• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MPD179

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Northwest Indiana
    Tons of stories if you Google, "open carrier robbed of gun". It happens and I've seen it done locally here in the small town of Merrillville. If it's displayed for everyone to see, just be prepared to use it. I've had to fight for mine a time or two throughout my career and the real bad guys could care less if your LEO or not. I carry both ways... On duty she's in the open. Off duty... she's tucked away.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Personally been involved in the investigation of several. Posted on INGO before. Summarily ignored by those who say it never happens.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Tons of stories if you Google, "open carrier robbed of gun". It happens and I've seen it done locally here in the small town of Merrillville. If it's displayed for everyone to see, just be prepared to use it. I've had to fight for mine a time or two throughout my career and the real bad guys could care less if your LEO or not. I carry both ways... On duty she's in the open. Off duty... she's tucked away.

clearly an issue of not having situational awareness.

Always blade at 45 degrees.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    If I do, what do I win? They are already "anecdotes" so why bother?

We all win. You already realize that anecdotal evidence is essentially worthless, and that the rarity of the events is statistically so insignificant and the variables so great that it's a terribly ineffective argument against open carry.

Additionally, it's probably been years since anybody posted that an OCer getting robbed for his gun "never happens" and meant it axiomatically, not generally.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We all win. You already realize that anecdotal evidence is essentially worthless, and that the rarity of the events is statistically so insignificant and the variables so great that it's a terribly ineffective argument against open carry.

Additionally, it's probably been years since anybody posted that an OCer getting robbed for his gun "never happens" and meant it axiomatically, not generally.

I've never argued against OC. Same as I don't argue for helmet laws. Do what you want, just understand the risks vs rewards.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Well, I'd have to agree that it's doubtful this is an OC vs. CC issue.

That said, it is strongly advised that IF one chooses to carry a firearm, carry it in manner that permits 'ready use'.

There's little difference between carrying a firearm that is unloaded (and without chambered rounds, it IS unloaded) and carrying one that's field stripped. It just takes more time to get it to that 'ready state'.

Not only does it take longer IF everything goes well, you risk the gun being jammed during cambering a round due to the many variables that can occur during a rush to get a round in the chamber while trying to defend against an attacker at the same time. I agree that a carry gun should always be loaded and have one in the chamber, but it is an open carry issue. That said, of the number of attacks that happen there is still no way to measure if a person is better off open or concealed by one event. I conceal carry and this is one reason I do. I do not have great SA, and I can not change that, my concentration is not what it once was and I know there are times I am focused on something and someone could disarm me. That said a person might just as easily be attacked and not have enough time to remove a concealed gun. Lots of pro's and cons to each method, and one event does not even register other than if you do OC, remain situationally aware.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    CC without a round chambered. Might as well put a trigger lock on it too.

Greeper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    Maybe he doesn't carry a round ready because he has a lousy holster. :dunno:
    How Safe Is It To Carry With A Round In The Chamber? | Concealed Nation
    Personally, I carried unchambered for a year after I started carrying. I carried a G19 and would rack/release the slide before inserting the magazine, then carry. If I ever heard the 'click' of the striker, that meant I wasn't ready. One year and zero clicks later, I started to chamber. That was my comfort zone and I choose not to judge his decision to carry unchambered. He's choosing to carry and let's give him that thumbs up instead of criticizing his level of comfort.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Personally, I carried unchambered for a year after I started carrying. I carried a G19 and would rack/release the slide before inserting the magazine, then carry. If I ever heard the 'click' of the striker, that meant I wasn't ready. One year and zero clicks later, I started to chamber. That was my comfort zone and I choose not to judge his decision to carry unchambered. He's choosing to carry and let's give him that thumbs up instead of criticizing his level of comfort.

Rep inbound. I did the same thing, but not for nearly as long. Then again, I wasn't carrying a Glock, either. Hell, if I'd been carrying a Glock, I'd STILL be carrying unchambered! <teasing> :stickpoke:

Seriously, like you, I had to convince myself that the mechanical safeties were trustworthy. Once I was sure of that, I started chambering a round and have not carried empty since that day. This guy has to build that level of confidence, but unfortunately, now it's an uphill battle because some guy who shouldn't have been released after his prior assault charges tried to crack his skull with a bat.

Why would you short yourself a round?

Blessings,
    Bill

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Personally, I carried unchambered for a year after I started carrying. That was my comfort zone and I choose not to judge his decision to carry unchambered. He's choosing to carry and let's give him that thumbs up instead of criticizing his level of comfort.

I agree, anyone who carries safely should be applauded. I look at it like driving, I would rather someone drive slower than I want to drive than faster than they are capable of driving safely due to reflexes, etc. I do bring up to anyone I know who doesn't the need to have it ready to use with one hand and why. I always thought my dad knew it, and then found out a month ago that not only did not carry chambered, he only put 5 out of 15 rounds in the magazine "to save the springs in the magazine." It is a Taurus 92 so it's not as easy to have a ND as striker fired guns of today. He now has a full magazine, and one in the chamber. I also had him load the spare magazine. :):

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Personally I see this event as a +1 to OC'ing! during the attack what about the extra time it would have taken for him to get his jacket or shirt pulled back? Also a big -1 for the not being chambered in the first place!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom