• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    As CWood noted, I run a thumb over modified Magpul grip. I usually run the light further forward in the mount, putting it in better position for the thumb. It also extends the bezel in front of the muzzle to cut down on carbon buildup on the lens with these short guns. I have not run the 12.5 at night yet, ad was just too lazy to tap the light into position when I mounted it, two problems I have rectified now.

I'll hit a couple pics of the new configuration, and my grip for ya.

Not saying it's perfect, but it works for me. Only issue I've found to date is when running IR iluminators, NOD's, and IR designators. Too much stuff, not enough space. I'm switching lights to a dual mode IR and LED, and adding just an IR designator to help minimize the mess.

Tinman....

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Evan,

Here's the pics

Picture001.jpg

Light in the correct location.

Picture003-1.jpg

My normal grip.

I just drop the thumb behind the light to activate.

Tinman....

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Thanks to Cwood for the hookup!

e1fa1l.jpg

Well this build project has now officially started. Let's look at the current tally.

Spike's Tactical stripped lower - $85
    Total $85 :D

Up next-- engraving, tax stamp, LPK.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Evan,

Here's the pics

Picture001.jpg

Light in the correct location.

Picture003-1.jpg

My normal grip.

I just drop the thumb behind the light to activate.

Tinman....

I had to bust out my rifle and see if I could hold it like this. I typically use the thumb break grip style with my larue fug, but I have my tape switch on the the right hand side of the gun. Interesting.

Getting ready to start an SBR build myself. Leaning towards a spikes lower and a spikes 10.5 upper. Might do another form and slap a 10.5" barrel on my 27a1 Thompson while I'm at it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ok guys, I've got two topics to discuss-- test fitting and engraving.

1. Test fitting

I don't want to spend $200 manufacturing an SBR if my lower has a potential problem. At first I had planned on sending off the ATF paperwork first (to get the waiting started), then later acquiring the LPK. Is this a bad idea? Is it advisable to first test fit some of the lower parts to ensure their proper fitment? Or am I fairly safe with the Spike's lower?

2. Engraving

Where are all the acceptable locations to engrave on the lower? Where have you guys engraved, or where do you prefer?

I believe I need my name, city, and state, correct? Would "E.S.Rice / Indianapolis, IN" suffice?

Thanks to loony1, I found out that LaserScribe can do the required depth, and is right down the street from me. With their prices and my not having to ship, I might go this way.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    My last one I have the front of the mag well engraved. The others are on the right side above the trigger housing.

Also I have never test fitted my Spike's lower before having it engraved,

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I only had the front of the mag well done because there was too much writing on the left side of the receiver. I really don't have a preference.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Why? As long as the lower will accept the parts, anything can be changed out or rearranged, right?

I was running a 10.5" that needed some 'massaging' to run right. I didn't want to dump the stamp into a build that could have turned into something different.

Top Bottom