• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Where do you carry your gun when you ride? I'm trying to learn something from this thread. I will be riding and certainly do not want to try retrieving my gun from a fanny pack. I'm now wondering if a shoulder holster would be a better option.

:scratch:
    In a holster?

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Where do you carry your gun when you ride? I'm trying to learn something from this thread. I will be riding and certainly do not want to try retrieving my gun from a fanny pack. I'm now wondering if a shoulder holster would be a better option.
    If you're going all spandex while riding, a belly-band holster might be a good choice. It would hold the pistol tight to your side, and most come with a thumb-break strap that will keep the pistol from coming out of the holster while riding. On the other hand, a shoulder holster would flop and swing around--unless you're wearing one of those "holster under shirts" with a pocket below the armpit. Only seen them in magazine ads...IDK if they work.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If you're going all spandex while riding, a belly-band holster might be a good choice. It would hold the pistol tight to your side, and most come with a thumb-break strap that will keep the pistol from coming out of the holster while riding. On the other hand, a shoulder holster would flop and swing around--unless you're wearing one of those "holster under shirts" with a pocket below the armpit. Only seen them in magazine ads...IDK if they work.

I'll have to look into the belly-band holster. I know there are shoulder holsters that have retention straps, which is why I considered it.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yeah, I assumed that was the case. I forget that everyone doesn't wear the same gear or ride the same kind of bike.

Ok. Wanted to make sure.
    For some reason.... people assume I'm being sarcastic.
    I guess that's what I get, for being sarcastic.

But I wasn't there.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I saw the pistol in the video--you don't, look again. Anyway, somebody running to cut you off is at least suspicious, if not hostile behavior. Depth of field is lost a bit in the video, but jumping off the bike, drawing& taking some cover, should deter those thugs. An alternative (terrain permitting) would be to make a hard left and keep going. It is a mtn bike after all.
    My bro-in-law told me about making a sharp, precipitous, turn to escape some illegals (armed with knives, not a pistol) who tried to jump him while he was biking in the hills SW of LA.

As stated my question was at what point one would see the pistol, yes I see the pistol in the video but I'm not bouncing up and down, pedaling, and steer a bike.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Well, a Mall Ninja would probably find himself in a body bag, while "Chuck Norris" would probably do a forward roll while deploying the gun from his fanny pack, shooting each BG with one round to the heart.

...and the Lone Ranger would have shot the gun out of his hand at full gallop. Ain't no one gonna hijack Silver.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN

:scratch:
    In a holster?

Okay, thanks for the input.

Not being a smart ass.
    I carry mine in a holster.
    Course, I just wear normal clothes on a bike.

I'll have to look into the belly-band holster. I know there are shoulder holsters that have retention straps, which is why I considered it.

Yeah, I assumed that was the case. I forget that everyone doesn't wear the same gear or ride the same kind of bike.

Ok. Wanted to make sure.
    For some reason.... people assume I'm being sarcastic.
    I guess that's what I get, for being sarcastic.

But I wasn't there.

This discussion reminded me of another recent post discussing various holster options for bicycling. I mentioned that I liked to wear a OWB belt holster like I always do, same one as my EDC. It's comfortable and has the advantage no sweat condensing on the pistol (as might happen with a belly band). Bicycle shorts don't have belt loops, but I just put the belt on over the bicycle shorts with no loops and it works fine. In the thread linked below, one person commented that wearing a belt holster could pose a risk for injury during a fall as you don't want to fall on your pistol, I think he mentioned he had experienced a painful bruise to the hip when he fell on his belt holster.

So I assumed that's where Que was coming from. In that regard, a shoulder holster might be a good option. My thought on that is that while leaning forward on a bike, a shoulder holster might tend to hang away from the torso and flop around too much - might be uncomfortable - never tried it.

Take a look at this thread - see Post #22. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-cycling-just-general-outdoor-exercise-3.html

Last edited:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I road bike, and typically ride between 25-30 miles on any given day.

I don't wear street clothes, I wear bike shorts covered with gym shorts, and a bright workout shirt.

Where I ride, I'm not worried about being mugged, but have considered carrying a gun instead of my knife. Out of all the ways I can think if carrying a gun, I feel like being able to draw the gun would be slow an awkward. I do have the ICE Crossbreed modular belly band. I have used it a couple times while running. So, I may have to give it a try the next time I get my bicycle out.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    This is what I'm thinking.

Sometimes the "flight" option is best. The $64,000 question in this case is were these thugs so intent on getting his bike that they would have tried to shoot him as he made his escape? In hindsight, probably not, since they didn't shoot him in the first place while he was moving. But in the few seconds it took to process the situation, the biker had already closed significantly on the perp, to the point where he was probably at the point of no return, and turning away may have resulted in at least the guy with the gun taking some pot shots. We know how hard it is to hit a moving target, and that for some reason guys like this seem to get lucky and make impossible shots. I think he had the best possible outcome.

Now, consider that he did have a gun...and dismounts the bike and draws the gun. Does that escalate the situation to where the perps decide they are willing to fight vs. flee? Does the mere presentation of a gun cause them to open fire on him from 2 directions (2nd guy runs in from a slightly different direction.). This was a clear ambush situation, and probably a tough fight to win by fighting.

Top Bottom