Ordered from Stockade Gunstocks
    Mule deer stock in the white
    Bolt Handle
    Bolt lift kit
    Metal Trigger guard
    Oversized recoil lug
    I lapped the lugs
    Polished most of the metal to metal surfaces
    Trued the face of the reciever (with a jig rented from fireball168)
    Installed the barrel with moderately tight headspacing
    Finished the stock
    Duracoated everything
    and here are the photo's of the process...

The base rifle

stevens200.jpg

The base rifle broken down

precomponents.jpg

The action with lapping compound

savageaction.jpg

Trued the face of the reciever

0728091706.jpg

The Stock before bedding

09150911182.jpg

Prep work to the action
    I used modeling clay to fill the pin holes
    and kiwi neutral shoe polish as my release agent

0915091121.jpg

0915091205.jpg

I used Devcon steel for my bedding compound

0915091227.jpg

Cure time was about 2 hours for cleanup and 16 hours for full cure

0915091247.jpg

And the finished bedding job with just a little more clean up required.

0915091435.jpg

Duracoated everything and
    Mounted my Leupold VX-III 2.5-8 x 30mm

0927091257.jpg

and my finished product

downsized_0927091302.jpg

downsized_0927091259.jpg

I will be doing some load development tomorrow with barnes 250 grain solid coppers, and Hornady 325 grn. LeverRevolution rounds. will add the results to that here tomorrow evening.

Last edited:

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I'm really looking forward to seeing how that shoots. I remember you showing me parts of it when I was down there for the reloading class in April. I've been very interested in a gun like that as well. I'd love to have an INDNR legal bolt action. I'm looking forward to seeing your range results and ballistics. Just curious, about how much do you have invested in this? Did you upgrade the trigger?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I stoned the trigger to polish it up and make it a little bit lighter... the old style savage triggers are pretty ease to work on and there is a higher than normal margin of error in keeping the gun safe... i could have made it lighter but it breaks at a pretty consistant 4.5 pounds, and i dont think the 75 dollar upgrade in triggers would be worth it at this time.

Stock 175
    Bolt handle 40
    Lift Kit 7
    Recoil lug 30
    Rings 30
    Bases 30
    Bottom metal 30
    Barrel 290
    Stevens 235 (325 before selling parts)
    -60 (sold barrel)
    -20 (sold stock)
    -10 (sold old recoil lug and bolt handle)
    Paint 20

So I got right around 600 dollars invested NOT INCLUDING THE SCOPE.

I probably have around 10-15 man hours into the project.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    As you being you, took great care to build this beautiful rifle. I am sure many of us here envy your gunsmith skills.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    and he's picking up my savage monday to hold till i decide what to do with it. so more reports like this to come. i think after our shooting tomorow i may go the exact same route or go with a long range rifle.

Last edited:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Can't wait till you get tired of that OD Green and go for a camo pattern, and hit the barrel and scope too! :D

Should be a nice shooter, wish I could make it tomorrow to see in person. :xmad:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    i figure you get here at 9:30. it will take about 30 min for us to bs and set everything up (who am i kidding ill have everything set up already:rockwoot:)

Wish I could... wife works and I have a Daddy Daughter day with... well my daughter. Big day at the library and going swimming. I will win either way.:D

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ok we just got done shooting. ill let indy fill everyone in on everything to do with the savage. im sure he will be on in a couple hours since he just left.

what i will chime in on is we were shooting in a 20-40 mph FULL value wind and you wouldn't think the wind would effect the point of impact as much as it did at 200 yds with a 250-300 gr muzzleloader bullet but it did. we would shoot one time and get 1-2 inches of drift and 1 minute later have 12 inches of drift. by the end of the day we had our drop pretty well figured out but the wind was a killer. but by the end of the day we both had a bullet within a inch of the bull at 200yds. (nicks was about a tenth of a inch closer:xmad:) i was expecting about 6 inches of drop from my 100yd zero but ended up with 8-9 inches. we both would print a few sub moa groups then print a 8 inch group. we were shooting in some crazy inconsistant wind currents thats for sure.

i think we are going to do it again on wensday so more info to come shortly

on a brighter note indy fixed the savage action i have that i couldn't get to fire in about 1 minute wich i was pretty happy about

one other thing at one point while working on the savage i had to tap indy on the sholder as he was starting to squeze the trigger because 2 deer decided to get out of the wind by hiding behind the sheet of plywood our target was on. you know you shoot alot on a property when the deer arn't even gun shy

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If only i had pulled the trigger... i really didnt see them because they were behind the plywood target... i was shocked... saw 4 or 5 deer actually, or maybe the same ones multipe times....

so the savage.... well, its still a work in progress.... i sort of went about loading for it the wrong way... instead of starting low and shooting 3 shot groups up to the maximum i decided to just try and find the max.... well the telltale signs werent there when i started pushing primers out of pockets.... no flattening, no cratering, no sticky bolt, just loose primers??? either way i should have worried less about finding the max, and worried more about find an accurate load.... as of now i am not so sure lil gun is the best powder to be using in this thing..... once i get her all hammered out ill post more data.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    oh, and muzzloaders HATE the wind.

+10 but it was still a pretty good time and i learned alot about the wind. i think i would have learned more if it was consistant but i still learned alot.

the main thing i learned is if the wind is blowing in 20-40 mph gusts DONT shoot over 100 yds. it will kill your confidence in your gun

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    What caliber is this err cartridge is this? Is it a repeater or single shot? I thought about trying to make a repeater in .357 max. Nice project you have.

Top Bottom