a simple "sorry I can't do that" would have been suffice. But I'm sure they get that ALOT! But you have to also remember that some people cannot buy it for what certain dealers can, so they cannot sell it for what certain dealers can...

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    I understand where you are coming from but,

I've worked both sides of the table at the 1500 and people treat it like a flea market or garage sale. It can get old really fast when people are trying to get you to lower your price all day. The mark up on firearms is not that great and in the long run you'll spend more that $20 on ammo your first range trip. I understand being a bit upset and he should have been a little friendlier but there are always two sides to every story.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I certainly understand your aversion to what seems like a very terse response. However I can see their point, as they had the no-safety version and PSS apparently didn't, even if their price was slightly higher. Its supply and demand-- they have the right to demand a higher price for a more desirable gun. Also keep in mind that profit margins on handguns are about nil, and competition is fierce.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've worked both sides of the table at the 1500 and people treat it like a flea market or garage sale. It can get old really fast when people are trying to get you to lower your price all day. The mark up on firearms is not that great and in the long run you'll spend more that $20 on ammo your first range trip. I understand being a bit upset and he should have been a little friendlier but there are always two sides to every story.
    I understand that it's not a flea market, but there is no excuse for being rude to a (potential repeat) customer. That's not good business.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    I certainly understand your aversion to what seems like a very terse response. However I can see their point, as they had the no-safety version and PSS apparently didn't, even if their price was slightly higher. Its supply and demand-- they have the right to demand a higher price for a more desirable gun. Also keep in mind that profit margins on handguns are about nil, and competition is fierce.

I generally agree with supply and demand, but this wasn't a legit supply and demand case, as I bought the one with the safety anyway. I had merely mentioned to him that Bob was selling ALL his M&P's for $469(9mm and .40 anyway - didn't look at the .45's). Not to mention this is a mass-made gun, and could likely be ordered and received within a few days. There is certainly not a shortage of M&P's, judging by this particular show ;)

And with all due respect, they merely had the right to ask for a higher price. That gun wasn't worth $20 more to me, considering its use and the service I received. In this particular case, the laws of supply and demand did not work. Ultimately, they might, as I'm sure someone will buy it...

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Bob always has good prices, and I have yet to find something he is selling undercut by anyone else at the 1500.

Not being there for the conversation, it is difficult to guess on the tone of your conversation with Ft. Liberty. Possibly your comment about PSS being cheaper rubbed him the wrong way, and you get what you got. Either way, $20 isnt that much in the big picture of the price of a gun. It kinda seems that the feature wasnt that important to you if you went back to PSS and bought the one with features you were not looking for.

I find that when looking to bargain a little at the 1500, it is best to not go the first day and buy. Saturdays are better, Sundays are usually the best. I bought a case of 7.62x39 one year on a sunday for $1.50 less/box than anyone else was selling for by telling the guy he could take the offer or have to pack it all back into the truck.

Fridays at the 1500 are for finding the stuff you have a difficult time finding, and maybe having to spend a little more. Sundays are the time for bargaining.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    In this particular case, the laws of supply and demand did not work.

Oh sure they did. Either someone else will be along to pay the higher price because they preferred the more desirable configuration, or it will not sell and Ft. Liberty will be forced into selling it for less money.

Of course none of that factors into how you felt as a customer. That's a huge piece of the puzzle. :yesway:

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Not being there for the conversation, it is difficult to guess on the tone of your conversation with Ft. Liberty. Possibly your comment about PSS being cheaper rubbed him the wrong way, and you get what you got. Either way, $20 isnt that much in the big picture of the price of a gun. It kinda seems that the feature wasnt that important to you if you went back to PSS and bought the one with features you were not looking for.

This. Exactly.

To your point, I guess ultimately what I was looking for was the gun itself, as the safety was more a preference, not a deal breaker. ultimately, I'd still rather have it without the safety, but considering everything involved, I made the right choice with no regrets (aside from not telling the man he dropped the ball big time with his response).

Again, like I mentioned in the OP, it's very possible that by simply asking for the lower price I rubbed him the wrong way. But this isn't personal - it's a business deal, and when you're in business to make money, you gotta set aside your feelings and get down to business.

In the grand scheme of things, considering what I have and will continue to purchase, he lost a lot more than $20 on this one sale. He lost my future business and anyone else I might persuade as well.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I was looking for the M&P without the safety, and not one vendor had one, including Bob, with the exception of Fort Liberty. Obviously as a consumer, I wanted to ask if they'd match Bob's price, which was $20 less than he was asking ($489).

So I asked "Can you do it for $20 less?

Man replied "Hell no. I've got $449 in it."

I mentioned that Bob was selling his M&P's for $469

The response I got was "If that's the case, then you should be at his table buying from him."

Not defending him, but here's a couple things to look at, Bob may have been selling his M&P's for 469.00, but he was not selling that one because he did not have it to sell.

Second thing was coming right out and saying Bob's selling his for 469.00, again, Bob did'nt have to sell.

I consider it a pure insult to come right out and tell a man that I can buy it for x dollars across the isle, you should have just say thanks and bought it where you could have for cheaper. But then again you couldn't because Fort Liberty was the only one who had one.

But all in all, this was a fail on both your part and Fort Liberty, you should have just nodded thanks and moved on, or bought what you wanted.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    But all in all, this was a fail on both your part and Fort Liberty, you should have just nodded thanks and moved on, or bought what you wanted.

As a business owner myself, I appreciate knowing my competition's prices. It was my belief that he might as well. Clearly I was incorrect, but I gave him the opportunity to earn my business.

Again, this is simple business. You either want to make money or you don't. He wanted to hold out for $40 profit vs. a guaranteed $20 right then and there. Maybe he'll get his $40, but at what cost? He lost $20 from me today, and who knows how much later on down the road?

It goes back to the way you talk to people. "The customer is always right" (even when they're wrong) and "perception is reality."

I venture to guess this lack of communication skills cost this particular business well more than the $40 profit he was seeking.

He might gain a customer by selling it for his asking price. But we KNOW he lost a customer - this is fact. The rest is mere speculation.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm confused, I thought you said Bob did not have one. Were there two vendors with the gun you wanted? If so, why offer to buy from a more expensive person than Bob and ask them to match? If only the second guy had one, then clearly bob was NOT selling it for $20 less and you gave false info in order to get a better deal.

I think the guy responded to you fine. Why would you leave one table and ask someone you don't know to pricematch for a single item?
    Maybe I'm missing something?

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Not defending him, but here's a couple things to look at, Bob may have been selling his M&P's for 469.00, but he was not selling that one because he did not have it to sell.

Second thing was coming right out and saying Bob's selling his for 469.00, again, Bob did'nt have to sell.

I consider it a pure insult to come right out and tell a man that I can buy it for x dollars across the isle, you should have just say thanks and bought it where you could have for cheaper. But then again you couldn't because Fort Liberty was the only one who had one.

i dont see how it is insulting to mention another dealer's price. Most stores in any industry WANT you to do that so they can remain competitive. There are some gun stores that cannot match internet/wholesalers. I get that. But you're talking about a vendor that is relatively close to your own store.

And if you get insulted by something as simple as that, then find another job instead of being a dick and making a scene. Haggling is part of the game and for some reason a lot places seem to think they dont need CS skills. Those people lose a lot of money everyday; they just don't know it.

cavemike

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    The OP bought something he did not want for &20.00 less than something he did want.After finding out that the only person that did have something he wanted couldn't match the price for something the thing he wanted.

And he is *****ing about buying something he didn't want for $20.00 less on a $470.00
    gun?

Mike

Top Bottom