• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    What..Touring started here in earnest with the 1941 HD FL and expanded rapidly with the 1965 FL 74ci Pan Electra Glide then into the Shovels.
    First worthy Sport Tour was the 1977 BMW R100RS.
    My comment was not a slight to any other bikes. Certainly Harley was a player in the early motorcycle days. By the time I took to traveling nationally in the mid 70's you really did not see as many on the open road as other brands. Around cities there were plenty. I did notice a lot more Electraglides on the open road around 1998-2000.

The R100RS was a beautiful machine, but even in 1977, they were rare. BMWMOA.org says about 2900 units made it to the USA.

The Honda 750, probably the most I saw on the open road at that time, sold 38,000 just in 1977 including the SuperSport model. The 1977 Goldwing US sales was 13,000.

Craig Vetter became a wealthy man making the fairings and bags for the Honda 750, the GL1000 and many other Japanese road bikes of the era. Pacifico, KG, Slipstreamer and a dozen other brands I have forgotten were filling the touring parts industry like never before.

When we saw the motorcycle companies start to offer fully equipped touring bikes, you could see the writing on the wall. No universal fit product could compete with a full on factory design team. In sheer numbers, the market and aftermarket was amazing in that period of time.

I am glad we got to experience that time of history, especially in a country where we could afford to participate if we want to.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    My comment was not a slight to any other bikes. Certainly Harley was a player in the early motorcycle days. By the time I took to traveling nationally in the mid 70's you really did not see as many on the open road as other brands. Around cities there were plenty. I did notice a lot more Electraglides on the open road around 1998-2000.

The R100RS was a beautiful machine, but even in 1977, they were rare. BMWMOA.org says about 2900 units made it to the USA.

The Honda 750, probably the most I saw on the open road at that time, sold 38,000 just in 1977 including the SuperSport model. The 1977 Goldwing US sales was 13,000.

Craig Vetter became a wealthy man making the fairings and bags for the Honda 750, the GL1000 and many other Japanese road bikes of the era. Pacifico, KG, Slipstreamer and a dozen other brands I have forgotten were filling the touring parts industry like never before.

When we saw the motorcycle companies start to offer fully equipped touring bikes, you could see the writing on the wall. No universal fit product could compete with a full on factory design team. In sheer numbers, the market and aftermarket was amazing in that period of time.

I am glad we got to experience that time of history, especially in a country where we could afford to participate if we want to.
    Honda has certainly built some fine motorcycles in the past 60 years. The sad part is that Honda and Kawasaki couldn't hold enough market share to keep building them here. Harley Davidson retains a bit over 30% market share the last time I looked.
    My younger brother is a Hayabusa rider deag racer.
    Your a good egg.

Reactions: Leo

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Multiple Motorcycle Crash on I-70 Injures Six People​

Indiana State Police sent this bulletin at 07/23/2022 06:47 PM EDT
    Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.​
    State Police Header Image 3

INDIANA STATE POLICE
    INDIANAPOLIS DISTRICT
    8620 E. 21st Street
    Indianapolis, IN 46219
    www.in.gov/isp
    FOR RELEASE: Upon Receipt​

Sgt. John Perrine
    Public Information Officer
    317-899-8287
    DATE: July 23, 2022​

Indianapolis, IN - Six people were sent to area hospitals after multiple motorcyclists crashed during an organized motorcycle ride. The crash occurred in the westbound lanes of I-70 near the 75 mile marker, just west of downtown Indianapolis. Today, at 2:11 p.m., Indiana State Police Dispatchers began receiving emergency calls of multiple motorcycles down on the interstate and several people injured. Trooper Dan Magnabosco was first on the scene and located two people with very serious injuries. He noticed one person was bleeding profusely from the lower arm and he immediately applied a tourniquet to the arm to stop the bleeding. Another person was unconscious but breathing. Magnabosco, along with several bystanders administered emergency aid until the Indianapolis Fire Department arrived. Six people were transported to area hospitals by ambulance, two with serious injuries and four with non-life threatening injuries. The westbound lanes of I-70 were closed while the crash was investigated.

Indiana State Police Crash Reconstructionist Lt. Tyler Utterback responded to the scene and determined at least three separate crashes occurred, involving a total of four motorcycles. Two of the crashes involved a single motorcycle and one involved two motorcycles that collided. The motorcyclists were participating in an organized motorcycle ride called the Patriot Freedom Ride. The chain reaction crash began when an white passenger vehicle cut in between some of the riders, causing one motorcyclist to take evasive action, striking another motorcycle. Two other motorcyclists layed their motorcycles down trying to avoid the crash. The white passenger car did not stop at the scene and there is no further description of it.

At the time of the release five of the six injured riders were in stable condition, the status of the most seriously injured rider is unknown.

Anyone who may have witnessed the crash is asked to call the Indiana State Police at 317-899-8577

The interstate has since reopened and there is no further information to release.

................................................................................................................................

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've never been a fan of swing arm stickers but a made an exception and stuck this on my bike today.
    I believe in the sentiment but haven't decided whether to keep the sticker.
    Comments?
    I think it’s subtle enough to be very cool in both appearance and meaning. If you decide it draws too much attention, maybe have the same done but in black?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Thinking of riding to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. 29 hours if we avoid the interstate and visit the small towns.

Anyone ridden to Edmonton? Or at least as far as Calgary?

I don't see the point of riding interstates on a bike, just my personal choice but if I'm on a bike I want to see the world. Interstates show me asphalt and very little scenery, fewer towns, and mostly chain owned truck/gas stops.

Assuming we ride 6 hours a day the trip is 5 days long, that seem like it would give us time to see other tings, also seems pretty manageable to get up to northern Canada. I'm mostly concerned about fuel. Do we need to take extra fuel bladders filled with gas? Possibly a SPRING trip for next year. Looking at a 15 to 20 day round trip.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Thinking of riding to Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. 29 hours if we avoid the interstate and visit the small towns.

Anyone ridden to Edmonton? Or at least as far as Calgary?

I don't see the point of riding interstates on a bike, just my personal choice but if I'm on a bike I want to see the world. Interstates show me asphalt and very little scenery, fewer towns, and mostly chain owned truck/gas stops.

Assuming we ride 6 hours a day the trip is 5 days long, that seem like it would give us time to see other tings, also seems pretty manageable to get up to northern Canada. I'm mostly concerned about fuel. Do we need to take extra fuel bladders filled with gas? Possibly a SPRING trip for next year. Looking at a 15 to 20 day round trip.

I'm tuning in to follow your adventure sir.

Interested in the fuel situations, pricing and such. Also interested in self defense considerations for the trip, assuming Canada is a gun free zone?

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I'm tuning in to follow your adventure sir.

Interested in the fuel situations, pricing and such. Also interested in self defense considerations for the trip, assuming Canada is a gun free zone?

It's dang near a no self defense zone. If your going to be out in the wilds, I believe a long gun is okay with limitations. I'm pretty sure no ARs or standard capacity mags. Used to be able to take certain handgun, I believe they had to have a minimum overall length and possibly weight. And if you use them on a two legged critter... You can't even carry pepper spray for defense against them. Bear spray is okay to carry for use on four legged ones.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    We have the Route 66 trip mapped out because that was planned just before we got our foster son. The Edmonton trip would likely be less traffic and more wilderness, which is more to my liking. Either would be spring/early summer of next year.

NO GUNS in Canada. Sure you can take a hunting rifle but it must transit unloaded. I’ve ridden nearly 1/2 of the Trans-Canadian highway, it’s a very safe country, at least in the rural areas, literally had people offer me their cars and places to sleep. Nothing like here.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Darn fancy bikes with EFI, no kick starter, and a headlamp tied to the battery...
    I need to start using the key to kill the engine and not the switch.

And I went for the very rare (short) ride without gear - how are helmetless riders not deaf?! It was almost painful for me at just 40 mph. Even with my FF helmet I wear earplugs.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I never wear a helmet and I was cruising down 65 at 80mph on my Brother's Ducati Monster going to Rahal's in Bburg earlier today. Racing against the incoming rain.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I never wear a helmet and I was cruising down 65 at 80mph on my Brother's Ducati Monster going to Rahal's in Bburg earlier today. Racing against the incoming rain.

The crashing part aside, the brain bucket sure does help in the rain.

My current bike (Versys) handles quite well on the wet. I was pleasantly surprised that I could ride in the rain at speed.

On the old XT600, wet pavement was a nightmare. Could barely grab traction to take off, let alone stop. :nailbite:

Top Bottom