• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Lol, this is how it goes for those seeking precision performance from their rifles. I did the same thing recently when I bought a Rem700 5R, a Vortex PST and XLR Element chassis. It was a "budget build" I said, no need to spend big money as for its purpose there was such as thing as "accurate enough". I now have the same receiver but it has been trued, has a Krieger barrel installed and is sitting in an XLR Carbon chassis with a Vortex Gen II Razor 3-18x. I'd have saved myself $1000 if I'd have just been honest with myself and done it right the first time, I have no excuse as I've been down this road several times now.

Looks like you'll have one heck of a nice rifle when it's done!

Yikes. I'm just finishing my "budget" precision rifle. 700 AAC-SD in a B&C, Vortex 6-24 FFP. I was kinda counting on that "accurate enough" thing...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Yikes. I'm just finishing my "budget" precision rifle. 700 AAC-SD in a B&C, Vortex 6-24 FFP. I was kinda counting on that "accurate enough" thing...

Hopefully you get it. I had a Rem700 SPS Tactical in .223 a few years ago which was accurate enough. Kind of wish I'd have kept it now lol.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    What do you guys think of the Model 700 Sendero as an off-the-shelf option for long range shooting? Looks very similar to the 700SS, but I don't know what the differences are between the 700SS and the Sendero. I own two Senderos, one in 300 win mag and one in 300 ultra mag. Both are pretty much tack drivers at 200 yards. I would love to shoot further than 200, but that's the longest range I have access to that I'm aware of.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    From what I've seen, the 700 Police, 5R, and Sendero are the best of the 700 series out of the box. The action feels nicer than the lower end 700's, the QC seems better, and they are definitely more accurate out of the box.

If you're wanting to buy a rifle, scope it, and be good to go, those models are great.

If you're wanting to replace the stock and everything else, you may as well not spend the money on one of those models.

The 700 SS won't stack up to your Sendero's out of the box. For one, they come with the craptastic SPS stock. You may as well just throw that in the trash.....Or use it to paddle your canoe if you're wanting to reduce/reuse/recycle :yesway:

Personally, I love the Police, 5R, and Sendero's. They are what Phylo was talking about earlier in the thread as "accurate enough" for me. A custom action, barrel, and chasis would be more accurate, but for what I want and need out of a bolt gun, these higher end 700's are perfect. If you're shooting bench rest or some other competitions, maybe not so much...

What do you guys think of the Model 700 Sendero as an off-the-shelf option for long range shooting? Looks very similar to the 700SS, but I don't know what the differences are between the 700SS and the Sendero. I own two Senderos, one in 300 win mag and one in 300 ultra mag. Both are pretty much tack drivers at 200 yards. I would love to shoot further than 200, but that's the longest range I have access to that I'm aware of.

Last edited:

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

It depends on what you want from your rifle. I'd put it on the same playing field as the 5R Milspec I started out with. Mine was definitely a shooter, but it's still a factory action and barrel. The accuracy "ceiling" is only so high without some help. Do you handload? Typically the throats on 700s are longer because the lawyers want them to be safe. IMO it can be hit or miss with a factory rifle, especially if you don't handload.

Edit: I agree with seedubs1. The 700P, 5R, and Sendero are probably more than adequate for 75% of shooters out there.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area

It a evolves quickly. I've gone in stages and whIle my factory barreled action is sub moa a d through the various stages has improved some I've come to the same point as Christian where we just look for that little something extra. I've started with a factory 700 SPS .308, now planning to have the action true and blue printed and going 6.5.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    It depends on what you want from your rifle. I'd put it on the same playing field as the 5R Milspec I started out with. Mine was definitely a shooter, but it's still a factory action and barrel. The accuracy "ceiling" is only so high without some help. Do you handload? Typically the throats on 700s are longer because the lawyers want them to be safe. IMO it can be hit or miss with a factory rifle, especially if you don't handload.

Edit: I agree with seedubs1. The 700P, 5R, and Sendero are probably more than adequate for 75% of shooters out there.

I do handload and I have achieved some pretty impressive performance out of my factory 700s, although I have not fed any handloads through my Senderos yet. I have shot 1 inch groups at 100 yards using factory ammo in both Sederos. On my 300 ultra mag, that was with Federal Premium ammo. But with the 300 win mag, I shot 1-inch groups using Federal blue box ammo - go figure! Maybe I just got lucky, but I'm hopeful that with handloads I might get down to a 1/2 inch group.

I should add that I replaced the factory trigger on both Sederos, and lately on all of my 700s. I put Timney triggers in both Senderos, and believe that crisp break on the trigger can't hurt.

Last edited:

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    True the action and bolt. Thread and chamber the barrel. No muzzle thread right now. And you suck bulletsmith :cool:

I read a few places where some will actually mill the recoil lug to make sure the faces are square to the barrel and completely parallel to each other. That may be a good idea, or it may be BS. Just throwing it out there.

Top Bottom