• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    With the cheap AR's thread going, I became curious.

If multiple firearms are purchased at the same time, is it required for a 4473 be filled out for each, or are all covered under one?

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The form has more than one line available, for exactly this purpose. What fee gets charged is at the discretion of the dealer.
    You definitely want to be aware of transfer fee and if ordering multiple firearms be sure to ask if you pay for each firearm when you do a transfer. Most I've used only charge one transfer fee as long as it's all on one 4473.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    You definitely want to be aware of transfer fee and if ordering multiple firearms be sure to ask if you pay for each firearm when you do a transfer. Most I've used only charge one transfer fee as long as it's all on one 4473.
    I have bought from numerous dealers but, so far, have not had the opportunity to purchase more than one at a time. So I don't have any personal experience with this.

It seems logical that one 4473 should equal one transfer fee, but to the best of my knowledge the fee structure is completely unregulated and an FFL can charge whatever they wish for the service. If buying several lowers at once, for instance, it would be wise to call ahead and ask lest you end up having a very expensive day.

Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    I think the transfer fee is $65, the last time I checked. It could've gone up though. If I order anything, I'll be sure to find out about separate fees. Appreciate the advice.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Call around before you order. It's as low as $20 around my area.
    And some will charge more out of spite. One place I know of charges $25 for mail order transfers if they dont sell (stock?) it. $50 if they do.

They REALLY want you to buy from them.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but I think there is a 5 gun limit on the 4473's.
    Not really a rule, but I believe that is the number of lines on the 4473 form.
    Each form is serialized, so anything over 5 would require a separate form.
    Multiple forms can be processed during one phone call.
    Several times my brother and I have purchased identical firearms from the same dealer, at the same time.
    We fill out separate forms, but the dealer only makes one call.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Generally see 25 for the first and 15 for any others during that transfer. You can at least do 3 per 4473. Remember that there is a number of purchases per week period that if exceeded the ffl has to notify the local atf field office of the activity. I think it's more than 3 in a 7 day period.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I cannot express strongly enough the fact that you need to spend enough time to become friends, not just customers, of your local FFl's.

I have 2 shops in Lafayette that I can have firearms transferred that will charge me zero for a transfer, whether I buy from them or have shipped to them.

Having a good relationship with an FFL can be worth more than can be measured.

Lpherr

In a blue bubble
    I usually call and ask if my lgs has something before ordering online. If they have it I buy from them.
    I would prefer to support a LGS, but if the cost difference offsets the transfer fee, and there's still savings, then I would likely order, if it's a significant savings.
    I think our one LGS will do a price match though.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I would prefer to support a LGS, but if the cost difference offsets the transfer fee, and there's still savings, then I would likely order, if it's a significant savings.
    I think our one LGS will do a price match though.

South County Guns in Schererville charges $30 for one. I believe he did charge me 60 when I got two at one time.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Generally see 25 for the first and 15 for any others during that transfer. You can at least do 3 per 4473. Remember that there is a number of purchases per week period that if exceeded the ffl has to notify the local atf field office of the activity. I think it's more than 3 in a 7 day period.

My understanding is this only applies to handguns. But I don't know that for fact.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I believe 2 or more handguns over a few days and the dealer needs to do the additional paper work. If I were a dealer I would charge for each item. I talked to a ffl who says if he just charges one fee, customers don't pick up there guns quickly and just leave them while ordering more stuff. That would be very annoying to me.

Top Bottom