Moving to Chicago, what happens to LTCH?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Yah, I hear the Gary/Hammond area is real nice. :D

Kettle calling pot black I see! Your in Ft. Wayne dude! ;)

Appreciate all of the responses, my office is on the North side of the city so commuting from Nothern Indiana will be a real hassle, plus I want to experience the city life while I'm still young enough to keep up with it haha. Just going to have to go through the process i guess. And Scutter those Mollie cupcakes look amazing!

Well if you really want to punish yourself go at it.
    One can lead a horse to walk but you can't force it to drink the water. ;)
    BTW here is an article from the Chicago newspaper that outlines the 5 steps you will need to do in order to get a handgun into the City of Chicago.

How to get a gun in Chicago - Arts + Culture - Time Out Chicago

Actually while the article has 5 steps since you are coming from OUT OF STATE we have to add step 0 as well. :D

0) Obtain an IL driver's license or IL ID Card
    Cost: $30 for the DL or $20 for 5 year ID Card
    Wait: 14 days

1) Apply for FOID (Firearms Owners Identification Card) card
    Cost: $30
    Wait: Up to 30 days

2) Take an firearm's safety course in the state of IL so your instructor can give you this form: https://portal.chicagopolice.org/po...About CPD/Firearm Registration/CPD-31.578.pdf
    Cost: $125 to $130
    Wait: N/A

3) Apply for a Chicago Firearms Permit (IN PERSON)
    Cost: $100

4) Now you can either buy a handgun or bring your handguns from out of state.

5) Register the handgun with the City of Chicago (IN PERSON) DO NOT TAKE THE HANDGUN WITH YOU LEAVE IT AT HOME!!!!
    Cost: $15

[STRIKE]Can't find the information but you can ONLY have 1 handgun registered in the City of Chicago for your home/apt BTW. Can someone please verify this one please.[/STRIKE]

Incorrect info being removed. Thanks to ryknoll3 who informed me that it's only 1 FUNCTIONAL NON-LOCKED handgun in the house per adult. You can have more handguns but they must be locked and non-functional in the house.

So overall it's going to cost you $305 and take you 104 days (3.5 months) to complete the process.

BTW if you need a place to store the rest of your guns I'm sure the NWI INGO group can help you out. Since your going to make some big bucks in the City we will have to charge you "rent" off course. ;) Make sure you sign up with the NWI INGO social group so you can get some time with your guns at the ranges in freeer Indiana.

Also you might want to look at this website: ICarry.org Illinois and Wisconsin Right to Carry Concealed Carry Open Carry - ICarry.org
    Which has more info on gun laws and stuff occurring in IL.

GOOD LUCK U R GOING TO NEED IT!

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Even if you have a lifetime LTCH it wont be good once you moved outside Indiana and come back?
    I thought lifetime meant FOR LIFE no matter where you live and how long you live outside IN.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Even if you have a lifetime LTCH it wont be good once you moved outside Indiana and come back?
    I thought lifetime meant FOR LIFE no matter where you live and how long you live outside IN.

It's a resident license. It's only valid as long as you're a resident (in fact, the criteria are spelled out in the IC). As soon as you move back, you can have it reactivated for free.

Bskurt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    touche' jediagh......lol. I lived in Illinois for a few years and it really isn't as bad as many of you are making it out to be. Yes the politics are a joke, but the burbs aren't much different than Indiana.

diverdown219

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    N.W. IN
    Wait: Up to 30 days + atleast 60 days more.

I work with a guy in Illinois that has been waiting for almost 3 months. The Illinois State Police have told him twice now that they are very backed up and do not know when he will receive it.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    What part of Chicago? Downtown? If so might I recommend you move to NWI and just commute via the South Shore Train. It stops at several places along downtown. You can then walk and/or take a CTA bus to your destination. Many of us do that.

If you do want to go and live in Chicago then you will be doing a ton of paperwork.

1) Getting an FOID from the state of IL
    2) Taking a handgun course that COC (city of chicago) approves of
    3) Applying for a permit to buy and have a handgun at home in COC
    4) Finally getting your handgun and keeping it at home

This! A small commute would definitely be worth it IMO. Many in "Da Region" commute into Chicago.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I drive to and from every day from Porter County. I have been doing it for 9 years. I lived in Chicago for 7 years. I have absolutely no regrets in making the move back to Indiana (I was born and raised here). The commute can be annoying, but it's better than living in a communist state.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    touche' jediagh......lol.
    Sure am at time. :D;) BTW my comment to use was in purple so it was meant as a joke. Being that you are from INDIANA we are OK. It's "those people" south of us **COUGH** Indy residents **COUGH** that think they own Indiana and all that. ;)

I lived in Illinois for a few years and it really isn't as bad as many of you are making it out to be. Yes the politics are a joke, but the burbs aren't much different than Indiana.

Had my fair share of living in IL as well (Lived near the IL/WI border) and NEVER AGAIN!

dead2rights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    Indiana
    I drive to and from every day from Porter County. I have been doing it for 9 years. I lived in Chicago for 7 years. I have absolutely no regrets in making the move back to Indiana (I was born and raised here). The commute can be annoying, but it's better than living in a communist state.
    Yeah, the People's Republic of Chicago is no place for me either:laugh::laugh:

hi-pointfan1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Gary, IN
    Wow! Im feel sorry for your misfortune. I was born and raised in Illinois and just recently moved to Indiana last summer. They couldn't pay me enough to go live back in Illinois. I don't even like setting foot in Illinois!

You are definitely going to feel violated after they strip you from the rights you enjoy as a Hoosier. 72hr wait after you purchase a handgun... 24wait to purchase a long gun. No CCW of any kind!!! No CASTLE Law!!!

You have what they call a "Duty to Retreat" meaning you have to go cower and hope the cops make it in time to save your ass. You might say, well to hell with that I will defend myself regardless of what the law says and let me tell you this!!!!!! You WILL be Prosecuted if you make one mistake that doesn't follow their law in regards to "duty to retreat".

You used to not be able to even own a handgun if you lived in the city of Chicago, not sure if they changed that yet. However, pay attention to this, I speak from experience!... If you are moving to Chicago and currently own a firearm you HAVE to register it with the City!!!! I caught a misdemeanor because I moved to the City from the suburbs owned a shotgun and did not know I had to register my firearm.

I suggest you reconsider, really! this is coming from someone who has lived on the other side. Yes Chicago and it's surrounding suburbs are dangerous!! No matter how yuppy your neighborhood may be .... trust me. Its just not worth it.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Kettle calling pot black I see! Your in Ft. Wayne dude! ;)

Well if you really want to punish yourself go at it.
    One can lead a horse to walk but you can't force it to drink the water. ;)
    BTW here is an article from the Chicago newspaper that outlines the 5 steps you will need to do in order to get a handgun into the City of Chicago.

How to get a gun in Chicago - Arts + Culture - Time Out Chicago

Actually while the article has 5 steps since you are coming from OUT OF STATE we have to add step 0 as well. :D

0) Obtain an IL driver's license or IL ID Card
    Cost: $30 for the DL or $20 for 5 year ID Card
    Wait: 14 days

2) Take an firearm's safety course in the state of IL so your instructor can give you this form: https://portal.chicagopolice.org/po...About CPD/Firearm Registration/CPD-31.578.pdf
    Cost: $125 to $130
    Wait: N/A

3) Apply for a Chicago Firearms Permit (IN PERSON)
    Cost: $100

4) Now you can either buy a handgun or bring your handguns from out of state.

5) Register the handgun with the City of Chicago (IN PERSON) DO NOT TAKE THE HANDGUN WITH YOU LEAVE IT AT HOME!!!!
    Cost: $15

Can't find the information but you can ONLY have 1 handgun registered in the City of Chicago for your home/apt BTW. Can someone please verify this one please.

So overall it's going to cost you $305 and take you 104 days (3.5 months) to complete the process.

BTW if you need a place to store the rest of your guns I'm sure the NWI INGO group can help you out. Since your going to make some big bucks in the City we will have to charge you "rent" off course. ;) Make sure you sign up with the NWI INGO social group so you can get some time with your guns at the ranges in freeer Indiana.

Also you might want to look at this website: ICarry.org Illinois and Wisconsin Right to Carry Concealed Carry Open Carry - ICarry.org
    Which has more info on gun laws and stuff occurring in IL.

GOOD LUCK U R GOING TO NEED IT!

This is not correct, but you may only have 1 handgun that is not locked up per person (with Chicago permit). You may own more than one handgun, but they must be locked away. Say you, your wife and grown son each have a permit, you can have 3 handguns that are functional. Any additional need to be broken down, trigger locked or in a safe.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    This is not correct, but you may only have 1 handgun that is not locked up per person (with Chicago permit). You may own more than one handgun, but they must be locked away. Say you, your wife and grown son each have a permit, you can have 3 handguns that are functional. Any additional need to be broken down, trigger locked or in a safe.

Thanks! Got my info crossed on that one. BAD ME! I'll edit my post to ensure wrong info does not get out.

Top Bottom