• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Open carry can be argued as a deterrant. You'll not generally find hard facts to tell this, but lots of folks theorize that if someone is thinking about robbing a gas station and see someone inside already armed, they'll think twice. Opponents to OC say that the bad guy will just shoot the armed person first, but there's not really any verifiable evidence to prove this idea.

I don't buy the opponents argument that the BG will just shoot the OC'r. This is just an opinion, but I think most guys robbing a gas station would not bring on a murder charge if they can just wait a couple of minutes until the OC is gone. That would only apply if the BG saw the gun before making his/her move.

Now, if they are in the midst of a hold up and then see the OC, then who knows how they will react. Hopefully, before they can react, the OC guy is now the guy with the gun pointed at the BG and has the initiative.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Then about a few months later, a friend and I were pulled over while passing through Ball state campus by to rent a cops. One was just a flat out cocky ass, but the other was pretty cool. He asked my friend if he was armed because my friend had his hands on the dash. When my friend responded with a yes, the cop started screaming gun, then told my friend how much trouble he was in for having a gun. Even though my friend told him multiple times that he has a LTCH. The "cop" looked at him, as if it wasn't true, and continued to harass him. He went as far as to harass him about the gun he was carrying. *A glock 22* So that caused him to call it in to see if it was stolen. When it came back as legal. The "cop" at this point tried to just find something to pin on us, because he was pissed hardcore at this point. But yeah.... my point being after incidents like this from the boy in blue of Muncie. I think I will just CCW for awhile when my permit comes in.

A government who puts fear into the hearts of citizens to exercise their rights is a government of tyranny

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Well, when I remove the living tissue from my titanium combat chassis and start speaking in a weird Austrian accent, it doesn't take a gun to send people screaming.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    It wouldn't matter what I wear, this northern Lake County

You don't pay much attention to peoples location or responses.

I'm in Hammond. I replied I've never had any problems open carrying in Target or BestBuy (in this thread and others). You can't get any farther into Lake County without being in the lake.

How many times do we (myself and the many others who OC all around Lake county) have to tell you. You are wrong. I've never had a single panic or call the cops.

My wife has even OC'ed a Skorpion machine pistol. If that doesn't get any responses, nothing will.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but you are completely misinformed and spreading misinformation about the area. Aside from gary, Lake county is very OC friendly.

Last edited:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Do you have a source for this?

It was posted here before and on opencarry.org I can't remember the contact name for her, but it was the head regional Loss Prevention lady that confirmed it for Indiana.

I've never had occasion to say anything to them as none of the Target LP has ever said a word to me when I've been in their stores. Munster and Highland primarily. Also the one in Hobart once or twice but I'm not out that way much.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    It wouldn't matter what I wear, this northern Lake County
    Says you are in St John. I've OC'd inside the Starbucks in St John. I've done open gun transactions during daylight hours in the Tractor Supply parking lot right behind that same Starbucks. I've OC'd in the St John Strack & Van Til supermarket and in the First Midwest Bank branch there too.

Now I typically CC, but I've never had anyone bat an eye when I've OC'd.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I like to give this county more crap than it deserves, mostly for it's large population of oompa loompas.

serious-1.png

Mauser-K98

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    I always thought OC was bad strategy. Never let your opponents know your capabilities in advance, as they can take steps to avoid them. Plus, every cop that walks by almost has to grill you and check your papers, or he isn't doing his job. He can't tell you're legal with his psychic powers alone. Yes, you can exercise your rights, but scaring the sheeple doesn't really do us much good in the long run, in my $.02:)

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Mauser, don't... just... DON'T.

You're new here so I'll give you the answer to what your asking in your above post.

The answer: There is no right answer to OC vs. CC. The only important thing is carry your firearm and carry it safely, whichever way you want to do it, CC or OC.

This has been hashed and rehashed multiple times. Do a search for it and you will find long threads debating the supposed merit or the supposed evils of OC.

Just carry and carry safely. Exercise your right and carry.

Please, just don't get this started again.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Then about a few months later, a friend and I were pulled over while passing through Ball state campus by to rent a cops. One was just a flat out cocky ass, but the other was pretty cool. He asked my friend if he was armed because my friend had his hands on the dash. When my friend responded with a yes, the cop started screaming gun, then told my friend how much trouble he was in for having a gun. Even though my friend told him multiple times that he has a LTCH. The "cop" looked at him, as if it wasn't true, and continued to harass him. He went as far as to harass him about the gun he was carrying. *A glock 22* So that caused him to call it in to see if it was stolen. When it came back as legal. The "cop" at this point tried to just find something to pin on us, because he was pissed hardcore at this point. But yeah.... my point being after incidents like this from the boy in blue of Muncie. I think I will just CCW for awhile when my permit comes in.

Were these "rent a cops" BSU security guards, or campus police officers (AKA Kiddie Cops...as I like to call them; not a hater, just like the sound of it! ;))? If they were able to run your pistol's serial # through NCIS, it sounds to me that they were legitimate sworn police officers. If they were non-sworn :mallninja: security, you could and *should* have told them to eat :poop: once they started trying to break your :bigballs: . The powers of private security officers are no more and no less than those of any private citizen property owner, unless they are Special Deputies.
    In the case of Special Deputies, they *do* have powers of arrest, but only while they are on the clock and on the property they are assigned to protect. Tread carefully with Special Deputies... I worked with some at an Indy security company back in the day, and while most were decent folks just trying to make a living, there were more than a fair number of :nuts: . A few of these folks literally were cop wanna-but-can't-bes. With asses and egos too big, and brains too small (thus their rejection/ineligibility for jobs w/ a regular police dept), some of these goobers were always chomping at the bit to get arrests, see some "action" etc., and sadly their arrest powers are legitimate, on property.

JPY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Muncie
    AFAIK, Ball State doesn't have private security. They are a full-fledged police department:
    *paste*

The minimum qualifications to be an officer are: an associates degree or two years of college or equivalent experience in law enforcement; successful completion of the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy basic training course within the first year of employment or completion of an equivalent training program approved by the Indiana Law Enforcement Training Board; must posses and maintain a valid Indiana driver's license; must be able to perform all mental and physical requirements as outlined in each job duty, and be able to meet physical fitness standards as defined by the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy; must pass a psychological evaluation and polygraph test post-offer/pre-employment; must pass a skills test.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom