Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sorry to here that...I was in Bardstown when Heaven Hill caught fire.....I imagine a mulch fire and a whiskey fire are about as big a fire as you can get...

csm_Heaven_Hill_-_Brand_eines_Lagerhauses_b9297cb41e.jpg

YeE66El.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Sorry to here that...I was in Bardstown when Heaven Hill caught fire.....I imagine a mulch fire and a whiskey fire are about as big a fire as you can get...

csm_Heaven_Hill_-_Brand_eines_Lagerhauses_b9297cb41e.jpg

YeE66El.jpg

Tire warehouse. It was years ago about a mile NE of us. The smoke went all the way to Terr Haute. They put so much water on it they flushed the pipes. The water tasted great out o the tap for a good while.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't think so. Based on the photos I've seen, it's more like a huge smoldering fire not a blazing inferno. That place produces mulch and apparently, they reach critical mass for spontaneous combustion of that organic material.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Based on what I've seen firsthand with the Elkhart mulch fire and then more recently Mottville, MI mulch fire; if the inventory is similar , you could be seeing a plume of smoke for a week if not longer.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Based on what I've seen firsthand with the Elkhart mulch fire and then more recently Mottville, MI mulch fire; if the inventory is similar , you could be seeing a plume of smoke for a week if not longer.

Sounds like they're more common than I thought. Looks like that industry would have developed standards for storing the mulch to minimize the fire risks.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Mulch fires are the norm, Tiffany mulch in Indy is always on fire, insert prob and wait, it just builds hest all winter, you cannot stire it fast enough.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    That's not the first fire for them, I would imagine the bill on this one will be quite high when it's all done. They might move down 60 to get away from town but still keep a close truck connection.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The one in Indy (Tiffany?) burned for days.
    Yeah, that's what they're saying about this one.

This afternoon IN-60 is closed off between Mitchell and US50. Smoke was still wafting across 37 just a tad north of Mitchell. Visibility wasn't as bad today as it was yesterday.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    A mulch and compost place near Helotes, which is just NW of San Antonio, was being encroached on by the growing suburbs, and people started complaining about it and trying to get it shut down and moved. Right in the middle of the legal battles it suddenly caught fire and burned for weeks, IIRC.

Top Bottom