• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    According to the links on his YouTube page it was South Africa and the GoPro video let to two arrests.

If this is true, I guess we can look forward to posts about how much the gun laws in South Africa suck. As for the camera, it's possible the guy didn't even know it was a camera or held any significant value.

Despite what some believe, a gun will not stop all crime from occurring. I've watched the threads where riders say they keep their gun in a fanny pack. In this case, what could have been done if a gun was in the fanny pack? Would it have just been taken? Would it be better if the rider OC'd with a shoulder holster?

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I don't know if he noticed the guy running up to him or not, but _I_ noticed when he aimed the pistol. While perspective in the video may be an issue, had it been me, with the way I habitually carry when I ride my bicycle, it looks like he was over 20 feet away initially and that I would have had time to dive off the bike and draw my weapon. Had he been within 10 or less feet of me, I wouldn't have tried it.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Why "or"?

Maybe he's both.

Well, a Mall Ninja would probably find himself in a body bag, while "Chuck Norris" would probably do a forward roll while deploying the gun from his fanny pack, shooting each BG with one round to the heart.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I don't know if he noticed the guy running up to him or not, but _I_ noticed when he aimed the pistol. While perspective in the video may be an issue, had it been me, with the way I habitually carry when I ride my bicycle, it looks like he was over 20 feet away initially and that I would have had time to dive off the bike and draw my weapon. Had he been within 10 or less feet of me, I wouldn't have tried it.

Where do you carry your gun when you ride? I'm trying to learn something from this thread. I will be riding and certainly do not want to try retrieving my gun from a fanny pack. I'm now wondering if a shoulder holster would be a better option.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Valid point, but I wonder at what point you would be able to tell the person running up to you had a pistol? From the video it hard to tell if the rider would have enough time to draw and fire.
    I saw the pistol in the video--you don't, look again. Anyway, somebody running to cut you off is at least suspicious, if not hostile behavior. Depth of field is lost a bit in the video, but jumping off the bike, drawing& taking some cover, should deter those thugs. An alternative (terrain permitting) would be to make a hard left and keep going. It is a mtn bike after all.
    My bro-in-law told me about making a sharp, precipitous, turn to escape some illegals (armed with knives, not a pistol) who tried to jump him while he was biking in the hills SW of LA.

Top Bottom