• WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What I learned from watching the trailer for "Divide":

Sometimes, it may be better to not survive the initial blast
    After a disaster, hygiene becomes an issue.
    People trapped in close confines in a basement after their world is destoyed become emotional and testy.
    Axes and spam come into their own after a SHTF situation
    Sometimes the official-looking people coming to help you aren't really there to help you.
    You are on your own after a disaster. You better be smart and tough. MIndeset matters.

These are all things I had not even considered until watching the trailer for Divide. I really need to get caught up on my movie watching so I can be better prepared.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    What I learned from watching the trailer for "Divide":

Sometimes, it may be better to not survive the initial blast
    After a disaster, hygiene becomes an issue.
    People trapped in close confines in a basement after their world is destoyed become emotional and testy.
    Axes and spam come into their own after a SHTF situation
    Sometimes the official-looking people coming to help you aren't really there to help you.
    You are on your own after a disaster. You better be smart and tough. MIndeset matters.

These are all things I had not even considered until watching the trailer for Divide. I really need to get caught up on my movie watching so I can be better prepared.

Have you seen the show THE WALKING DEAD? on AMC? In one of the episodes, the military marched into the hospital and started shooting people who were/weren't infected. Total massacre.

I don't like to base my survival skills and material on movies and shows. BUT it is a great way to see the MANY scenarios that could happen.

For example: If you and your family where running low on water and you knew of a potential location, would would leave and have your family stay in the house.
    One scenario i learned was from Jericho where ppl go into survival mode and start killing and stealing.
    Another scenario is from The Colony, where someone MIGHT help.

But i agree on a comment you made. Sometimes Help might not be help at all.

Oh, and one last thing. On the show Jericho, when the army came to town. They came telling them they needed fuel for their tank and supplies to make it to the next military base. But in REALITY they where not even military AT ALL! they where going town by town stealing food, water, gas and promising them to bring back help when they reached the next military base.
    Highly recommend you watch this one episode

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I don't think I have ever learned anything from watching a hollywood movie. Not about survival and human behavior.

I am an avid student of history, and particularly human behavior, especially in mobs/groups/clans/tribes/armies/governments. As a survival "guru", its my job to be able to read people and society.

Nothing in movies have ever told me something I hadn't already known or seen.

"people on Jerico go into survival mode and start killing and stealing" Really? People would do that? Who woulda thunk?

Humans are brutal, violent, nasty beings. They will not show mercy. They will enjoy killing. They will kill by the milions when given the chance and they will use their big brains to do it efficiently. Individual humans will kill for a dollar, or over an insult. He will kill slowing, torturing his victim over days because he gets off on it. Humans will lie, cheat, steal, rape, burn, destroy often just to say they did. They most certainly will do it for a purpose like survival.

For each and every example I listed above, there are those humans who will act 100% counter to that violence. They are kind, merciful and generous.

People. I understand them. Hollywood hasn't made a movie yet that has shown me a side I haven't seen.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Have you seen the show THE WALKING DEAD? on AMC? In one of the episodes, the military marched into the hospital and started shooting people who were/weren't infected. Total massacre.

I don't like to base my survival skills and material on movies and shows. BUT it is a great way to see the MANY scenarios that could happen.

For example: If you and your family where running low on water and you knew of a potential location, would would leave and have your family stay in the house.
    One scenario i learned was from Jericho where ppl go into survival mode and start killing and stealing.
    Another scenario is from The Colony, where someone MIGHT help.

But i agree on a comment you made. Sometimes Help might not be help at all.

Oh, and one last thing. On the show Jericho, when the army came to town. They came telling them they needed fuel for their tank and supplies to make it to the next military base. But in REALITY they where not even military AT ALL! they where going town by town stealing food, water, gas and promising them to bring back help when they reached the next military base.
    Highly recommend you watch this one episode

Oh I believe it. Most the military guys I know feel that they are above the law, and would not hesitate to shoot innocent people, just like that show. Same with cops. They all just want to shoot people.

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    Wetsu, you are correct. That is an often side of thing that people over look when focused on food, guns and security. They often forget the biggest threat might be themselves. I have read several writings on one one should do to prevent a mental break down of sorts. Reading, drawing, exercise meditation to name a few , and including things like candy or snacks into the diet as a form of psychological treat. Hygiene is very important and at times over looked in the planning part. Mainly because I think its taken for granted in our way of life. It just goes to show there is alot of planning that needs to go into the process of preparation out side of food and guns. Thanks for the reminder Wetsu :)

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    Be honest:

With the new law that passed indiana a few months ago, where cops can come into your house without a warrant.

What is the possibility of military or law enforment coming into your home and taking away your 1yr/2yrs food supply as well as confiscate your guns and ammo?

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Be honest:

With the new law that passed indiana a few months ago, where cops can come into your house without a warrant.

What is the possibility of military or law enforment coming into your home and taking away your 1yr/2yrs food supply as well as confiscate your guns and ammo?

I am assuming it can happen. It has happened before. It is part of my preps.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Be honest:

FYI: Police have legally been able to come into your house without a warrant for years.

-J-

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Indy guy, I think he's refering to the Indiana Supreme court ruling that says a citizen does not have a legal right to resist an illegal entry by law enforcement.

As far as my plan?

"All Battles are Won before they are ever fought"- Sun Tsu.

By the time the get there, they will find a gallon of stale gas, a bag of wormy rice and a note. I will be where they are not, and when they get there, I will not be there either. I will however come from where they least expect it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Indy guy, I think he's refering to the Indiana Supreme court ruling that says a citizen does not have a legal right to resist an illegal entry by law enforcement.

As far as my plan?

"All Battles are Won before they are ever fought"- Sun Tsu.

By the time the get there, they will find a gallon of stale gas, a bag of wormy rice and a note. I will be where they are not, and when they get there, I will not be there either. I will however come from where they least expect it.

I think that's what he was referring to as well... But that's not what he said! ;)

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Let me describe another situation. My post above addresses them showing up at my primary residence. By that time. I will be long gone. I will be at my BOL. "The Compound".

Now, if anyone, renegades, looters, zombies, LEOs, Feds or mil show up, thats far into a post SHTF scenario, to take food and supplies away from my family and my team, they will get met with the same treatment across the board. There are gray areas however.

For example. A mil unit shows up and needs food. I will talk with the unit commander. Maybe we could work a trade. He can have a cow or some chickens, but I want one of the Mark 19s or a SAW and 3 cans of ammo in trade. No trade? No deal. Sorry captain. Now if he was acting under some sort of gubmint authority, to just grab my stuff, ala Katrina? They get the same treatment as anyone else taking our stuff. Thats why we have 24 hour security, OPs, remote overwatch and lots of marten houses...

ar15_dude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 12, 2008
    what would be your plan of action if a cop or military came in and started taking your survival food and or guns? :n00b:

Well FEMA will have provided my food, and we probably won't be allowed to have guns what with martial law and all, so I guess I'll just have to stand in line to get more FEMA food after the cops or military take it from me...

:):

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Oh I believe it. Most the military guys I know feel that they are above the law, and would not hesitate to shoot innocent people, just like that show. Same with cops. They all just want to shoot people.

I don't know what f%%king world you have been living in, but that is a GD insult to Me and the hundreds of soldiers I have trained with, lived with, fought with for years. I would sure like to know what fing experience you have!

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I second a valid point already made. After "whatever" you and those you trust with your lives and the lives of your family will be what saves your behinds.

And, +1 for the Sun Tsu reference WETSU, everyone should read and learn the teachings of his in my opinion.. PLAN, PLAN, PLAN, TRAIN, TRAIN, TRAIN...

Top Bottom