Moving away from a regular pocket knife, to a small multitool. Any suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    For all of my life, I've always had some kind of a little pocket knife on me. Anything from a Case folding stockman to an Emerson cqc-10. Within the last year or two I've really found myself going away from a conventional big tactical manly looking knife and relying more on a small multitool. I've found that I actually use a little multitool a lot more than I ever used a bigger pocket knife that was essentially the same size as a small multitool. I'm not sure if many of you are in the same boat or not, but I've been trying to find a great new little multitool to replace the one I recently lost. I used to have a little leatherman squirt ps4 that I kept clipped to a streamlight microstream flashlight in my pocket. The combo was incredible and I could barely even tell if I had it in my pocket. Ironically, I believe that's probably how I lost it. I tried replacing my little beloved leatherman squirt with a Gerber clutch only to find out after using it for light duty that the gerber clutch is an absolute piece of garbage and mine broke almost immediately. I was hoping to try something different with the gerber since I've had great luck with their full size multitools, but the clutch just sucks.

So now here I am just searching for the elusive "perfect" multitool. I'm not opposed to buying another squirt, but I'm really wondering if I wouldn't be better served by getting something just a touch bigger that also had a pocket clip similar to many pocket knives out there. I checked out the leatherman wingman & sidekick, but they just didn't have that same leatherman feel to them that my supertool 300 does.

Beyond the gerber and leatherman brands, do anyone have a multitool brand that you'd suggest?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    What will you be using it for? Paladin makes some great multitools for I.T. work, for example.

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Yes, if you are just going to clean and cut your fingernails or open mail; then about any of the micro tools should work. But if you actually want to do serious work with it, I wouldn't get anything less than a SOG with force multiplying abilities.

Last edited:

kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    Check out the Spyderco Multitool. The thing I like about it is that it clips in your pocket and works one handed just like a regular Spyderco knife.
    attachment.php

I used to have a leatheman, but hated the sheath. So tried just putting it in my pocket. Felt like carrying around a brick.

Anyway, I love mine. Carry it every day. Good luck.

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana
    Great thread! Im in the process of trying to lighten my belt load (two guns, spare mag, tdi ka-bar and leatherman wave). Wanting to carry multitool in pocket with clip so it wont feel like a brick. Dont really wanna downsize on tool though. That spyderco looks good. Not helping with your ? I realize, just looking for answers myself.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Things may have changedsince my last one, but Leatherman has been, by far, the most useless multitool I've carried. Granted, I carry one for general IT work, so that is certainly part of it, but I've found lots of tools that are better.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Great thread! Im in the process of trying to lighten my belt load (two guns, spare mag, tdi ka-bar and leatherman wave). Wanting to carry multitool in pocket with clip so it wont feel like a brick. Dont really wanna downsize on tool though. That spyderco looks good. Not helping with your ? I realize, just looking for answers myself.

Tagged for interest. I'm looking for a multi-tool with pocket clip as well.

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Things may have changedsince my last one, but Leatherman has been, by far, the most useless multitool I've carried. Granted, I carry one for general IT work, so that is certainly part of it, but I've found lots of tools that are better.
    Leatherman is the best I've carried hands down but im not apposed to trying something else out. As long as it's not gerber. Will never carry that junk again.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Leatherman Juice S2 is what you are looking for. I have a PS4 that I carry in my pocket while not at work, a Wave in a bad and a Mutt in another bag. The Juice is just right being in between the Wave and PS4 in size and function. It rides in my work pants pockets very day.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I bought a juice S4 a year or two ago and I never really cared for it. I bought it used, beat up and cheap on ebay and since then it's just stayed in the door pocket of the car. The S2 does look tempting though.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Check out the Spyderco Multitool. The thing I like about it is that it clips in your pocket and works one handed just like a regular Spyderco knife.
    attachment.php

I used to have a leatheman, but hated the sheath. So tried just putting it in my pocket. Felt like carrying around a brick.

Anyway, I love mine. Carry it every day. Good luck.
    Dang it, looks like its been discontinued? :dunno:

JustJohnKB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2013
    Whiteland
    I currently carry both, my multitool is a leatherman and I couldn't be happier. But if weight is your issue I would recommend the leatherman skeletool.

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    I've got a juice also and don't much care for it. Checking out the mutt and it doesn't have scissors or an awl which is a requirement for me. I would rather have tools on my MT than knife blades because I always have a knife on me anyway.
    All tools, no blades with a pocket clip is what I'm looking for. UNLESS I can fihue out an alternative way to carry it like maybe ankle carry.

JustJohnKB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2013
    Whiteland
    So I'm curious, do you carry firearm, extra mag and mt on your belt? What else?
    Yes to firearm, no to extra mag currently, multitool on belt but pocket knife with clip is in pocket. It is a bit of weight but all have a purpose, just getting use to it was key for me. That's pretty much the daily carry, more if camping/backpacking. (Not on belt)

saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    I bought a broken leatherman at a pawn shop for $10. Used it for about 3 years (all the was broken was the leather punch). I just recently sent it back to the factory and they sent me a shiny brand new one, no questions asked. I love mine, use it all the time.

The old one had a lifetime warranty. I think the new ones are 10years.

Dorky_D

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I have a Maxpedition Micro pocket organizer that i carry a variety of EDC items in in addition to a pocket knife. This is by no means a bug out bag level of EDC, it just has a few items that I may use if I needed to in a pinch. I carry a Leatherman sidekick in there. It is a smaller multi-tool as compared to some of the bigger ones. I think the juice might be a little smaller for pocket carry, so that may worth checking out. Nutnfancy on Youtube has some god reviews of some of the Leatherman models. He talks way too much, but he does give a lot of information.

Top Bottom