• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    My bike and car are roughly the same size... bike has the bigger motor though. :cool:

QclTSin_d.jpg

That huge dome built into the middle of your seat looks uncomfortable :)

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Are there any victory owners here. I am thinking about a 2016 cross country tour with low miles. My main concern is finding parts and someone that can do more than basic maintenance down the road if necessary.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Newishbie here. Not goning to lie, I dont road trip my bikes. I dont trust the shovel enough, and the sportster is just plain uncomfortable after a couple hours. Nonetheless they are both ridden often, sportster is mostly a solo bike. The shovel has made a couple day trips down to Danville IL area and back to see family, other than that i just fart around about an hour or two radius of home. The sportster is all stock aside from the drop kit, seat, and cams. The shovel is actually an assembled title bike, custom built engine on a delkron case, and still a 4 speed for now. Not sure on all the specifics, i bought it as it sits and other than fixing some wiring, brakes, and replacing the clutch i dont know much about it. Looking to add an evo lowrider or wide glide when i can afford it.

Attachments

• 052A1BD4-74F1-4C77-9D21-A02FC7121A8B.jpg
      052A1BD4-74F1-4C77-9D21-A02FC7121A8B.jpg
      150 KB · Views: 11
    • C9F660DF-90DC-45E3-BD5C-4922D6248904.jpg
      C9F660DF-90DC-45E3-BD5C-4922D6248904.jpg
      172.6 KB · Views: 6

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Lol, exactly. It’s a calculated risk, but I will wear the half helmet occasionally on nice days if I’m just running in to town.

This is my normal lid.

BoNmcpp_d.jpg

I run an older Shoei Multi myself when I leave town limits. How do you like that inner shield? And wtf is that sprouting from under your helmet? Its needs a twist tye and a vajacial.....

View attachment 90359
    Strike a Pose, my first selfie***
    Mines old, I need to buy a new one.........

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I run an older Shoei Multi myself when I leave town limits. How do you like that inner shield? And wtf is that sprouting from under your helmet? Its needs a twist tye and a vajacial.....

View attachment 90359
    Strike a Pose, my first selfie***
    Mines old, I need to buy a new one.........

I prefer sunglasses, but the shield is nice if I get caught without them. Love the Shoei, but it’s definitely rough on the wallet. Had a very similar looking HJC before this, but it was loud, heavy, and just not comfortable for more than an hour or so.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Are there any victory owners here. I am thinking about a 2016 cross country tour with low miles. My main concern is finding parts and someone that can do more than basic maintenance down the road if necessary.

that is going to be the problem with victories and why I’m staying away from them. They were a great bike the few times I rode them on semi days. I wanted a Vegas bad. Polaris was wrong for ending the brand but I think they rebranded a few as Indian.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Newishbie here. Not goning to lie, I dont road trip my bikes. I dont trust the shovel enough, and the sportster is just plain uncomfortable after a couple hours. Nonetheless they are both ridden often, sportster is mostly a solo bike. The shovel has made a couple day trips down to Danville IL area and back to see family, other than that i just fart around about an hour or two radius of home. The sportster is all stock aside from the drop kit, seat, and cams. The shovel is actually an assembled title bike, custom built engine on a delkron case, and still a 4 speed for now. Not sure on all the specifics, i bought it as it sits and other than fixing some wiring, brakes, and replacing the clutch i dont know much about it. Looking to add an evo lowrider or wide glide when i can afford it.

Good looking motorcycles.
    If I were to buy a newer Low Rider I would definitely look at say 2008 and newer 96ci and larger/newer twin cam Low Riders. More HP and really none of the shovel issues and well past the oil issues of the early twin cams. Avoid the 2000 to 2004 models unless you are prepared to do a bunch of cam and oil pump work or paperwork that its already been done. I mostly still run a 1980 FXS and a 2010 FXDC. Other than one needing a front tire I would get on either and drive to the coast without blinking.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I prefer sunglasses, but the shield is nice if I get caught without them. Love the Shoei, but it’s definitely rough on the wallet. Had a very similar looking HJC before this, but it was loud, heavy, and just not comfortable for more than an hour or so.

Thats exactly why I asked about it, sunglasses are a pain when it turns dark and the clear gets pulled down. For decades I bought Bell Stars and Tour Stars, never again..
    I will buy another Shoei because its the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned with over 46+ years of street riding. Money well spent..
    My dad instilled wearing them. The same with my sons, you ride that ****ing motorcycle you wear that ****ing helmet...

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    Good looking motorcycles.
    If I were to buy a newer Low Rider I would definitely look at say 2008 and newer 96ci and larger/newer twin cam Low Riders. More HP and really none of the shovel issues and well past the oil issues of the early twin cams. Avoid the 2000 to 2004 models unless you are prepared to do a bunch of cam and oil pump work or paperwork that its already been done. I mostly still run a 1980 FXS and a 2010 FXDC. Other than one needing a front tire I would get on either and drive to the coast without blinking.
    Im going to be shooting for an evolution motor so 84-2000. If i were to go newer i would be looking for a lowrider S but i dont want a payment on a toy.

My shovel has been reliable but if something were to happen i dont really expect a dealer to have parts on hand to fix it and dont want to be stranded. Thats mainly why i dont go super far with it. My family in IL is a 4 hour haul for me but i know if i were to break down i could have my dad or a friend up here or my uncle from down there come rescue within a couple hours me depending on whos closer. If i threw my stock shocks, springs, and a better seat on the sportster id take it anywhere. That was my first motorcycle, but since i bought the shovel its mainly just been a town rocket / daily rider. I think a dyna would be a happy medium for 2 up riding and daily riding.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Im going to be shooting for an evolution motor so 84-2000. If i were to go newer i would be looking for a lowrider S but i dont want a payment on a toy.

My shovel has been reliable but if something were to happen i dont really expect a dealer to have parts on hand to fix it and dont want to be stranded. Thats mainly why i dont go super far with it. My family in IL is a 4 hour haul for me but i know if i were to break down i could have my dad or a friend up here or my uncle from down there come rescue within a couple hours me depending on whos closer. If i threw my stock shocks, springs, and a better seat on the sportster id take it anywhere. That was my first motorcycle, but since i bought the shovel its mainly just been a town rocket / daily rider. I think a dyna would be a happy medium for 2 up riding and daily riding.

FYI, a lot of Evo parts are still available, but you aren’t likely to find them in-stock at a dealer. MAYBE gaskets, but much else they’ll have to find/order.

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    FYI, a lot of Evo parts are still available, but you aren’t likely to find them in-stock at a dealer. MAYBE gaskets, but much else they’ll have to find/order.
    Perfect, gaskets are 90% of what goes wrong on a stock EVO lol. In all seriousness though, id just prefer a stock evo because they're less problematic than a twin cam and anything newer than that is likely out of my price range.

2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    64   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I retired 4 years ago, started riding my harley's a lot more, started noticing more careless drivers than i ever had in my life, semi drivers cutting you off on highways, people to busy texting to pay attention to where they were going. After several near misses i started selling off my bikes, the last to go was my roadking last summer. I also started having severe issues with my knees buckling but it was the careless drivers that did me in. I do miss riding and do still work on some of my past aquantences harleys.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

I've never been concerned since 1980 where I ride my shovel, its never left me anywhere. I had a rear flat in Lapel on the Dana this summer and thats the first time ever.
    When I do need parts I go the dealers when Im from in Maryland and they just ship. Myself I would never buy one of those vintage harleys, to many well known cam,engine,case, camshaft and oil pressure problems. Why go and buy a scooter that most likely will have or has had huge issues. You easily could buy a 2000 and a thousand miles the cams and chain take a dump and the whole bottom end is trash... Not me. New cases, cams, crank, rods, oil pump and other parts... No thanks...
    As a long term Harley owner ( my first in 1975 ) I just would run away from what you are looking at...

And I will add, if you look and keep up on Marketplace this winter you easily can find a 2010 or newer Super Glide Custom, Low Rider or Night Train for 6500 or less with 15000 or less miles on it.
    I have seem them for 5500 a few times last winter. Sell in summer and buy in winter... Good Luck my Friend...

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Take on payments for a DLS. I have a 17 FXDLS and it is ****ing amazing. I still see them going for what I paid (am paying) with 5x as many miles as mine. It's the biggest factory motor in a dyna, and it sold for two years. IF you find one, buy one.

I want to paint it, but part of me wants to keep it as stock as possible. Going to put taller bars on this winter, and will likely go back to factory mids (current triangle I have kills my back). I also want to be able to stand if I'm going to run over something properly.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    At the speeds I ride I have no business posting this but I thought it was humorous.

3291_n.jpg

I haven't found one yet with a shield like that where the wind doesn't blow up under it into my eyes. My Scorpion has one also, but I still wear sunglasses instead.
    Thats exactly why I asked about it, sunglasses are a pain when it turns dark and the clear gets pulled down. For decades I bought Bell Stars and Tour Stars, never again..
    I will buy another Shoei because its the most comfortable helmet I have ever owned with over 46+ years of street riding. Money well spent..
    My dad instilled wearing them. The same with my sons, you ride that ****ing motorcycle you wear that ****ing helmet...
    Take a look at the Arai pro shade system. The sun visor is on the outside. It flips up to create a visor or down over the clear lens to create a shield. I have a Defiant with this system and love it. This video shows it on the Corsair helmet.

[video=youtube;-w09OIJYx8I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=102&v=-w09OIJYx8I&feature=emb_title[/video]

And Arai helmets are comfortable. I can wear mine all day. My wife needs to stop to adjust her HJC every hour or two and she has one of the higher priced HJC lids, actually she has 2 of them :( For the price of those two HJCs she could have gotten an Arai, a Shoei or a Schuberth. Nobody complains about comfort in any of the those brand helmets. Bonus of the Arai design is that all of their helmets are both ECE and SNELL rated, instead of just the bogus DOT rating. Even Shoei and Schuberth can't make that claim on many of their helmets. But I have to admit that I'm drawn to the Schuberth C4 modular, that is a heck of a nice lid.

I think so many helmets are uncomfortable with poor venting and that is why so many don't wear helmets. If DOT updated their standards to include venting and noise standards, etc it would go a long way to improving future safety by making them more comfortable. Most of us start with helmets, but very few continue to use them long term. The DOT could fix that but their standards are essentially voluntary, with roughly 45% of the DOT approved helmets failing the DOT tests, because they typically don't test a helmet until its already been on the market for a couple years. By that time the model can change and its pointless to bother to test a model no longer in production. But cheap helmets sell well, and then sit unused or turn people off of helmets completely.

Last edited:

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    At the speeds I ride I have no business posting this but I thought it was humorous.

3291_n.jpg

Take a look at the Arai pro shade system. The sun visor is on the outside. It flips up to create a visor or down over the clear lens to create a shield. I have a Defiant with this system and love it. This video shows it on the Corsair helmet.

[video=youtube;-w09OIJYx8I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=102&v=-w09OIJYx8I&feature=emb_title[/video]

And Arai helmets are comfortable. I can wear mine all day. My wife needs to stop to adjust her HJC every hour or two and she has one of the higher priced HJC lids, actually she has 2 of them :( For the price of those two HJCs she could have gotten an Arai, a Shoei or a Schuberth. Nobody complains about comfort in any of the those brand helmets. Bonus of the Arai design is that all of their helmets are both ECE and SNELL rated, instead of just the bogus DOT rating. Even Shoei and Schuberth can't make that claim on many of their helmets. But I have to admit that I'm drawn to the Schuberth C4 modular, that is a heck of a nice lid.

I think so many helmets are uncomfortable with poor venting and that is why so many don't wear helmets. If DOT updated their standards to include venting and noise standards, etc it would go a long way to improving future safety by making them more comfortable. Most of us start with helmets, but very few continue to use them long term. The DOT could fix that but their standards are essentially voluntary, with roughly 45% of the DOT approved helmets failing the DOT tests, because they typically don't test a helmet until its already been on the market for a couple years. By that time the model can change and its pointless to bother to test a model no longer in production. But cheap helmets sell well, and then sit unused or turn people off of helmets completely.

Thanks, I will look at them the next time I roll through Cycle Gear in Noblesville...

Funny thing about Harleys, the last time I looked at AMA they had more records than anyone...

Top Bottom