• Which do you prefer, AMD or Intel?

• Total voters

slackerisme

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Just north of Ft. Wayne
    I have owned a computer repair business for 5 years now. I can honestly say that while I have not seen a significant difference in overall performance between like models of the different brands, I have replaced far more AMD's than Intel's. Which seems really odd to me since Intel owns the market share.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I was always an AMD guy until they fell behind a few years back... I agree that they are the best bang for the buck.

But... if you're looking for the best, you have to go with Intel (currently.)

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I think it depends, I think AMD provides more horsepower and they're cheaper to boot. Intel on the other hand always has higher clock speeds - if I were building a gaming rig I would go Intel.

Otherwise AMD is where it's at, in fact it's our hardware standard for x86-based OS' here at work.

Aside from these 2 you've mentioned I'd always pick RISC PPC - IBM FTW!!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I think it depends, I think AMD provides more horsepower and they're cheaper to boot. Intel on the other hand always has higher clock speeds - if I were building a gaming rig I would go Intel.

Otherwise AMD is where it's at, in fact it's our hardware standard for x86-based OS' here at work.

Aside from these 2 you've mentioned I'd always pick RISC PPC - IBM FTW!!

{{citation needed}}

Any processor can be overclocked - I've had the same AMD Athlon 3000 1.8Ghz processor for five years, and from the second day I got it, it's been running 2.3Ghz....

AMD has lost market share due to Intel's price-fixing and exclusive rebate policies with OEMs and other manufacturers... (exclusivity contract with Apple ring a bell?) not due to a decrease in quality. AMD is still top-of-the-line. Anyone who has a Pentium, Celeron, Xeon, whatever... they can keep it. I'd rather have a processor that works and works reliably.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Currently running a Quad Core Intel (Q6700 @ 2.66GHz). I've been back and forth between AMD and Intel. Its the whole Price vs. Performance thing. I'm not a rabid fan for either.

I think my next will be an Intel Atom in a Netbook. Going for battery life rather than processing power.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    I agree, I build my own PC's, still, and have never used Intel, due to spedd vs cost, but speed primarily.
    I agree also-I have built over a dozen computers and except for one, I have used AMD-faster and easier to overclock.When wife looks for a new laptop-we don't consider an Intel powered machine. Her daycare runs all AMD powered dektop 'puters too.:yesway:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Granite Falls, NC
    Shopping for my next processor, expecting some Christmas gift cards from the folks....nice thing about my AM2 socket motherboard, is that I can use an AM3 socket processor with it. Something that used to frustrate me about Intel was that their new processor releases almost always required a motherboard upgrade...AMD, not so much.

Yeah, I will admit when you get to the very top end of the spectrum, Intel does offer higher performance...but man, do you pay for it. I was looking at Core2Quads the other day, and for their top of the line Black Edition, it was over a grand with tax....AMD's Phenom 2 Black Edition at the same clock speed, while about 15 percent slower in benchmarks (from what research I could gather on the Interwebs), was under 200 bucks.

Yeah, I'll take a 15 percent performance hit to save 800 bucks.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I voted Intel because that's been my main processor for most of my computers, but AMD has no downfall. Except the stupid stunt with the three proc processor... :n00b: For the price of that you could buy their quadcore and get more out of it... :dunno:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I am building a budget gaming PC, going with AMD and the AM3 socket. DDR3 and can go dual core for now and upgrade to quad core later.

Get the Phenom 955 black then, its the same chip but 2 of the 4 cores are locked. Unlock the other cores yourself. Total cost $102.00

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have owned a computer repair business for 5 years now. I can honestly say that while I have not seen a significant difference in overall performance between like models of the different brands, I have replaced far more AMD's than Intel's. Which seems really odd to me since Intel owns the market share.

It isn't surprising to me since the AMD's usually use a slightly older gen of chip production which run hotter. Heat is the killer.

Top Bottom