• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    Currently in negotiations to buy a house in Southern Indiana. If our offer is accepted I will be changing my status from Georgia "Cracker" to Indiana "Hoosier." :):

My question is how is the best way to move my private gun collection (about 30 guns, mostly handguns) through Tenn. and Ky. into Indiana. I don't have the paperwork on most of guns because the collection spans over 30 years.

Even sticking to interstates, I probably will be required to pull into some inspection stations with my truck pulling a U Haul.

I do have a Georgia permit to carry and it is supposedly honored by Tenn., Ky., and Indiana.

Just like to get some opinions from anyone who has moved across country with private owned guns.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I don't see a problem with the transporting. I'd pack them securely and place them in a foot locker or trunk that could be secured with a lock. Place that in a secure location in the vehicle and everything should be fine. If an overnight stop is made, I'd want to secure the cargo from thieves and in view of the front desk or your ground floor room. Maybe, even look into an alarm

Hajisc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   1
    Oct 11, 2012
    Westville,In.
    Don't advertise it and pack carefully in back of u-haul. No problem. I made the transition from Illinois to Indiana 12 years ago and was concerned about the same thing but no issues. You'll shortly be in a better place, Welcome

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Welcome to southern Indiana! I hope it's the New Albany, Jeffersonville or Clarksville area. When I made my final move back from Texas, I put everything in a U-Haul. I wouldn't be concerned about proving the ownership of your firearms any more than proving the ownership of any other possessions. As others have stated, I'd be more concerned with thieves than law enforcement officers. Oh, I see from your avatar that you are moving to Madison. That is a nice little town.

Last edited:

cesna250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Warsaw
    Hope you have better success than me. I lost em' all in the Ohio... :) Good Luck With the Move! And Welcome to Indiana!!

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Pack them first on the truck. If a thief breaks into the Uhaul they would have to unload the whole truck to get to them. The last stuff should be clothes and pots and pans. Most thieves won't work to hard to get to the good stuff.

g+16

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    pack up up tight in trunk and don't worrie about them, why would you be required to pull into a inspection station? the weight stations are for commerical companys only, most of my moves in the military was tdy and the first time I pulled into one off the interestate I was very quickly told to not do it again! So unless a LEO pulls you over for speeding, have a good trip to madison, you will like very historical an great views of th ohio river.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    pack up up tight in trunk and don't worrie about them, why would you be required to pull into a inspection station? the weight stations are for commerical companys only, most of my moves in the military was tdy and the first time I pulled into one off the interestate I was very quickly told to not do it again! So unless a LEO pulls you over for speeding, have a good trip to madison, you will like very historical an great views of th ohio river.

This...^^^^^^

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Like the other two said, you do not pull into the weight stations. The DOT officers and State Troopers do not like when you do that. They are only for us involved in interstate commerce which you will not be.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    Thanks for the advice. I have a lockable onsite tool box I was going to pack them in along with about 5M rounds of ammo. In GA some stations required PU's pulling trailers to pull in. Been a long time since I moved. Just didn't want to loose my toys. :):

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Code of Federal Regulations
    Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 44 - § 926a
    § 926A. Interstate Transportation of Firearms
    Release date: 2005-08-03
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

If you can legally own it in your state of origin and in your new state if residence then you can transport it through another state. You can stop for meals and overnight rest. If you are way off the normal route between origin and destination (e.g. sightseeing) then the police might have an issue should they stop you.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    If you can legally own it in your state of origin and in your new state if residence then you can transport it through another state. You can stop for meals and overnight rest. If you are way off the normal route between origin and destination (e.g. sightseeing) then the police might have an issue should they stop you.

This. Plus, empty all your mags and try to lock ammo in its own container. I dont know what the exact laws are in those states, but in ohio for example, a loaded mag by a gun = loaded gun.

Its stupid but its the law.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To DixieJack,

As Slawburger said Federal Law supports this.

Here is a link to a PDF that you can print:

18 U.S.C. 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms

Print the law and carry it with you just in case. IF you are stopped and questioned on this for any reason you can show the officer directly that you are within the law as Federal Law is over any State laws. This means that later, if necessary, the local LE cannot claim ignorance of the law.

I forget the case (east coast New Jersey I think) where a guy lost his guns to LE, sued, and the judge threw it out due to the officers lack of knowledge.

That said, you cannot take a circuitous route to your new home. This means drive straight from Georgia through Tennessee and Kentucky to Hoosierville. Don't go out of your way with the firearms to visit folks in Virginia, Ohio, or Illinois.

Best of luck on your move and enjoy your newfound friend: SNOW!:(

Regards,

Doug

Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    You should take a seperate midnight gun run.

This is actually very good advice, if at all possible. I travel between Tx and IN and have seen too many instances where folks moving or travelling have been robbed or vehicles stolen. At the very least dont travel alone. Welcome.

randygun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    story one time a gentleman shipped his guns to dealer where he was going but it was alaska to michigan

Top Bottom