• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Hey tv1217, did you see that Honda is coming out with a new REBEL model. 1100cc engine, same base engine as the Africa Twin. I presume tuned a bit differently. It will apparently be offered with either a standard manual or the fancy dual clutch DCT transmission.

That's exactly my point. The biggest danger on any public roadway is other people.

Statistically more motorcycles are crashed into fixed objects by their riders than any other cause of accident. So technically the #1 danger is ourselves as we crash our bikes due to our own inattention, lack of skill, or stupidity. Rarely do we admit this or even talk about it.

The #2 reason is people crashing into us. It is actually a distant 2nd place reason, based on crash data. But this is the type of crash that gets the most publicity.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I'd look like a circus bear on a child's bicycle on a Rebel.

And I know about the stationary objects thing but that's totally on us as riders whereas the risk of other drivers has a significant surprise factor where you can essentially do everything right and still end up maimed or dead.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Holding out on winterizing? I was just wondering on when you cover her up for winter. This probably differs on if your south or north in the state. I changed my fluids, detailed her, seafoam in the fuel, plugged in the battery tender. 50 is about my temp limit for going out on a ride. I am hoping I can get out for a ride or two still.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Holding out on winterizing? I was just wondering on when you cover her up for winter. This probably differs on if your south or north in the state. I changed my fluids, detailed her, seafoam in the fuel, plugged in the battery tender. 50 is about my temp limit for going out on a ride. I am hoping I can get out for a ride or two still.

Being on the southern border I just don't winterize. I'll add a little Seafoam and keep her on the Battery Tender but if it's 50* and dry I'll go for at least a short ride. :rockwoot:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    It was mid-40's here, overcast sky with no view of the sun, and occasional light rain.

Plugged in my Hotwired heated jacket and went out for nice ride. With the heated jacket I can ride comfortably into the mid-30's.

I'm in the northwest corner of the state and I don't winterize my bikes other than plugging them into a battery tender.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don't winterize either. Not the last couple, but plenty of years I have rode every single month of the year. Not talking about bone-chilling stuff either, 50-70 degree days sneaking into winter.

Couple/three? years back, I rode north to the family get-togethers for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I don't winterize either. Not the last couple, but plenty of years I have rode every single month of the year. Not talking about bone-chilling stuff either, 50-70 degree days sneaking into winter.

Couple/three? years back, I rode north to the family get-togethers for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Same.

Rode to family Christmas last year.

uIiOYOv.jpg

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Hey tv1217, did you see that Honda is coming out with a new REBEL model. 1100cc engine, same base engine as the Africa Twin. I presume tuned a bit differently. It will apparently be offered with either a standard manual or the fancy dual clutch DCT transmission.

Statistically more motorcycles are crashed into fixed objects by their riders than any other cause of accident. So technically the #1 danger is ourselves as we crash our bikes due to our own inattention, lack of skill, or stupidity. Rarely do we admit this or even talk about it.

The #2 reason is people crashing into us. It is actually a distant 2nd place reason, based on crash data. But this is the type of crash that gets the most publicity.

LOL... Never would have believed I would run into a moving far....

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Never used any of the electrical heating stuff. Good long johns, insulated pants and leather chaps, vest, heavy flannel shirt and leather coat with liner. I do use the toe and/or hand warmers including inside my gloves. Keeps me in pretty good shape for lower 40's up to a hundred miles or so.
    Just remembered I was on Indiana State Road 28 one morning early, probably in the 50's I got passed by a bike with the rider leathered up with a girl on the back wearing shorts. You know she was cold, I bet you couldn't drive a needle between them with a sledgehammer she was tucked in so tight.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Best thing I ever bought for lower temps was just a cheap windbreaker to layer in. Stops the wind from stealing a lot of my heat.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Honestly don’t know why heated liners are not more popular. They are like magic. Wear it under your cycle jacket and all of a sudden a 40 degree day is a pleasant ride. A ride at 30 degrees is actually reasonable assuming no snow/ice and you have no exposed skin.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    39 degrees when I rode out of the garage this morning. It was 45 and sunny when I got back home a couple hours later.

Crossed the state line into Illinois and wound my way to Momence on the north side of the Kankakee river. Crossed over and headed southeast back toward Indiana, hit a few gravel paths after crossing back into Indiana. Worked my way back north along route 41 and back toward home.

Dress for the weather, use a heated liner, and riding at 40 degrees is a pleasant ride :)

Top Bottom