My dad stopped someone breaking into his house.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My dad rents a house from me since he lost his place in the Henryville tornado. I talked to him today and he said he had to get a new doorknob on the front door. I asked why, and he said somebody damaged it while trying to break in. While he was home. You figure he would have led with that, but no, the doorknob was the headline in Dad's world...

Reader's Digest version: He had a truck and an SUV until recently when he sold the truck. The truck is what he normally drove to work, but he's off on medical leave right not. Apparently with the truck being gone and it being the time Dad would normally be at work, one of the neighborhood dopers decided he wasn't at home. Dad heard someone banging on the door, and he's a bit hard of hearing so thought maybe they were just knocking real loud because he didn't answer at first. Being the prudent man he is, he puts his pistol in his back pocket, grabs his cell phone, and goes to check. He opens the door and there's a guy whacking the door knob with a stick of firewood trying to knock it off. Dad tells the guy he's armed and to put the stick down and lay on the ground, the guy apparently believes him and doesn't push the issue, Dad calls the cops and since he lives within eye sight of the Sheriff's Dept a deputy gets there pretty quick.

The guy is high (go figure) and on probation for meth (go figure) and has been out of jail for about 2 weeks. He tells the deputy "I didn't know anyone lived here" to which Dad pipes up and says "you knew YOU didn't." That's my dad.:):

Attempt residential entry and probation violation, so he's back to jail for a bit. The gun never really came into play except for being present, but I'm glad he's got it. It seems like a lot of rural communities are crawling with meth addicts who have the attitude "i'll take anything not nailed down, and if I can pry it up, its not nailed down any more." A buddy of mine that I've known since high school lives about 1/2 mile away and he's been burglarized twice. They came in the first time and took some things, waited for him to get his insurance replacements, then came in and just cleaned him out. They even took his grill off the back porch.

Papa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Ohio
    People breaking into my home repeatedly was the turning point in my life where I decided I NEEDED a firearm. Since thin I haven't looked back. People are crazy and have no respect for property. I'm glad your dad was alright considering you never know how a drug addict will act when confronted.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Glad your dad handled it well and is okay.

Used to think I was free from criminal mischief since a ISP trooper lived behind me. Didn't seem to stop someone from breaking into my truck and destroying the dash to get at the $75 stereo.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Glad your dad's ok and glad he's capable. We want to move out to the country and we know this is going on. Makes us think about a different kind of security from what we conduct in town.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Your dad is awesome.

Yeah, he is.

Your old man sounds like quite the character.

You have no idea. We had a thread awhile back on "what your dad taught you" and this was my list:

1) If you are drunk and see headlights, slow down and put the passenger wheels in the ditch until they pass. Watch for mailboxes. Know where the culverts are on your route home from town.

2) Never take Eddie to town, especially if he's talking about strippers.

3) Eddie isn't allowed in Jeffersonville after the urinating under the stop light incident. Seriously, don't take Eddie to town.

4) Advice about love? Son, I've been married three times. Who am I to give you advise?

5) Have at least one friend with a log splitter.

6) Remember who visited when you were sick. They're your real friends. You'll have a ton of acquaintances in life, but you'll probably be able to count your real friends on one hand.

7) I'd have taken better care of myself if I knew I was going to live this long. Plan accordingly.

8) If the man running the till is honest, its tough to lose money selling vice.

9) No matter how hot it is, always wear long sleeves to cut tobacco or pitch hay. Shirt sleeves are ok for cutting corn.

10) You'll till a bigger garden than you're willing to weed.

11) The chances of you using geometry in the real world are about zero if you aren't an architect or a pool player.

12) Batters and weathermen have it made. If they get it right one time in three, folks forget about the two they got wrong.

13) Just go bald. Nobody's ever been fooled by a combover.

14) If you find pants that fit right, buy a couple of pairs more than you think you'll need.

15) If there's something you've "always wanted to do", do it as soon as you can. None of us knows when are "always" is going to be over.

16) You owe the boss one honest day's work. He owes you one honest day's pay. Tomorrow you start over. Leave on good terms if you can, but remember he's not going to give you any notice if he's going to fire you.

17) Check your beer levels on Saturday unless you want to drive to Louisville on Sunday. If you do go, go early, and don't take Eddie.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    :xmad:......sh**stains, I tell ya.......:xmad:

Yer Dad show'd more restraint than I'da had......:xmad:.......they'da had ta bring a mop....
    This happen in Henryville?.......:dunno:
    Ain't too far away......17 yrs , an' ain't never had no trouble.....only 1 way in here, an' they won' leave the conventional way...... :draw:

Scottsburg area got they share sh**stains as well.......

Glad yer Dad came out on good side......:yesway:

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Now that's the kind of dad a son can be proud of! Glad it all went down smoothly and no one ended up with more holes then they were born with!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm glad your dad was not hurt. Just looking at the pictures of meth addicts, I'm not sure why anyone would want to use that drug.

Top Bottom