Moving away from a regular pocket knife, to a small multitool. Any suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kevinsr98

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   1
    Feb 12, 2011
    Dang it, looks like its been discontinued? :dunno:

Did not realize they had been discontinued. I bought mine back in the late 1990's (when we were prepping for Y2K! I'll admit it, lol)

Anyway, I did see one, and only one, for sale on ebay right now...

RAMBOCAT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2011
    Take a look at the SOG Specialty Knives & Tools S44-N Pocket PowerPlier Multi-Tool with Half-Serrated Steel Blade and Nylon Sheath, 13-Tools Combined, Satin Finish. For what ever reason a lot of sites have them on sale right now.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I've got a micra leatherman. Love it. Have carried it for about 10 years and also keep a larger pocket knife.

lavready

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Columbus, IN
    I tell you, my whole live I've never been keen on carrying much of anything in my pockets, belt or anything; I just can't stand the bulk and feeling of it. Subsequently I've never carried much on my person in the way of multi-tools or weapons of any sort. However I recently came across the Leatherman Skeletool CX. It only weighs 5 ounces but its SOLID in design and brilliant construction design and detail. It has a belt clip built onto the side and I wear the tool on the inside of my pocket with the clip outside. It fits in the rear of my pocket and I don't even notice it. I have gone from never carrying a tool on my person for more than a camping weekend, to carrying every single day-all day. I love this tool and I do own the larger Leatherman & Gerber tools as well. The're great for an occasional carry and leaving in the car or at the office... but just too heavy and bulky for ME to wear comfortably and happily all the time. Also, IMHO I seem to see better craftsmanship in the Leatherman products. Hope this helps.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    II've been carrying a Leatherman pocket tool since the middle 80s and I've probably bought at least one of every tool they've made. My EDC is a Leatherman Surge, but I have a Leatherman Wave for "dress up". I also carry a Leatherman Juice S2 in a coin pocket and it sometimes comes in handy. While I've owned Gerbers and SOGs of different types, I keep coming back to Leatherman; even my two EDC utility knives are Leatherman (one for everyday, one for "dress up". The first Leatherman pocket tool I ever owned broke and the factory replaced it with a new one - I haven't had one break on me in over 20 years.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Leatherman Juice S2 is what you are looking for. I have a PS4 that I carry in my pocket while not at work, a Wave in a bad and a Mutt in another bag. The Juice is just right being in between the Wave and PS4 in size and function. It rides in my work pants pockets very day.

Yep. Juice S2 here too. Small, and everything you need day day without any extras. Can't remember the last time I needed more than a screwdriver, pliers, blade, or scissors. (And bottle opener)

savage308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Ft. Wayne
    I've always been a fan of Victorinox stuff. I got a buddy with one of the Swisstools and its very well made and very durable.

Jon

I carry a Victronix as well. Went with it because it is slim and is roughly the same size as my kershaw 1550st. It comes in at 7.3oz and my kershaw is 3.4oz. You can tell it is in your pocket for sure but I carry it on my waist as I do not want to be putting my dirty greasy hand into my pockets to retrieve it.

Amazon.com: Victorinox SwissTool Spirit Multi-Tool with Pouch: Sports & Outdoors

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    ALL of my stuff has either SOG or GERBER stamped on it. Why I chose those brands...IDK...but they've always worked and have never broken nor let me down in any way!

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Multi tools do have a great potential of more use, but still carry your stockman or bladed knife! I have always carried a bladed knife and have used belt cases for bigger models.

Bucks and such are a real knife, but the stockman/worker style get more attention now as are easily carried in my pocket with spare change, keys , etc.
    During hunting season, I belt carry a Gerber Multi tool, Buck 110, and a 3 blade stockman in my pocket. I have use for all 3 in the right application.

Hard to field dress a 160# deer with a multitool! Hard to tighten up a swivel/screw with a Buck 110! I like apples, and use the stockman with a stainless steel blade, to cut them in quarters size. Rinse with water and good to go. Peanut butter goes on with the stockman smaller blade, on the apples. Don't discount all the fine workings of each, you need them.
    Good luck.

lava dog 1/3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2014
    indianapolis
    Leatherman is a great tool. Harley Davidson stores sell a very good quality multi-tool. Heavy duty case, tools are quality as well. Heavy file, fine file, a hybrid needle nose and linesman style pliers. Comes with the other usual tools as well. I won one at an event a few years back. Very surprised at usefulness.

ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier
    I love my Leathermans. I have a black OHT as my EDC. And a MUT I keep with my AR.
    I will say I don't care for the belt sheath that came with the OHT though. The multitool is wearing a hole in the sheath from just being carried around. But haven't found a suitable substitute I like yet.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Don't do it. Keep the knife as EDC and get a new multi tool if you want but a knife is a knife. Therefore it will do knife stuff better than a multitool ever could.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have two Gerber multi-tools. I also have leatherman tools but I moved away from carrying them. Why? Because I could open the Gerbers with one hand quickly to use the pliers. Mostly because my other hand was busy, then just because it was easier. My other digit cluster was usually doing something useful like holding something and squeezing a bolt with the other hand...or holding up a magnetron that weighed like 100lbs...or holding up a power steering pump while trying to start a bolt and not having the right wrench. Maybe most of that was my fault for not pre-planning but it sure seemed like a benefit at the time.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    I keep a multi-tool in my bug out bag, just for the compactness and everything you get in a small package. That said, I still like my knives better.

I'm not what you would call an avid collector, but I do have several fairly high-end knives i like to EDC. I rotate them so I don't get bored with any one and they all wear evenly. Plus, once you get your first switchblade, you won't want a multi-tool. There's something about the snap of a blade flying out of a handle that just makes me feel like a kid. I also feel that since they are legal now, that I am obligated to carry one. Otherwise I am un-american, because I am not taking full advantage of the freedoms I have been afforded by the gracious Indiana State Legislature.

I'm not a tinkerer, so having access to pliers in my pocket 24/7 is not really a requirement for me. In my line of work, a bag of Cheetos would be far more practical. Sad right?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I carry a lot of gear all the time. My Leatherman SuperTool (original version) is on my belt all the time. I keep the SuperTool300 in the pocket of my coat and I tend to use it more when I'm out and about. I have a Leatherman Surge in my truck all the time with some other tools.

Given that, I like the Victorinox and SOG tools a little better.

Top Bottom