• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Last week, I was pulled over on I-65 at the 26 exit in Lafayette, for "following too close."

The state trooper comes up to the passenger side, looks inside my windows (more than just a peek), and asks for my license and registration. While getting my license out, I inform him that I have a gun under my seat and I.... "Do you have a handgun license?" "Yes, sir, I was about to tell you that as well." He then says "Just get out of the car, don't worry about the registration." I conform.

He brings me to the front of his car, demanding I put my hands behind my back and he proceeds to pat me down. Next, we're off to his car, and he puts me in the front seat with him.

Now is when I get my entire life scrutinized.

I have a Florida drivers license, Florida plates on my car, and an Indiana LTCH, as I live in both Indiana AND Florida, 6 months each. This is both legal, legit and not up for scrutiny.

He runs me through the state system, and NCIC as well, and has dispatch run the history of my driver's license, as to when I surrendered what license to what state upon moving into another, for my entire adult driving life.

He asks me how I got my LTCH, to which I politely replied, "Honestly, I don't know the specifics of the laws and loopholes and what qualifies who for what, but my sheriff and your Firearms Superintendent were both involved and the decision was made that I am legal to possess a LTCH in this state. My guess is that since I live here half the year and own a business here, that qualifies me, but this would be a better question for the brass within YOUR department. Obviously I passed your state as well as your department's background check requirements"

Now, we just bought a new house in October, to which we moved into at the beginning of December. I haven't updated my address change with the firearms division yet. Not happy that my current address doesn't match what is listed on the LTCH, he then proceeds to ask dispatch for the "TX to Legal."

This guy actually had the balls to call one of the state's attorneys with me sitting there to validate the legality of my possessing a firearm, as well as whether or not I am legit to hold a LTCH.

Of course, the attorney basically told him in as many words, "you're wasting your time, he's legit and legal" but he was not satisfied. He then proceeds to ask if I am still legal since my address doesn't match what's listed on the LTCH. Once again "it's a non-issue, stop wasting this guy's time"

If you haven't changed your address with the firearms division, here's a nugget of info. They don't have to send you a new LTCH with the correct address. According to the LTCH, you don't have to do anything but notify the state police within 60 days of address change. I have since faxed in my address change, but am not required to pay the fee (according to the state form) to get a new LTCH with the correct address.

I mention this because the trooper never once validated with dispatch what address they have listed on my LTCH. He just assumed that since my LTCH said one address, I was 'breaking the law' by it not being my current address. Nevermind that I might not have changed addresses til yesterday (thus not being required to even notify ISP yet).

Once the trooper hung up with the attorney, he says to me "well, you're going to jail today." I had been stewing on this whole BS situation now for 30 minutes, and this kinda set me off. "WTF are you talking about? WTF for?" He replies, "basically, you're not allowed to carry... Nah, I'm just kidding" My reply was "Not F-ing funny"

Now he turns cool and says "I appreciate the honesty up front about the weapon, so I'm just going to give you a warning" He prints it out, informs me that he typed all my information and conversation into the system and it is being forwarded to the firearms division for further review of my LTCH"

After pondering the whole thing for 24 hours, I got extremely PO'd about the whole thing. I have since contacted his and another supervisor with ISP, my sheriff (who has confirmed with the Superintendent that I will NOT be in any trouble, and that my LTCH will remain valid because I am a legal citizen, eligible to possess an Indiana LTCH).

I was never worried about whether or not I would lose my LTCH. But I definitely don't ever want this to happen again. I have told both supervisors that "this is EXACTLY why people don't inform your officers they have legally possessed firearms in their vehicles. Had I kept my mouth shut, I would have gotten a ticket or warning and been on my way in 7-8 minutes. I informed the officer of the firearm for 2 reasons. One is because regardless of what the law says, I think it's the right thing to do, but mainly, for my own safety, because I don't want him finding it, pointing his Glock into my ear and getting an itch on his booger hook. Just as police don't trust us regular citizens, we don't trust all of you, either."

I got nowhere with his supervisor, other than apologies for his poor choice in humor.

All in all, I learned ONE lesson in that traffic stop, and it wasn't that I shouldn't follow too close on the interstate.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    I'm sorry you had a terrible encounter with an extremely over-zealous and ****-poor-comedian excuse for a cop. Even when there are things that NEED to be verified and result in keeping someone for any length of time, I explain the situation but never joke about taking someone to jail. I would hate to take a bullet because of a bad joke. I do not hold people over things such as LTCH's but I have before for warrants (usually out of county or state that requires a call for extradition purposes) as well as other watch lists that need to be verified. Please don't become a hater because of one incident, the vast majority of us are just trying our best to do our jobs as we are expected to do with the resources we are provided. I'd be more than happy to invite you to a ride-along if you send me a PM requesting one.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    Last week, I was pulled over on I-65 at the 26 exit in Lafayette, for "following too close."

The state trooper comes up to the passenger side, looks inside my windows (more than just a peek), and asks for my license and registration. While getting my license out, I inform him that I have a gun under my seat and I.... "Do you have a handgun license?" "Yes, sir, I was about to tell you that as well." He then says "Just get out of the car, don't worry about the registration." I conform.

He brings me to the front of his car, demanding I put my hands behind my back and he proceeds to pat me down. Next, we're off to his car, and he puts me in the front seat with him.

I have a Florida drivers license, Florida plates on my car, and an Indiana LTCH, as I live in both Indiana AND Florida, 6 months each. This is both legal, legit and not up for scrutiny.

He runs me through the state system, and NCIC as well, and has dispatch run the history of my driver's license, as to when I surrendered what license to what state upon moving into another, for my entire adult driving life.

He asks me how I got my LTCH, to which I politely replied, "Honestly, I don't know the specifics of the laws and loopholes and what qualifies who for what, but my sheriff and your Firearms Superintendent were both involved and the decision was made that I am legal to possess a LTCH in this state. My guess is that since I live here half the year and own a business here, that qualifies me, but this would be a better question for the brass within YOUR department. Obviously I passed your state as well as your department's background check requirements"

Now, we just bought a new house in October, to which we moved into at the beginning of December. I haven't updated my address change with the firearms division yet. Not happy that my current address doesn't match what is listed on the LTCH, he then proceeds to ask dispatch for the "TX to Legal."

This guy actually had the balls to call one of the state's attorneys with me sitting there to validate the legality of my possessing a firearm, as well as whether or not I am legit to hold a LTCH.

Of course, the attorney basically told him in as many words, "you're wasting your time, he's legit and legal" but he was not satisfied. He then proceeds to ask if I am still legal since my address doesn't match what's listed on the LTCH. Once again "it's a non-issue, stop wasting this guy's time"

If you haven't changed your address with the firearms division, here's a nugget of info. They don't have to send you a new LTCH with the correct address. According to the LTCH, you don't have to do anything but notify the state police within 60 days of address change. I have since faxed in my address change, but am not required to pay the fee (according to the state form) to get a new LTCH with the correct address.

I mention this because the trooper never once validated with dispatch what address they have listed on my LTCH. He just assumed that since my LTCH said one address, I was 'breaking the law' by it not being my current address. Nevermind that I might not have changed addresses til yesterday (thus not being required to even notify ISP yet).

Once the trooper hung up with the attorney, he says to me "well, you're going to jail today." I had been stewing on this whole BS situation now for 30 minutes, and this kinda set me off. "WTF are you talking about? WTF for?" He replies, "basically, you're not allowed to carry... Nah, I'm just kidding" My reply was "Not F-ing funny"

Now he turns cool and says "I appreciate the honesty up front about the weapon, so I'm just going to give you a warning" He prints it out, informs me that he typed all my information and conversation into the system and it is being forwarded to the firearms division for further review of my LTCH"

After pondering the whole thing for 24 hours, I got extremely PO'd about the whole thing. I have since contacted his and another supervisor with ISP, my sheriff (who has confirmed with the Superintendent that I will NOT be in any trouble, and that my LTCH will remain valid because I am a legal citizen, eligible to possess an Indiana LTCH).

I was never worried about whether or not I would lose my LTCH. But I definitely don't ever want this to happen again. I have told both supervisors that "this is EXACTLY why people don't inform your officers they have legally possessed firearms in their vehicles. Had I kept my mouth shut, I would have gotten a ticket or warning and been on my way in 7-8 minutes. I informed the officer of the firearm for 2 reasons. One is because regardless of what the law says, I think it's the right thing to do, but mainly, for my own safety, because I don't want him finding it, pointing his Glock into my ear and getting an itch on his booger hook. Just as police don't trust us regular citizens, we don't trust all of you, either."

I got nowhere with his supervisor, other than apologies for his poor choice in humor.

All in all, I learned ONE lesson in that traffic stop, and it wasn't that I shouldn't follow too close on the interstate.

Thoughts?
    Typical, once he could not hang you on anything, the humor comes out because he is embarrased. If he would have just acted like a human being and treated you like one, everything would have been smooth sailing. Look officers, if someone meant to harm you with a gun, they would NOT tell you about it up front. When you try to register a complaint it falls on deaf ears because of this thin blue line bull****. I know a couple of cops that are good people but they are the RARE exception. I would suggest using a recorder next time and consulting a lawyer with the recording, then see if he still has a sense of humor when the check gets cut to you.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Gun control in action.

Desperately trying to take you to jail over an address not matching? Freedom-haters like him will gladly confiscate our weapons if ordered to.

I'm sure you will handle it differently next time when it comes to giving away information that will be used to crucify you.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    This is exactly why I don't inform any officers I am carrying. In fact, this is why I steer clear of leo's if at all possible. I can't say that I have personally encounter any really bad cops. I have just had way too many situations where I was minding my own business doing nothing that I could see anyone realistically viewing as suspicious and hassled by overzealous, accusatory cops. I've had good experiences as well but I'm leery for the bad ones.

To the OP, I will second the suggestion to carry a small digital recorder on your person and record ALL encounters with leo's. In a situation like this it will make it much easier to keep the pressure on if you file a complaint and even to the point that you feel a lawsuit is necessary. Out of curiosity, did you change your opinion on informing leo's of firearms in your possession during a traffic stop?

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Gun control in action.

Desperately trying to take you to jail over an address not matching? Freedom-haters like him will gladly confiscate our weapons if ordered to.

I'm sure you will handle it differently next time when it comes to giving away information that will be used to crucify you.

:tinfoil:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm sorry if this post is out of place, but can anyone tell us if it is legal to audio or video tape a l.e.o without telling him? Also, must you tell him about your concealed weapon? I would not volunteer any info. aAbout my gun unless he was going to search me or my vehicle.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn

GeneralCarver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Yeah. I think its just better to not inform them. I mean, its not like your going to get shot if you have a firearm. They may cuff or detain you, pat you down etc. Its not going to kill you if that happens. Police are turning into policy enforcers. They are like vultures which are looking for any little violation or broken code or law which they can use against you. They are not your friend. They may be good people, individually, but their job in changing in this country.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Yeah. I think its just better to not inform them. I mean, its not like your going to get shot if you have a firearm. They may cuff or detain you, pat you down etc. Its not going to kill you if that happens. Police are turning into policy enforcers. They are like vultures which are looking for any little violation or broken code or law which they can use against you. They are not your friend. They may be good people, individually, but their job in changing in this country.
    More :tinfoil:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    This is why, although in the past I would inform officers that I was carrying, I no longer do. It just wastes both of our time.

I will spare you my story, as it is pretty much the same... however without the comic relief.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I agree with whats been said. I used to disclose. Same experience. I have even been asked if I have any illegal drugs or weapons and the answer is NO SIR.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Im surprised that he didnt run the serial number of your gun to see if it was stolen!
    It looks like he doesnt like non-LEOs to be armed and tried his best to find a reason to take you to jail.

Like I read in other posts, I always thought that the best thing to do when stopped by the police was to tell the officer out front that you had a gun on you.
    I now think that its best to keep it to yourself.Another good reason to CC I guess.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010

All in all, I learned ONE lesson in that traffic stop, and it wasn't that I
    shouldn't follow too close on the interstate.

Thoughts?

Informing the leo is "the right thing to do"??? The right thing for who? Why is that morally superior over keeping your mouth shut?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Informing the leo is "the right thing to do"??? The right thing for who? Why is that morally superior over keeping your mouth shut?

What part of him saying "I THINK it's the right thing to do" don't you understand?

The "I" part, signifying him alone, or the "think" part, meaning his opinion?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I'm sorry you had a terrible encounter with an extremely over-zealous and ****-poor-comedian excuse for a cop. Even when there are things that NEED to be verified and result in keeping someone for any length of time, I explain the situation but never joke about taking someone to jail. I would hate to take a bullet because of a bad joke. I do not hold people over things such as LTCH's but I have before for warrants (usually out of county or state that requires a call for extradition purposes) as well as other watch lists that need to be verified. Please don't become a hater because of one incident, the vast majority of us are just trying our best to do our jobs as we are expected to do with the resources we are provided. I'd be more than happy to invite you to a ride-along if you send me a PM requesting one.
    Yeah, but does he get to take his firearm?

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I really don't see the up-side anymore to informing if you aren't required by law. Especially with cops like this one around that will do everything in their power, including calling the state's attourney with you in the vehicle(WTF).

Would this be considered being illegally detained? Can he just lock you in the back like that while he tries to drum up charges with the St. Atty?

I wonder if you'd said "am I being detained" and "am I free to go" if it would have changed anything...either he would have got going writing a ticket, or any further waste of your time locked in the back of his car would be "detainment". I'm clearly not a lawyer.

Top Bottom