• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Recently I had the pleasure of shooting a 'sniper rifle' for the first time.
    My background involves plinking of all kinds, and I am an avid appleseed enthusiast. I've shot two KD appleseed's, stretching out to 500 yards with my AR (shooting .223). Mostly I shoot .233/5.56 & .22. I've shot some .308, & 22/250, but really don't have much experience with larger calibers.

I'd recently been talking Long Distance shooting with an old school chum back home. Quite honestly, the math makes my head spin. But it's been very cold, and I've spent a lot of time indoors, so it was fun to discuss and research. During these discussions, I came across OneBadV8's 300 win mag rifle found in the Sniper Rifle Show n Tell thread.

3d4417b3.jpg

I immediately PM'd OneBadV8 asking if he still had that rifle, mentioning how much I would like to try shooting it sometime.
    He responded with "Of course. I'm shooting out at LoveMyWood's this weekend if you want to come along and try it out"
    I jumped at the chance!

The rifle is a Savage 110BA in 300 WinMag, in pretty much straight from the factory condition. They had done a write-up on this rifle in the past, which can be found here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...s-new-savage-110ba-300-win-mag-pics-vids.html

10xsnxt.jpg

OneBadV8 had recently acquired and mounted a Vortex Viper front focal plane scope, and needed to sight it in. This was the original purpose for the trip, until I decided to tag along :)

33m4eoz.jpg

Weather was great! 46 degrees, with little wind. occasionally it would gust up a tailwind. After all of the cold weather we've had, I was pretty happy with the conditions.

OneBadV8 immediately went to work sighting the rifle in at 50 yards. Within a few rounds he had it zero'd, and knew we could get on paper at 200.
    Wow. This thing is loud. I was spotting off to the side, and it had me (and my thin frame/build) a little concerned.

1538x34.jpg

Once he began shooting at 200, I had a chance to step back off the spotting scope for a moment and then realized how little recoil the rifle had, as well as just how much concussion was being spewed from the muzzle brake. I was now completely at ease with trying to shoot it.

1pz8d2.jpg

LoveMyWoods & I headed down to post some paper targets. We had a little difficulty due to the wet melting snow. This is the first time I've ridden on an atv, and it was a blast.

20uzh8w.jpg

Once OnebadV8 was done sighting in at 200 yards, he asked if I wanted to give it a whirl. I happily obliged.
    The first thing I asked, was if it was ok to dry fire (to get an idea of the trigger break). He was fine with this, and I dry fired it twice.
    Holy cow. I have never fired a trigger like this. I couldn't even tell you what the weight was. As soon as my brain sent any sort of signal to press the trigger, it broke.
    And this is a 'from the factory' rifle with no mods (except bipod and glass). I was thoroughly impressed.

mmfu4p.jpg

I asked if I could play with the zoom on the scope, as I had never looked down a front focal plan scope before. Again, I was impressed. The glass seemed really clear. The focus might've been off a hair for my taste, but it was difficult to tell because we had a bit of mirage going on with the snow & ice melting off the pond. I've never had magnification so high & glass so clear to see this before. The eye relief was pretty tight. I typically shoot with both eyes open, but played a bit with squinting to see if that improved my struggle with the mirage at all.

2liijah.jpg

I've also rarely shot off a bench or from a bipod. I've plinked some, but this was a different animal all together. Using my support hand, I made a fist under the stock to elevate the rear. My pulse would jitter the sight picture, which was a bit unnerving at this magnification.

The way I figured it, OneBadV8 had already done all the hard work. And at a measly 200 yards, the 25% USPA target should be a breeze. I took aim, attempted to slow my breathing and pulse to no avail, and fired away. No problem whacking that little guy.

2ezms08.jpg

I decided to try a sighter group on paper to see just how tight I might be able to get with this rifle.
    Now I could really see the jitter with my pulse... I took my time, and let the first round fly. It was about a 1/2 min high & left from my POA. With everything going on in my head I felt this was off, but chalked it up to my nervousness.
    My second shot sucked hard. The trigger is so light it went off before I had anticipated, but I was only about 1/2" low & right from my first shot.
    My 3rd, I again tried to be patient, focus on the same spot, and it went off like a dream. I ragged my first shot making a slightly elongated hole.

I wound up with a 1/4 moa grouping on my first 3 shot sighter group with this rifle in what I would guess to be ideal shooting conditions, on a stock rifle setup for another shooter. For some reason i was really nervous about adjusting anything. I've never gotten behind the trigger of a rifle this costly. The case he stores it in is probably close to the same price as any of my rifles lol. I would be very excited to see what I could do with some more time & fiddling with the cheekweld & scope.

But this was just a first taste in this kind of platform, style of shooting, and caliber. perhaps another day I will delve into it further. I have to admit, the pocketbook is going to keep me from doing this anytime soon, but wow what a rush. If I had Long Distance range options that were closer, the expense would be much easier to swallow.

I had an amazing time, and couldn't have asked for a better intro to sniper rifle or 300 win mag shooting.

Thanks to LoveMyWoods for his generous hospitality, insight & pictures.
    Thanks to OnebadV8 for his generosity and driving the other ATV so I didn't have to. :)

We did mess with some other firearms. And that put the day over the top. But for me, this 300 winmag was the cat's meow.

Last edited by a moderator:

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    Nice report and great pics. Sounds like you had a great time. I suspect there was a lot of lead flying today around ingo. Beautiful day! I got out and plinked some cans with a newly acquired 22 lever action I hadn't shot and blasted some clays with a newly acquired beretta o/u. No pics though as I was alone and don't own a selfie stick.:D

I have a savage 300 wsm I upgraded with a new stock and scope this winter and can't wait to get it on the range and sight it in. I worked up some handloads for it to test. I've always enjoyed aiming...squeezing...and hitting what I was aiming at from distance. Very addicting! I suspect you'll be "building" your own rig soon!!!

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Nice of those guys to take you out. Props to them.

I would offer to buy them some ammo or cold beer.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Nice of those guys to take you out. Props to them.

I would offer to buy them some ammo or cold beer.

Indeed! I gave a box of 300 wm for OneBadV8. But we shot his handloads.
    LMW is one tough cat... Everytime I try to even the score he always manages to one up us! :)

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    The Fun Continues!

Just as winter was losing her grip on Central Indiana, I had a chance to host two friends for an afternoon of shooting and fun.

The original purpose of the trip was to sight-in a new Vortex scope on OneBadV8's Savage 110. RobbyMaQ joined in with an interest in shooting the big .300WinMag to experience a flatter, larger round. OBV8 was glad to accommodate!

The original post in this thread captured Robby's thoughts.

I'll describe what happened after the .300WinMag.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second rifle that OneBadV8 pulled out was an HK 91 with an AAC 762SDN-6 suppressor. It shoots the .308 round. He claims that he wasn't really looking for this rifle, but when he crossed paths with it, he knew he had to bring it home.

My immediate impression of this rifle was that it was a beast! If you ran out of rounds, it would make a formidable club. Everything about it is rock solid.

hwjupu.jpg

5ap2s5.jpg

With the suppressor attached, the noise signature is much reduced. I still preferred to use my ear pro as the "crack" embedded within the "woosh" of the exiting gases was still a bit more than I wanted to deal with.

I'll admit publically that RobbyMaQ and OneBadV8 outshot me with this rifle. I'm closer to 60 than I am 55 and the Bobcat Steel torso at 211 yards looks mighty small to me. But, even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while and I loved the resounding gong sound when the 30 caliber round connected with that steel plate!

The other impression of the HK 91 is that you know you just shot a powerful rifle. The recoil is very manageable, but the rifle makes the shooter keenly aware of its presence. :) (I like that.)

20r5i6u.jpg

(Photo credit to OBV8)

One more impression of the HK. It throws empty brass insanely far. At first, we didn't even see the brass exiting because it left at such a high trajectory. We finally managed to track a few pieces and realized they were accumulating on the ice about 35-40 feet right and forward of the shooting bench! The reloader in me had to restrain myself because I wasn't going to walk out on that ice to retrieve them....no way.

It was the AR platform's turn for some fun.

As I recall, three rifles made an appearance. One was OneBadV8's LMT with ACOG sight. The suppressor from the HK 91 was moved to the AR and performed surprisingly well. Yes, it's a 30 caliber can on a .223 rifle. But in this case it seemed to work nicely.

11goryw.jpg

RobbyMaQ brought two of his ARs. He had some question about whether the buffer and spring combination in one was properly sized/configured for the rifle. He had noted that the exiting brass often fell just a few feet away and wondered if they were being expelled with enough energy.

I'm not an AR expert, but these cases fell 4-5 feet to the right and slightly forward of the ejection port. I've seen many other ARs with similar ejection patterns. I offered that since much of Robbie's shooting is from the prone position, it may make the cases appear to fall rather close to the rifle. His rifle seemed good-to-go.

His other AR patterned about six feet right and 4 feet back with all cases landing in a bushel basket sized area. That's OK too.

2nhgn5u.jpg

nx3qmo.jpg

The sun was starting to get a bit low in the sky. We headed for the house and luckily made it up a slushy/muddy hill with no issues. Gear was loaded back into vehicles and good-bys said.

Final thoughts:
    -- Kudos to OneBadV8 for bravely driving the second ATV (loaded with gear) in the snow and mud. This is noteworthy because this was his first time driving an ATV, ever.
    -- RobbyMaQ is fearless. He'll try anything.
    -- Even with snow on the ground, 40 degrees, blue skies, and sunshine felt wonderful after these last few weeks of winter weather.
    -- Shooting stuff is fun!.
    -- I am blessed with many fine friends I've met through INGO.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Great report! I shot next to OnebadV8 at a KD event at INGO member Raine's place last year, or maybe it was 2 years ago now. You aren't kidding, that thing is loud! I had my Savage 10FP in .223 and it looked and sounded like a little pellet gun next to its bigger brother. But it still shot well and was able to keep pace at the 400+ targets.

Sounds like a great day of shooting for all!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Great reports and shooting! Two parts of our hobby I have yet to get into but have long wanted to are highlighted here. First is a nice long range rifle, in a larger caliber. And secondly is a suppressor. Thanks for the AAR all!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I will also add that I understand the percussion of a braked rifle, not in that magnitude though! I dabbled in the 5.45 AK fun a few years back and the 74 series rifle I had shot soft and smooth but blasted anyone on either side! What a different perspective one can have from the sights to the spotting scope.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Looks like a ton of fun, I hope as the weather gets a bit better I hope I can get some people out to my range again this year. Always a good time with fellow INGOers:ingo:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Great reports guys! Glad to see the weather changing for the better, and you guys getting out to enjoy it. :yesway:

Gman, Churchmouse, Shadow and myself all made it out to MCFG for a couple of hours yesterday. Great times with great people, but can't wait to get the big guns out soon.:)

Jeepsandguns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2013
    Carmel
    image.jpgNice write up on the Savage. I've shot that model before and it doesn't get much better than that trigger. I didn't know one could be that good.
    imagejpeg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom