My Encounter with Border Patrol: aka "Does I'd like to talk to a Lawyer really work?"

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    If they thought they needed to search me,my car or my home I don't care. They won't find one single illegal thing on or in any of the above. I follow the law and have no worry's of incriminating myself. I am not hiding from anyone and I am not hiding anything. Guess I must be in the minority here. Must suck looking over your shoulders all the time and freaking out every time you see a police car or a LEO. Holy Cow!!:n00b:

I think the argument here is a persons GOD given rights, also spelled out in The Constitution of The United States.
    It doesn't matter if you have anything to hide or if you are doing anything illegal!
    A gov't official is limited by law and The Constitution, to what he can legally
    do!
    It seems by your statements above, you don't think anything bad could come from just doing what your told, and let the officer do what he wants! That's fine, let them frisk your Wife and children (if you have them)! Let them come into your home and take inventory to make sure you don't have anything that you shouldn't have! Let them take all your rights, if you want, but leave mine alone!

Others have stated that you are a police officer, if so, you would have taken
    the Oath when you were sworn in. Not knowing you, I don't judge you! But from the few comments I have read from you, it seems like you have a twisted idea that your opinions and beliefs are the only "right" ones, and that everybody else should behave the way you would dictate!
    Well, newsflash.... This is still the UNITED STATES of AMERICA!!! Like it or not!
    True Americans will stand up for their( and your) rights and freedoms!

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Yea that is kinda broad isn't it? I would answer any question asked of me during a traffic stop,check point or whatever. My main point is I will not sit there and sound like a parrot about not answering basic questions without a lawyer present. Silly IMO.

"ANY" question???? Are you kidding me? Earlier I believe you said any legal question.
    That's the point... You are only required to answer certain questions! What is the point in doing any more than that?

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    So our rights apply to citizens in other countries?

jbombelli's response pretty much says it. Natural Rights belong to ALL people, not only US citizens. Here in the US, we just required our government to protect them.

Do armed invaders have the same "rights" as US citizens?

Well as a matter of fact... sort of. They are human beings also. They have by nature of their birth into the human race rights such as life, liberty, privacy, thought, expression, beliefs, worship or not, etc.

The fact that they are armed aggressors changes the rules, however. They did NOT have the right to be an aggressor, and in doing so, trampled on the rights of those they invaded, opening them to counter-attack.

If a non-US citizen is walking down the street minding his own business, you do not have the right to shoot him. He has a right to life, and you do not have a right to deprive him of that. If anyone-US citizen or not- attempts to deprive YOU of your right to life, liberty, property, etc. you have the right to defend yourself even if it means taking his life.

So, how can he have a right to life and you also have the right to take it?

There is actually a theory called "moral forfeiture" that says by violating another's right to life or sphere of autonomy, an aggressor forfeits his own right to life or autonomy. So, your armed agressors had all the same rights you did, but when they became aggressors, the rules changed. That is how our legal system can justify prisons, death penalties, etc.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    no matter how universal the rights we have are. im not shedding one tear or drop of blood or giving .50 cents to establish those rights for a non U.S. Citizen. they can go back to their own countries and fight for it on their own.
    I have no problem seeing an illegal come here and getting their face stomped into the ground. as soon as its found out they were an illegal, all paperwork should be stopped.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    no matter how universal the rights we have are. im not shedding one tear or drop of blood or giving .50 cents to establish those rights for a non U.S. Citizen. they can go back to their own countries and fight for it on their own.

You don't have to :) But thousands of American soldiers have done just that-- in places like Viet Nam, Korea, Europe, and now the Middle East. What do you think we are doing when we run around the world trying to forcefully spread democracy?

I have no problem seeing an illegal come here and getting their face stomped into the ground. as soon as its found out they were an illegal, all paperwork should be stopped.

I'm also not suggesting that natural rights are the same as legal rights. They have no legal right to be here, and they have no legal right to stay here. But they do have the natural right (and, I'm pretty sure the legal right as well) not to have their face stomped into the ground. According to the theory of moral forfeiture, when you start stomping, you forfeit your right not to be stomped right back.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson

Man you have to come to terms with this inner anger you have.:D I know you and I don't think you would stand by and watch them get stomped. I have made mistakes before but I doubt I am wrong about this. I think you are mad at the government not the illegal aliens. Most just want the same things we want.

Lets give all illegal aliens amensty on our terms.

1 learn english
    2 learn the constitution/country history (mandatory appleseed)
    3 Get real SSN, job, pay taxes, vote and enjoy our way of life as allies.

This will bring our country back to the great republic it can be. If anyone believes in the same rights as I do I want them on my side. :twocents:

Last edited:

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    While they are in this country? Yes. Absolutely.

While they are in their home country? They should be but we have no control over the Rights their governments infringe on. So the correct answer is: It depends.

Really? That's a serious question? :rolleyes:

Sure is!

Where do you draw the line?

Armed invaders , unarmed?

If they have Depends on or not?

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    They're not "our" rights. They're held universally by all people. Our Constitution and Bill of Rights simply recognize them. THESE DOCUMENTS DO NOT GRANT THEM. We simply recognize and honor them here (although that's pretty questionable itself these days).

If other governments infringe upon those rights, then it falls upon those people to remedy the situation. That is something we cannot control. Although admittedly we often end up stomping around in other countries in order to help those people recover those rights.

Armed invaders are committing an act of war and violating the sovereignty of another nation, as well as the rights of the people therein. They do NOT have the right to do THAT.

Perhaps you can show us all where the Constitution or Bill of Rights limits the definition of the term "people" to mean only citizens of this country.

So 2nd admin. does not apply to Jaun crossing the RioGrande?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Do illegals get read their Miranda rights if they are arrested? Seems the government realizes they have rights even if you don't.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Terry, from CheckPoint USA knows how to deal with the Border Patrol. He's had many run ins with them and even had the courts back him up. This is how you deal with a suspicionless checkpoint run many miles from the US border. OP did a good job, but he could do better, next time. Terry has many videos of his interaction with these goons, all available on his YouTube channel.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/CheckpointUSA#p/a/u/0/DDLlEh0x2XA[/ame]

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    You don't have to :) But thousands of American soldiers have done just that-- in places like Viet Nam, Korea, Europe, and now the Middle East. What do you think we are doing when we run around the world trying to forcefully spread democracy?

I'm also not suggesting that natural rights are the same as legal rights. They have no legal right to be here, and they have no legal right to stay here. But they do have the natural right (and, I'm pretty sure the legal right as well) not to have their face stomped into the ground. According to the theory of moral forfeiture, when you start stomping, you forfeit your right not to be stomped right back.

By your definition of moral forfeiture, if a police officer is shooting at a criminal, that gives the criminal the "right" to shoot back???

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Man you have to come to terms with this inner anger you have.:D I know you and I don't think you would stand by and watch them get stomped. I have made mistakes before but I doubt I am wrong about this. I think you are mad at the government not the illegal aliens. Most just want the same things we want.

Lets give all illegal aliens amensty on our terms.

1 learn english
    2 learn the constitution/country history (mandatory appleseed)
    3 Get real SSN, job, pay taxes, vote and enjoy our way of life as allies.

This will bring our contry back to the great republic it can be. If anyone believes in the same rights as I do I want them on my side. :twocents:

My idea of "amnesty" = go back voluntarily to the country you are a citizen of,stay there for a set time, then come to the border, fill out the required paperwork, enter on a temporary visa, get a job, pay taxes, and also pay a steep fine for entering illegally in the first place, then after a set time, with no additional criminal behavior, be able to " apply" to become a citizen.
    No free pass, they entered the country illegally, they are criminals, they should pay, just like any other criminal.
    I also believe that children born to illegals should not automatically be a citizen, but should have to go back with their parents!

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    By your definition of moral forfeiture, if a police officer is shooting at a criminal, that gives the criminal the "right" to shoot back???

Never thought about this. But I would assume that if a LEO is shooting at a criminal, it is because he is committing an illegal act of aggression, so your question doesn't really apply. It is the criminal who forfeited his right not to be shot at. However, change the question - if some rogue evil LEO (we hear so much about these creatures here on INGO one would think they are on every street corner) starts for no reason shooting at you, a good guy just walking down the street, having not committed any acts of aggression or broken any laws, then yes. I believe you would have the right to defend yourself and I would think a jury of your peers would agree. (Edited to add-- I have to remind us both though that there is a difference between natural and legal rights. Moral forfeiture addresses natural rights, not legal ones.)

And BTW-- It's not my definition. I'm not that smart :)

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    My idea of "amnesty" = go back voluntarily to the country you are a citizen of,stay there for a set time, then come to the border, fill out the required paperwork, enter on a temporary visa, get a job, pay taxes, and also pay a steep fine for entering illegally in the first place, then after a set time, with no additional criminal behavior, be able to " apply" to become a citizen.
    No free pass, they entered the country illegally, they are criminals, they should pay, just like any other criminal.
    I also believe that children born to illegals should not automatically be a citizen, but should have to go back with their parents!

Well good luck with that. I am just trying to be realistic, you know damn well we are not going to go round up all the illegals and kick them out. The logistics invloved alone makes any arguement for that a moot point. Just how do you propose to identify them so you can make them leave?
    You going to show your papers on command?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Well good luck with that. I am just trying to be realistic, you know damn well we are not going to go round up all the illegals and kick them out. The logistics invloved alone makes any arguement for that a moot point. Just how do you propose to identify them so you can make them leave?
    You going to show your papers on command?

Go back and read my post. I said, " leave voluntarily".
    Don't go voluntarily, wait till you are arrested for something else or are found to be here illegally, then deportation with no chance to come back... Your choice!
    And I do show my papers...my drivers license and auto or m.c. Registration on command when I get stopped by the police. I think that identifies me to the officer doesn't it?
    If you cant produce a valid license and registration, then the officer should be allowed to find out who you are and if you are a citizen of this country.
    I do believe they should have a reason to pull you over.
    And I don't think it is hard to "round them up" ......when we start loading up busloads of illegals, give them a peanut butter sandwich, a bottle of water, and a ride to the other side of the border,and they can not re-enter(yes, it is very possible to build barriers and fences that can keep them out if we want to.) others would start to figure out that it's better to go voluntarily and be able to re-enter and be able to achieve the Mexican Dream. Those who don't, some of course may be able to fly under the radar and live here for the rest of their lives, some will commit crimes, be caught, serve out their sentence, then be deported,etc.......

Last edited:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn

Sorry to hear that! :rolleyes:

Where do you draw the line?

Armed invaders , unarmed?

If they have Depends on or not?

You honestly are trying to say that the people coming into this country illegally are an invading army? :rolleyes:

Dude, you need to get your medication adjusted for that paranoia you got goin' on. :n00b:

They are simply criminals.

They aren't even bad criminals. The great majority of them are hard working people who just want to give their families a better life. Sure there are those who are REAL criminal's but you have those in any population.

Even criminals have Rights in this country. It's a basic American value that MANY seem to forget or easily & willingly violate.

No.

The cop is responding to the prior unlawful act of the BG.

If you hit me (without provocation, just to make it simple), you can't then use MY act of self-defense to further justify agressive action on your part.

That legal theory is even specifically included in the self-defense laws right here in IN.

It just doesn't work that way, but I suspect you already knew that.

Using that as a determination of citizenship would have eliminated every single one of our Founders (& everyone else born before July 4, 1776) as being legal citizen's of the US.

I think it's funny (in a :rolleyes: kind of way) that you argue that Rights are "god-given" with j706 to protect those Rights for YOU but then try to deny those same "god-given" Rights to other people who aren't citizen's of the US because you don't like them being here.

Are they "god-given" or not?

"God" didn't just give them to YOU (US). "He" gave them to everybody, no matter where you were born or which river you crossed to get here.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Go back and read my post. I said, " leave voluntarily".
    Don't go voluntarily, wait till you are arrested for something else or are found to be here illegally, then deportation with no chance to come back... Your choice!
    And I do show my papers...my drivers license and auto or m.c. Registration on command when I get stopped by the police. I think that identifies me to the officer doesn't it?
    If you cant produce a valid license and registration, then the officer should be allowed to find out who you are and if you are a citizen of this country.
    I do believe they should have a reason to pull you over.
    And I don't think it is hard to "round them up" ......when we start loading up busloads of illegals, give them a peanut butter sandwich, a bottle of water, and a ride to the other side of the border,and they can not re-enter(yes, it is very possible to build barriers and fences that can keep them out if we want to.) others would start to figure out that it's better to go voluntarily and be able to re-enter and be able to achieve the Mexican Dream. Those who don't, some of course may be able to fly under the radar and live here for the rest of their lives, some will commit crimes, be caught, serve out their sentence, then be deported,etc.......

What you propose is what we currently have. Ya that’s working out for us. What about the ones that don't drive? Your solution is to take back the ones that get caught. Then tighten the border so they can't comeback. Not all illegal aliens get here crossing the border. A lot are here from overstaying there legal visa. Do you know how many people you are talking about for your round up? I know my numbers are not accurate because they come from the government but 12- 20 million. Let’s see, if we use a million busses, and about 10 years you might get half.

Once people get rid of their hatred maybe then we can use some common sense. I don't have all the answers nor do I have my mind made up. This problem will not go away with a big round up by a bunch of mad people. Any process that means identifying and then expelling illegal alien will not happen without racial profiling. You may or may not have problem with that but you can't say it won't happen.

Last edited:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Any process that meant identifying and then expelling illegal alien will not happen without racial profiling.

Exactly.

Because everybody knows that it's only the dark skinned ones who are ever the "illegals".

:rolleyes:

(Those roll eyes weren't meant for you USMC. I know where you stand & :yesway: to you for it. :patriot: Those were for all the haters.)

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Sorry to hear that! :rolleyes:

You honestly are trying to say that the people coming into this country illegally are an invading army? :rolleyes:

Dude, you need to get your medication adjusted for that paranoia you got goin' on. :n00b:

They are simply criminals.

They aren't even bad criminals. The great majority of them are hard working people who just want to give their families a better life. Sure there are those who are REAL criminal's but you have those in any population.

Even criminals have Rights in this country. It's a basic American value that MANY seem to forget or easily & willingly violate.

No.

The cop is responding to the prior unlawful act of the BG.

If you hit me (without provocation, just to make it simple), you can't then use MY act of self-defense to further justify agressive action on your part.

That legal theory is even specifically included in the self-defense laws right here in IN.

It just doesn't work that way, but I suspect you already knew that.

Using that as a determination of citizenship would have eliminated every single one of our Founders (& everyone else born before July 4, 1776) as being legal citizen's of the US.

I think it's funny (in a :rolleyes: kind of way) that you argue that Rights are "god-given" with j706 to protect those Rights for YOU but then try to deny those same "god-given" Rights to other people who aren't citizen's of the US because you don't like them being here.

Are they "god-given" or not?

"God" didn't just give them to YOU (US). "He" gave them to everybody, no matter where you were born or which river you crossed to get here.

Oh, I didn't realize that the Founding Fathers were born to illegal aliens!?!
    Do you guys honestly not see the problems caused by illegal immigration ? The crime, the strain on welfare and medical facilities, unemployment numbers? (and don't give me that crap about them only doing jobs Americans won't do. That's a bunch of bull!)
    I wasn't "arguing" anything! Just stating a fact! I also am not trying to deny anyone their rights! Tell me where I'm wrong. By the way... Our rights are God given , not god given...just to be clear.
    Lastly, illegal aliens ( or undocumented international travelers) or whatever you want to call them, do not or at least, should not have the same privileges as law abiding citizens and legal visitors.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom