• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    What to do with a bunch of muzzleloader balls in both .45 and .50 caliber,just got these in a box of trade items from a friend and wandered if the could be used to recast bullets?
    If this is in the wrong place mods, please move.
    Thanks Cain 71

Iceandfire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    7 miles from Medora, IN
    Well, you can do the same thing I did 30 years ago when I also wound up with a gob of .44 cal mini balls.... Put them up on a shelf and look at them every 5 years or so. I still haven't decided what to do with them, but they're not eating anything, so I guess I'll just leave them alone.

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Man rule #326 - if you come into possession of ammunition or ammunition components for which you do not have a firearm, you must procure a firearm in that caliber.

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    I have the firearms to shoot said lead balls, i just have so much of this stuff, I am at a loss of what to due with more of it. In the trade i also acquired 2 more powder horns, a pound of Goex FFg and a 1/2 container of pyrodex.
    Well unless someone has a wonderful Idea, i guess it will sit.

Hoosierbuck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    I wish I had a powder horn...been thinking about getting one for my sidelocks. (AHEM!) It would also make a nice exhibit for when I teach hunter ed. and tell the kids not to pour direct from a bulk powder source into the barrel. The lead...I would keep if I was you. They aren't giving it away anymore.

Rescue912

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 6, 2010
    Lafayette
    Man rule #326 - if you come into possession of ammunition or ammunition components for which you do not have a firearm, you must procure a firearm in that caliber.

Right on! I still shoot round balls out of my traditions muzzy. Much cheaper than sabots and accurate enough for what I do...

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    They are probably pure lead, too soft to recast for a centerfire with out alloying to make it harder. Your better off trading or selling if you don't want them, or just keeping to shoot yourself.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I have the firearms to shoot said lead balls, i just have so much of this stuff, I am at a loss of what to due with more of it. In the trade i also acquired 2 more powder horns, a pound of Goex FFg and a 1/2 container of pyrodex.
    Well unless someone has a wonderful Idea, i guess it will sit.

I could store them for you.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    If you decide you won't use any of the stuff, you may think about the pay it forward/karma system. There is one in the breakroom and one going on for reloading components in the classifieds. What better way to share the wealth on INGO:ingo: I am sure we all have stuff llike this laying around. I plan on going through some of my stuff over the weekend... if the wife doesn't keep me too busy:)

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    If you decide to get rid of this stuff, send me a PM.
    I' use round ball in both sizes and Goex.
    Will gladly make you an offer or I might have something to trade.

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    It has been put away until Jack Ryan comes through my way and picks it up, sorry I did not get this thread closed last night.

Mods please close at for some reason I don't have that option.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom