• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Today I got the first set of parts for my 10/22 build. Basically I am just waiting on the barrel (should be there Thursday) and optics (probably Saturday)

It started out as a basic 10/22 carbine that I picked up on a great deal for $120.

P7150118.jpg

I pulled the stock and barrel off to start my internal changes.

I put in a Volq buffer
    TueFeb16215003AmericaNew_York201-1.jpg

I put in a Volq extended Mag release
    TueFeb16214951AmericaNew_York201-1.jpg

At this point I didn't know if they do much in my application because I have not yet fired it. I can say that it is a little easier to grab the mag release. The buffer should help with wear and noise down the line.

The next upgrade is the best so far. I put in a Volq target hammer and auto bolt release.
    TueFeb16214959AmericaNew_York201-1.jpg

I paid $45 for the hammer and bolt release and so far I am extremely impressed. This kit came with the target hammer, new hammer spring, new hammer bushings and shims. It also came with a trigger plunger spring.

I have never taken the 10/22 down past field stripping and dropping the trigger group out. I used some diagrams on rimfirecentral.com and ruger22.com and it was not too hard at all.

After I had everything apart I used a felt wheel on the dremel to polish up a few parts.

I threw on a Harris Bipod I had. and here it is as it stands.
    WedFeb17001759AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

My Tactical Inc Barrel should be in soon and then I will get a scope put on. Then come summer I should have my can to finish it off.

Also, sorry for the crappy pics, they are from my phone since I can upload straight to photobucket.

Check back to see the finished product.

doglb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   1
    Jul 13, 2009
    Ft. Wayne, IN
    aww...yes...over on rimfirecentral, the 10/22 no matter how one builds it becomes an obsession! From mild to extremely wild the only thing ever linmiting you on a build is how much money you have to spend.

I love building up and tinkering with the 10/22, its a great platform for a tactical or ultimate. Your build is looking good, nice and clean and overcourse black! :D

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    If goes as planned I will get the barrel today.

Then I can get a scope from PSS and have them boresight it on Saturday. Possibly I can get to some land on Sunday to sight it in.

THEN after a long wait I can do a review with my Thompson Machine Can on it.:ar15:

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    No longer as pissed becuase it just showed up!!!
    FriFeb19110732AmericaNew_York2010.jpg
    FriFeb19110726AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

The somewhat anti-gun liberal at work asked why the end of the barrel unscrews....I simply replied that it is so I can put a supressor on it!!

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    Looking good.
    I just put a Volquartzen HP kit in mine and I'm sure I'm the exception and not the rule, but I've had my issues. Turns out you may have to do some grinding on the sear pin. We fiqured that out after hours of frustration. Now I had a friend help me go through it and it jams every third or so rounds. It appears that the firing pin is not striking the rim hard enough. I gave up and took it to the Gunsmith yesterday. We'll see what thats gonna cost me. Not trying to discourage you , just give a you a heads up if you start having problems, you wont spend hours scratching your head wonderoing what YOU did wrong like I did. Good luck, I look forward to getting the bugs worked out in mine!

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I have seen mostly good reviews of the Hammer kit, but as with anything there can be a few bad ones. Hopefully I did not get one.

Also, how long ago did you get yours? It red somewhere that the origional ones did not come with the new hammer spring. They started sending a stiffer spring to prevent misfires.

I have not been able to complelty verify that but maybe thats the issue:dunno:

joseywales7450

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Carmel
    looks like a sweet build so far. can't wait to see the finished project. also, would you mind telling everyone where you got the 10/22 for $120? you don't need to hold in a secret like that because you already have one.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I posted a thread about it awhile back when I picked it up.

I was looking around at the castleton Gander Mtn and saw it being put out with the used firearms. I asked about it and a guy had abought it, took it home, saw a small small scratch on the receiver and brought it back. The manager said he couldn't sell it as new anylonger even though it was never shot.

I got one of those rare good deals at gander.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I got the barrel put on and it looks pretty good. I did realize that my OAL is now about 2" shorter than the orig carbine however the rifle itself looks bigger in general.

the gun is a little front heavy but not too bad.

No pics at this time, however I will be hitting up PSS in the next few hours get some glass and then head to the range for a little bit of shooting.

I wont have much time today but hopefully I can get it dialed in.

Pics to come.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    No longer as pissed becuase it just showed up!!!
    FriFeb19110732AmericaNew_York2010.jpg
    FriFeb19110726AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

The somewhat anti-gun liberal at work asked why the end of the barrel unscrews....I simply replied that it is so I can put a supressor on it!!

should of said its for the pitch fork attachment so you dont have to bend over and pick up the animals after you shoot em:dunno: ok maybe not the best reply:):

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I have completed my build for now!!!:rockwoot:

I stopped by PSS this AM to pick up a scope. To my dismay they were out of Rimfire scopes. I talked with Rex for a little bit and decided on a Shotgun/Muzzleloader scope. IT does what I need it do to and I have been considering replacing the stock CVA scope on my muzzleloader anyway. I figure If I decide I don't want it on here I can swap them or just get another one later.

Anyways, it is a Hawke Sport Optics Slug/Muzzleloader Scope with Deer Pass. Basically it has severral dashes and markes to help you judge elevation and distance without adjusting the scope. This could be extremely helpful in deer hunting. Here is a link to the scope. Hawke Sport Optics : Hawke DeerPASS MAP Riflescopes

I don't know much about scopes but it is a 3-9x 40 scope, fit and finish are good and I figure it can take a beating if it is rated for slugs.

Anyways, here are some finished pics from my cell phone today.

SatFeb20121211AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

SatFeb20121208AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

SatFeb20121158AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

SatFeb20121205AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

Shooting it was a lot of fun. Rex bore sighted the scope in and it wasn't too far off at 25 yards. I zeroed in and was happy to find that the POA and POI were the same at 25 and 50 yards, well very very close. Out to 75 it dropped a little which can be expected.

After I was done shooting I decided to do a grouping at 50 yards with Mini Mags. I did a group of 8 because I only had 8 mini mags left:D

This is a 1 1/2inch diamond.First 4 were above the upper left hits. I then adjusted......to far:rolleyes: and hit the bottom right. I then fixed the problem one last time and put 3 in the center, practically the same hole:rockwoot:. This gun is now far more accurate that I am.
    SatFeb20224549AmericaNew_York2010.jpg

Top Bottom