• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Picked up a pair of KLIM Traverse moto pants on close out. They have redesigned their $400 pants and I was able to get a black pair of last year's style for $150. Got the last pair of black in stock.

Level 2 hip and knee armor is an extra cost but for heavy duty Gore-tex waterproof moto pants I'm happy with last year's model especially since this year's model looks a bit more like a space suit design and last year's model looks more like heavy work pants.

Yeah that was fun

It happened to another one of my friends about a month after you got hit. He didn't get airlifted to any hospital, but like yours, it also totaled out his scooter.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This may have already been discussed here, but I am feeling lazy and didn't want to browse through 102 pages. What is your favorite riding route in Indiana? Mostly looking for trips I can do in 1 day, as I'm avoiding hotels right now. I've done some riding around Brown County and surrounding areas. Usually takes me 10 hours to get there, ride the back hills some then head for home. I prefer to go around Indy, usually heading over to highway 9 then west after I get south of the Indy suburbs. If you know some good rides in the northern half of the state, that would be great.

I picked up a rifle from an INGO member trade in Evansville. Swung over from Petersburg to my brother's in Vincennes. According to Google maps, it appears I was on highway 61.

What a beautiful perfect stretch of road for a ride. Long sweeping hills and curves with a few small interesting 'bergs along the route. The highway runs mostly through huge pastures and farm fields, so the view is spectacular. The sky and earth are very big there vs a tunnel/path cut through the trees in my neighborhood.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Not keen to try it again, huh?

Oh it's kinda funny you say that because everyone asks me "So are you gonna get back on a bike", particularly people who don't ride and I just shrug my shoulders and say "Yeah probably" and they just kinda shake their head in a bit of disbelief. As far as getting plastered by a Grand Marquis, no 1/10 would not enjoy a repeat.

It happened to another one of my friends about a month after you got hit. He didn't get airlifted to any hospital, but like yours, it also totaled out his scooter.

Yeah I've been hearing about a lot of similar accidents this year. I'm thinking part of it has to do with covid as more people who might otherwise be either at work, with friends and family, etc are on the road looking for something to do that gets them out of the house, even if that's just lovin' that chicken at Popeye's...

A week to the day of mine, someone died on Broadway in Gary when someone turned at a light in front of him. I believe he was totally unequipped whereas I was in perfed leather jacket, kevlar jeans, gloves, boots and full helmet.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Oh it's kinda funny you say that because everyone asks me "So are you gonna get back on a bike", particularly people who don't ride and I just shrug my shoulders and say "Yeah probably" and they just kinda shake their head in a bit of disbelief. As far as getting plastered by a Grand Marquis, no 1/10 would not enjoy a repeat.
    Spoken like people who never ride and have that level of exposure and being at the near bottom of the metaphorical food chain.

Yeah I've been hearing about a lot of similar accidents this year. I'm thinking part of it has to do with covid as more people who might otherwise be either at work, with friends and family, etc are on the road looking for something to do that gets them out of the house, even if that's just lovin' that chicken at Popeye's...

Tell me about - my wife just ate some in front of me. :drool: and didn't share. :(

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Yeah! :rockwoot:Parts arrived today. About to find out what kind of job this will be.

DSC-0279.jpg

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Spoken like people who never ride and have that level of exposure and being at the near bottom of the metaphorical food chain.
    I kinda get it from the nurses and other medical professionals who probably see this on a somewhat regular basis but as for others they're just the type you couldn't pay enough to take any real risks in their life.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    Yeah! :rockwoot:Parts arrived today. About to find out what kind of job this will be.

DSC-0279.jpg

Good to see you bought high quality parts. Pretty easy job but you may need a impact driver for the countershaft nut. Break the nut before removing the old chain has been best for me. I would say 2 beers if you work fast and drink slow. :40oz:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Picked up a pair of KLIM Traverse moto pants on close out. They have redesigned their $400 pants and I was able to get a black pair of last year's style for $150. Got the last pair of black in stock.

Level 2 hip and knee armor is an extra cost but for heavy duty Gore-tex waterproof moto pants I'm happy with last year's model especially since this year's model looks a bit more like a space suit design and last year's model looks more like heavy work pants.

I really do like my Klim gear. It's good stuff.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Gotta say I was really impressed with my cheap First Manufacturing jacket though. If not for the EMTs cutting it to shreds to get it off me, you'd probably never know it was in a major crash.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I really do like my Klim gear. It's good stuff.
    Honestly among the very best stuff out there, lots of attention to detail, great protection, only highest quality materials, but the prices are pretty shocking to go along with all that. Glad I got a steal of a deal on the last pair I could find in black. These are NOT summer wear pants. I got mine a little large specifically to wear as colder weather over-pants. Slipped them on over a pair of my favorite Wrangle blue jeans, cinched the velcro waist adjusters and was very comfortable, knee armor sit perfectly where it belongs, as does the hip armor. There are front and rear thigh vents but I plan to use these in cool weather so the vents likely won't get much use.

Gotta say I was really impressed with my cheap First Manufacturing jacket though. If not for the EMTs cutting it to shreds to get it off me, you'd probably never know it was in a major crash.
    To my mind any protective riding gear is good gear if you wear it.

I've never tried First Manufacturing. I have a bunch of FirstGear stuff, and my wife has mostly FirstGear brand gear. FirstGear is a middle price brand with top quality features, but just not as heavy of materials, it costs a bit more than ICON or JOE ROCKET but I don't know how it compares to First Manufacturing. Still, the fact that you had protective gear on probably saved you from some injuries, and probably lessened the severity of a few other injuries.

No brand, no matter how much it costs, can save any of us from some accidents. The key is to find something that works for YOU and to use it.

Imagine if you didn't have a helmet and other safety gear on when you got hit by the old blue haired lady.

I'm guessing you will be investing in new gear and a new bike at some point. Might want to upgrade to CE Level 2 pads in the jackets and pants too.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm glad you young guys wear safety gear. I haven't worn a helmet in years even tho I have one. I didn't have safety gear when I got smooshed by the Q-tip. I have a nasty burn on my leg from when the bike laid on me whilst I was pinned under her running car. She thought she hit a rabbit not a Harley. I've had a several close calls since.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I'm glad you young guys wear safety gear. I haven't worn a helmet in years even tho I have one. I didn't have safety gear when I got smooshed by the Q-tip. I have a nasty burn on my leg from when the bike laid on me whilst I was pinned under her running car. She thought she hit a rabbit not a Harley. I've had a several close calls since.

FWIW, I retired more than a decade ago :oldwise:

I have zero issues with people who don't want protective gear. I don't push for helmet laws. None of my business what others do or how they choose to live and die.

But as for me, I'm an ALL THE GEAR, ALL THE TIME sort of guy.

Actually 95% of the time. I have 2 pairs of real moto gloves (summer mesh & waterproof cold weather), the type with palm sliders, knuckle armor and visor squeegees. I'll admit that in hot weather I don't always wear those.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    To my mind any protective riding gear is good gear if you wear it.

I've never tried First Manufacturing. I have a bunch of FirstGear stuff, and my wife has mostly FirstGear brand gear. FirstGear is a middle price brand with top quality features, but just not as heavy of materials, it costs a bit more than ICON or JOE ROCKET but I don't know how it compares to First Manufacturing. Still, the fact that you had protective gear on probably saved you from some injuries, and probably lessened the severity of a few other injuries.

No brand, no matter how much it costs, can save any of us from some accidents. The key is to find something that works for YOU and to use it.

Imagine if you didn't have a helmet and other safety gear on when you got hit by the old blue haired lady.

I'm guessing you will be investing in new gear and a new bike at some point. Might want to upgrade to CE Level 2 pads in the jackets and pants too.
    I was just impressed that it looked like it would have still been wearable if not for hungry EMT shears. No popped seams or tearing.

FirstGear and FirstMfg seem to be in the same range. Just 1M is more leather focused and 1G looks more textile. The zippers alone on my jacket were a clue that they're better than Joe Rocket. Metal YKKs vs plastic garbage

My jacket had D30 pads which I think are level 2. The jeans just had what came with them. I would have been wearing that orange back pad you gave me as well but it was in my cold weather jacket because the back pad pocket was too small.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I would have been wearing that orange back pad you gave me as well but it was in my cold weather jacket because the back pad pocket was too small.

Pretty sure that is a D30 pad that I gave you. Might of come out of my Klim Apex Air jacket? I know it was a CE pad, but not sure if it was a Level 1 or Level 2 pad, because I upgraded that to a CE Level 2 pad from Dianese. The Dianese design is a multi-layer honeycomb that breathes and the Apex Air jacket has a gorilla mesh back for airflow. Seemed sort of silly to include a non-vented pad. Its one of the few design mistakes made by Klim.

FWIW there are different size back pads.

I have a full mesh jacket that I wear when its HUMID and 80+ degrees outside, that jacket only fits a size SMALL back armor. Took me several tries to finally find a ventilated pack armor panel that would fit the back pocket of that particular jacket. All my other jackets hold size LARGE back armor.

I'm guessing your jacket holds size SMALL back armor.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Pretty sure that is a D30 pad that I gave you. Might of come out of my Klim Apex Air jacket? I know it was a CE pad, but not sure if it was a Level 1 or Level 2 pad, because I upgraded that to a CE Level 2 pad from Dianese. The Dianese design is a multi-layer honeycomb that breathes and the Apex Air jacket has a gorilla mesh back for airflow. Seemed sort of silly to include a non-vented pad. Its one of the few design mistakes made by Klim.

FWIW there are different size back pads.

I have a full mesh jacket that I wear when its HUMID and 80+ degrees outside, that jacket only fits a size SMALL back armor. Took me several tries to finally find a ventilated pack armor panel that would fit the back pocket of that particular jacket. All my other jackets hold size LARGE back armor.

I'm guessing your jacket holds size SMALL back armor.

Yeah FirstMfg sells one and it looks about 2/3 the size of the one you gave me (btw, yes it's D30) so I assume all their jackets use a smaller size back.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Sorry to hear that. That's where my brother bought his bike a couple of years ago.
    I was the fencing coach for the owner's son, 10+ years ago. Good family. I only shopped there a couple times, I'm a Honda guy not a HD guy, but the shop was nice. They had a great education program for new riders, also advanced courses, etc. My wife and I took a refresher course there a few years ago.

Yeah FirstMfg sells one and it looks about 2/3 the size of the one you gave me (btw, yes it's D30) so I assume all their jackets use a smaller size back.
    Unrelated to your post, but just curious, how is your recovery coming along after getting smacked by the Grand Marquis? When will you be riding again? Are not back to work yet or still on your back recovering?

Top Bottom