• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Damn. Every time I get on my bike I wonder if I'll make it back home in one piece.
    I saw a group of cruisers coming right at me last spring, the one in the lead was hotdogging, and took the curve too wide. He went into the ditch and flipped the bike about 2-3 times. This all happened immediately as I passed them. I looked into the rear view mirror, and saw him get up on his own, so I kept going. His buddies all stopped to help. One of my best friends was killed 3 years ago. In a straight stretch of road, around midnight. Nobody knows what happened, but he ran off the road, crashed and broke his neck. My father-in-law can hardly get around these days from injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident when he was younger. Hurt and death is all around when it comes to motorcycling.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    When it comes to motocycles its not IF you go down it WHEN you go down ! Glad your ok !
    I have always said that "It's not if you crash, but when and how bad" I'll keep riding anyway, and pray for those who go down, not that I have any real pull in that department,though.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Honestly, if you're worried about going down, you shouldn't be riding. Yes the fear is good, but it will deter you from paying 100% attention to what is going on. If I go down I go down, instead of thinking about if I'm going to make it back in one piece I uses all that brain power and pay attention to what is going on all around me.

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    You are right! if you worry about going down then riding is no fun, I have rode for more then 35 years now all kinds of bikes from street racing to long road cruisers. And have had my share of "incidents" along the way and it seems everytime I went down I was doing something stupid or crazy. I dont ride without a helmet and gloves and good foot wear though, learned my lesson there!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Honestly, if you're worried about going down, you shouldn't be riding. Yes the fear is good, but it will deter you from paying 100% attention to what is going on. If I go down I go down, instead of thinking about if I'm going to make it back in one piece I uses all that brain power and pay attention to what is going on all around me.

The thought only goes thru my mind as my butt hits the seat. After that, it's all business.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    You can't let that worry you. You can die just as easily in your own car. I say ride, and ride hard. Only way to do it. I just wish I still had my harley :xmad:

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    hey, some people pray to the great cloud in the sky, and some of us just talk to ourselves. As long as you don't answer yourself, your doing fine.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I personally have been riding, and had a car pull out in front of me, and I ran into the rear door area, flew across the back of the car, and body-slid on the pavement.

I know from experience that you just cannot afford to get distracted. But my scarred body can also tell you that wear appropriate protection. Be smart with it. And good luck.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    You are right! if you worry about going down then riding is no fun, I have rode for more then 35 years now all kinds of bikes from street racing to long road cruisers. And have had my share of "incidents" along the way and it seems everytime I went down I was doing something stupid or crazy. I dont ride without a helmet and gloves and good foot wear though, learned my lesson there!

That.

All of my "close accidents" on the street were from hotdoging like a fool.
    All of my "accidents" have been while MXing (again more hotdoging).
    The last one was the worst.... to much go go on the throttle and the
    CR250 sailed into the trees. Truck tire (barrier) took out my right knee, tree
    put the ride to an end. Luckly I had a pair of bark busters on or I would
    probably have said bye to my right hand fingers. It's hard to bend the
    handlebars on a dirt bike.:):
    Tree to the helmet rang my bell. I was out for a while.
    Thought I tore my leg off, no bones were protruding so I was GTG.
    Had my knee drained of fluid about 3 times with a big honking needle under my knee cap.
    Rode my streetbike down to brown county the next day, got right back on the horse.
    That was about 20 years ago. My knee is still numb to this day.

Still ride street bikes to this day, I'm older and more cautious now, and wear my gear, but I do ride a massaged Hayabusa so........... :dunno: :D

Actually, I'm getting up there in years and would like to get into a Goldwing. Hummmmmmm...

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    My rides are short, as an XR650 doesn't feel too good after a few hours. I gotta stand up quite often.

Top Bottom