Moving to Chicago, what happens to LTCH?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoBigRed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Greenwood,IN
    Well, I have taken a job in Chicago where I will have to go through a ridiculously long process to legally own a handgun in my home. To obtain a FFL license (required to own any gun) I will have to obtain an Illinois driver license then go through the long (and expensive) process to be allowed to have my handgun in my home. So what happens to my Indiana LTCH once I have a Illinois license? If I move back to Indiana will it still be honored or will I have to re-aply?

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I think you lose Indiana's as soon as you establish residency in IL. You would have to re-apply if you moved back. Best option is to stay right here.:D

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    u have to call isp and "deactivate" it and when you finally decide you can't stand the republic any more and move back you call up isp again and "re-activate" your ltch

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    FFL license? don't you mean FOID card.... Firearm Owner's Identification Information
    I believe you have to give up your IN license when you move (or live some place else for 6 months) I believe you can either call of fill out a form to let the ISP know you are moving out of state and then when you move back let them know again and it reactivates your license...

this is my limited info off the top of my head, someone else will chime in with more accurate info I'm sure.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I think you lose Indiana's as soon as you establish residency in IL. You would have to re-apply if you moved back. Best option is to stay right here.:D

No, when you notify the ISP of your change-of-address, they'll suspend your LTCH until you move back. When you move back (and you WILL move back eventually), you can have it re-activated without going through the application process. :D

BTW, this question is covered in the INGO FAQ. :ingo:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    No, when you notify the ISP of your change-of-address, they'll suspend your LTCH until you move back. When you move back (and you WILL move back eventually), you can have it re-activated without going through the application process. :D

BTW, this question is covered in the INGO FAQ. :ingo:
    Wow! When did we get one those?

GoBigRed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Greenwood,IN
    Yes, I'm sorry it is a FOID card, so many stupid regulations I got them confused. But thank you all for your information, looks like I will be calling ISP soon. And yes, I will be moving back eventually, but the company is too good to pass up. I won't live there if I can't be armed in my own home though!!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well, I have taken a job in Chicago where I will have to go through a ridiculously long process to legally own a handgun in my home. To obtain a FFL license (required to own any gun) I will have to obtain an Illinois driver license then go through the long (and expensive) process to be allowed to have my handgun in my home. So what happens to my Indiana LTCH once I have a Illinois license? If I move back to Indiana will it still be honored or will I have to re-aply?

Don't go! Commute!

Yes, I'm sorry it is a FOID card, so many stupid regulations I got them confused. But thank you all for your information, looks like I will be calling ISP soon. And yes, I will be moving back eventually, but the company is too good to pass up. I won't live there if I can't be armed in my own home though!!

What part of Chicago? Downtown? If so might I recommend you move to NWI and just commute via the South Shore Train. It stops at several places along downtown. You can then walk and/or take a CTA bus to your destination. Many of us do that.

If you do want to go and live in Chicago then you will be doing a ton of paperwork.

1) Getting an FOID from the state of IL
    2) Taking a handgun course that COC (city of chicago) approves of
    3) Applying for a permit to buy and have a handgun at home in COC
    4) Finally getting your handgun and keeping it at home

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    So don't live in Illinois.
    Hammond Indiana shares a border with Chicago Il, Munster, Highland and griffith are within 15 minutes of the commuter trains (Metra and South Shore), property taxes are capped, sales tax is less, schools are better and the laws, as you know, are much less onerous.
    Besides, everybody knows that the NWI INGO group is the best there is.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    So don't live in Illinois.
    Hammond Indiana shares a border with Chicago Il, Munster, Highland and griffith are within 15 minutes of the commuter trains (Metra and South Shore), property taxes are capped, sales tax is less, schools are better and the laws, as you know, are much less onerous.
    Besides, everybody knows that the NWI INGO group is the best there is.

Plus 100!! As a refugee from Illinois I can tell you, stay in Indiana. Do the commute. You won't regret it. Earn your living there and return home to freedom every day.

Bskurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Yah, I hear the Gary/Hammond area is real nice. :D

If your working in the western or northwestern suburbs, there is no way I would commute.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Two words if you're in Chitown: Molly's Cupcakes.

Molly's Cupcakes: Home

Be sure to order the "Ronnie B."

(Here's a hint: )
    gallery_ron.jpg

GoBigRed

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Greenwood,IN
    Appreciate all of the responses, my office is on the North side of the city so commuting from Nothern Indiana will be a real hassle, plus I want to experience the city life while I'm still young enough to keep up with it haha. Just going to have to go through the process i guess. And Scutter those Mollie cupcakes look amazing!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Appreciate all of the responses, my office is on the North side of the city so commuting from Nothern Indiana will be a real hassle, plus I want to experience the city life while I'm still young enough to keep up with it haha. Just going to have to go through the process i guess. And Scutter those Mollie cupcakes look amazing!

Hmm...Guess which side of the city Molly's is on? :D

Top Bottom