• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Not so quick. The fish are renewable. The proportionate allotment is an unknown quantity. We can neither know what the total fish population during the course of this man's lifetime would be, nor does the unit time portion (how many fish per day/week/month/year) remain constant over time. The population of Montana as well as the population of fish will change through time.

But then I don't think I ever said I had a problem with regulatory policies that contribute to a steady state of renewable critter populations either.

He has taken the fish he was charged with poaching at a fixed point in time. He wasn't charged with all the potential fish that he may or may not poach. Also, I calculate that I'm entitled to at least an acre or two of public land.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    He has taken the fish he was charged with poaching at a fixed point in time. He wasn't charged with all the potential fish that he may or may not poach. Also, I calculate that I'm entitled to at least an acre or two of public land.
    It's only poaching because the state says it is.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    It is difficult to take either side of this argument; neither matches my world view.

The very existence of supposedly collectively owned 'public property' is the root of the problem. As long as that remains unresolved, I see no good solution to this problem.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It is difficult to take either side of this argument; neither matches my world view.

The very existence of supposedly collectively owned 'public property' is the root of the problem. As long as that remains unresolved, I see no good solution to this problem.

The conservative standby position is that collectively owned property for the use of hunting, shooting, and fishing is a good thing. Especially if they don't want to pay for it themselves.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The conservative standby position is that collectively owned property for the use of hunting, shooting, and fishing is a good thing.

Actually the conservative position has consistently advocated the private ownership of game animals and public resources to improve efficiencies and to help the envirornment.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Actually the conservative position has consistently advocated the private ownership of game animals and public resources to improve efficiencies and to help the envirornment.

LOL. I see nothing but attacks here on private ventures into game hunting.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    LOL x2. What exactly is the conservative movement then?

Heritage Foundation, American Enterprise Institute, Manhattan Institute, Mercatus Center, Hudson Institute, Heartland Institute, inter alia.

You can even throw in Reason and Cato, but they are Right, not necessarily conservative.

I can post some of their work if you are interested in reading their arguments.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Heritage Foundation, American Enterprise Institute, Manhattan Institute, Mercatus Center, Hudson Institute, Heartland Institute, inter alia.

You can even throw in Reason and Cato, but they are Right, not necessarily conservative.

I can post some of their work if you are interested in reading their arguments.

So if the INGO hunting, shooting, and fishing collectivists aren't conservative, than what are they?

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    Wow, I just read all twelve pages of this and may be a little late to the show...

He harvested fish without a license (POACHING) from either the property owner or from the "American People". If caught doing that in Indiana you face confiscation of all property used in the commission of the crime, potentially hefty fines, and possible incarceration. There is NO unowned land in the continental United States.

As I have told many people, you poach a deer off my land and I see you do it you too shall be poached. A criminal is a criminal. I don't own those deer but I will protect them from those with no legal right to take them.

We have laws for the establishment of rules that ALL must abide by. They are here to prevent people from stealing a fish from a lake, but also to prevent them from simply killing the property owner and taking the whole lake. This is no different than me deciding to kill my neighbors cow so I can eat and saying it's my right, "I was hungry".

Top Bottom